AbaciHiems

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey,

I do apologize in advance if this question has been asked before. And I also apologize for my English as it isn't my native language. But I'm a complete noobie on the forums and I am looking for an definitive answer. I've recently became a premium member to acquire one of the new 1024 square meter homes that LL provided. And my friends warned me about putting adult related furniture in G rated sims, but for a M-rated sim that my neighborhood is rated at it is considered ok. So long as it's behind doors. One even gave me a quote from the forums, which I'll include here for ya'lls convenience.

But this is where it gets confusing. One of my friends stated that if I were to make a skybox the skys will be considered "public space" and I won't be allowed to have adult related fun in. While another friend of mine claims otherwise; that it isn't considered public place, so long as you've a home and seal off the outside from public view on your own lot.

That being said and put aside, I am curious if it's possible to have adult related furniture and actions within the new linden home neighborhoods if I am to make a private skybox at 2000 meters + above the ground? or would that be considered, and I quote: "public space" ? 

Thank you for reading! 

M rated.png

The description of behind closed doors on General land isn't very clear. At first sight it seems to be very restrictive but on reflection it can't be intended to be.

What does "behind closed doors" mean?

Adult activity on Moderate land must be conducted "behind closed doors," meaning that you must make every reasonable effort to ensure that the parcel is private. This means:

• Allow only a group or specific individuals access to the parcel. If it is group-access only, the group must not be freely open to join.
  • Hide avatars (turn off avatar visibility) for the parcel.
  • Enclose the area behind walls or other visual barriers.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Adult_Content_FAQ#What_does_.22advertises_or_publicly_promotes.22_mean.3F

At first sight it seems to mean that all of the list needs to be complied with to comply with "every reasonable effort". But on that reading it makes no sense to enclose behind walls or other visible barriers as the first two would prevent anything being used or seen anyway.

The way the list therefore has to be intended to be understood as a list of examples of what "every reasonable effort" could mean. That essentially means that it is sufficient to keep your adult activities outside of public view by the use of walls, or other barriers for example using your bed inside your home, inside your boat, inside you skybox, or a cave. There is no need to do the first of the two in the list to comply with "every reasonable effort", just one of them.

If you were to see the list as meaning they all need to be complied with then the vast majority of moderate landowners in SL would be breaking the rules, including all the big rental businesses that explain how the policy applies on their moderate rentals.

In conclusion then the walls of your home are sufficient barrier on moderate land for bumping pixels. You might be pushing it if the walls have lots of open windows, but I doubt anyone would complain. For your own privacy I would recommend getting a skybox for your intimate activities. You can't however advertise a sex party on your land in a large group, hand out fliers, put out notices, or charge admission, you can however advertise it to a small private group you control, or message friends directly with invites.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AbaciHiems said:

Hey,

I do apologize in advance if this question has been asked before. And I also apologize for my English as it isn't my native language. But I'm a complete noobie on the forums and I am looking for an definitive answer. I've recently became a premium member to acquire one of the new 1024 square meter homes that LL provided. And my friends warned me about putting adult related furniture in G rated sims, but for a M-rated sim that my neighborhood is rated at it is considered ok. So long as it's behind doors. One even gave me a quote from the forums, which I'll include here for ya'lls convenience.

But this is where it gets confusing. One of my friends stated that if I were to make a skybox the skys will be considered "public space" and I won't be allowed to have adult related fun in. While another friend of mine claims otherwise; that it isn't considered public place, so long as you've a home and seal off the outside from public view on your own lot.

That being said and put aside, I am curious if it's possible to have adult related furniture and actions within the new linden home neighborhoods if I am to make a private skybox at 2000 meters + above the ground? or would that be considered, and I quote: "public space" ? 

Thank you for reading! 

See this comment by Abnor Mole in the Linden Home Security thread - it might help:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

The description of behind closed doors on General land isn't very clear. At first sight it seems to be very restrictive but on reflection it can't be intended to be.

What does "behind closed doors" mean?

Adult activity on Moderate land must be conducted "behind closed doors," meaning that you must make every reasonable effort to ensure that the parcel is private. This means:

• Allow only a group or specific individuals access to the parcel. If it is group-access only, the group must not be freely open to join.
  • Hide avatars (turn off avatar visibility) for the parcel.
  • Enclose the area behind walls or other visual barriers.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Adult_Content_FAQ#What_does_.22advertises_or_publicly_promotes.22_mean.3F

At first sight it seems to mean that all of the list needs to be complied with to comply with "every reasonable effort". But on that reading it makes no sense to enclose behind walls or other visible barriers as the first two would prevent anything being used or seen anyway.

