"are you mad for real, or just roleplaying"?

Milo Meridoc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hey all,

Sometimes during role play there are situations where we have to play like getting mad or so.

Like, if a gorean Master gets attacked by a mischevious slave. He would fight her, and capture her, maybe even kill her...

Or, if someone walks along, and emotes something like "walks by the Master and his kneeling slave, spills a bowl of paga over her head and runs..."

I know they would get mad in the RP, but would they really get mad? Or just role playing it (and maybe enjoying some action)?

I have this friend of mine whos sole purpose in SL is to be in a roleplay. So one day I got bored doing what I was doing and he was the only one online at that time. Normally I would leave him alone unless he IM'd me for a quick Hi before getting back to his RP. Now, I have very little knowledge in RP'ng and the closest one I've been into was at this RP class at NCI.  I was however, a pretty good dramatic actress during my primary school years.

So I was bored, right... and he was the only one available... I IM'd him asking what's on his RP plate at that moment... He said he was interviewing a girl for a position in his office and he told me the