The way the list therefore has to be intended to be understood as a list of examples of what "every reasonable effort" could mean. That essentially means that it is sufficient to keep your adult activities outside of public view by the use of walls, or other barriers for example using your bed inside your home, inside your boat, inside you skybox, or a cave. There is no need to do the first of the two in the list to comply with "every reasonable effort", just one of them.

If you were to see the list as meaning they all need to be complied with then the vast majority of moderate landowners in SL would be breaking the rules, including all the big rental businesses that explain how the policy applies on their moderate rentals.

In conclusion then the walls of your home are sufficient barrier on moderate land for bumping pixels. You might be pushing it if the walls have lots of open windows, but I doubt anyone would complain. For your own privacy I would recommend getting a skybox for your intimate activities. You can't however advertise a sex party on your land in a large group, hand out fliers, put out notices, or charge admission, you can however advertise it to a small private group you control, or message friends directly with invites.

Hello,

And thank you for your informative reply. This clears up a whole lot for me. It would appear that one of my friends were over-thinking things.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

See this comment by Abnor Mole in the Linden Home Security thread - it might help:

Hey,

Great reply, thank you. You also helped clear out a few tid-bits that I was quite keen into asking the forums about.

On 4/19/2019 at 6:47 PM, AbaciHiems said:

Hey,

Great reply, thank you. You also helped clear out a few tid-bits that I was quite keen into asking the forums about.

I think that this is deliberately left somewhat vague in the TOS or community rules because on the one hand, the Lindens don't want to lose customers give what the main attraction for their customers is, but on the other hand, they don't want liability for some activity that may bring them unwanted press attention or even a lawsuit from some countries.

What I've always found the basic truth to be is this: Lindens themselves don't go out policing the world, hunting for pictures or skyboxes. The world is too big and complex. They do this on the Marketplace very vigorously, but there they can use search globally more easily.

So they rely on ABUSE REPORTS. And the favourite sport of people griefing you, or people who have become your enemies, is to try to AR you for something in G that is not G, whether a swear word in chat or a picture of a nude or adult furniture. So it's a vulnerability you have, that griefers or enemies or just busy-body neighbours who think you are lagging the sim can use on you. 

But most people mind their own business and don't do this.

So really, it's a question of "Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission." If you put out adult furniture in M, behind closed doors, or even in G, in skyboxes, likely nothing will happen. And the worst that can happen is that some net nanny will AR you and you will be told to remove the offending item. Or it might be returned and you'll get a warning. But it's not a big deal.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I think that this is deliberately left somewhat vague in the TOS or community rules because on the one hand, the Lindens don't want to lose customers give what the main attraction for their customers is, but on the other hand, they don't want liability for some activity that may bring them unwanted press attention or even a lawsuit from some countries.

What I've always found the basic truth to be is this: Lindens themselves don't go out policing the world, hunting for pictures or skyboxes. The world is too big and complex. They do this on the Marketplace very vigorously, but there they can use search globally more easily.

So they rely on ABUSE REPORTS. And the favourite sport of people griefing you, or people who have become your enemies, is to try to AR you for something in G that is not G, whether a swear word in chat or a picture of a nude or adult furniture. So it's a vulnerability you have, that griefers or enemies or just busy-body neighbours who think you are lagging the sim can use on you. 

But most people mind their own business and don't do this.

So really, it's a question of "Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission." If you put out adult furniture in M, behind closed doors, or even in G, in skyboxes, likely nothing will happen. And the worst that can happen is that some net nanny will AR you and you will be told to remove the offending item. Or it might be returned and you'll get a warning. But it's not a big deal.

Thank you. This needs to be pinned at the top of every silly thread where the "allowed in G sims" debate just gets stupid. As for LL warnings, etc., I've come to the conclusion that *most* Lindens will always err, on the side of caution. They aren't stupid. Generally (I believe) multiple offenses will trump multiple AR's, because LL knows that many ARs are actually just vindictive attacks against someone.

The adult content rules aren't really enforced anymore in my experience. The general sim I live on has public adult content on ground level. It had less adult content when I first moved in before the rule changes.

However, assuming you would be reported and someone would do something, your friend is wrong to say that the sky is inherently public no matter what. There's no difference to a sealed box in the sky and a sealed box on the ground in terms of whether they're considered to be public spaces or not. The advantage of the sky box is that out of sight is out of mind. Most people won't know it's there, as long as you place it at a different level to your neighbours.

I've had some adult items on Moderate land, in skyboxes and on the ground, and it's never been a problem because they were inside a home and not visible from the outside. The only way to see them would be if someone came inside uninvited or cammed in. Nobody does that just to hunt for naughty things to report on Moderate land. Even on General land it's uncommon, but Moderate land is safer.

As long as you make an effort to keep that stuff private you should be fine in M-rated regions.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.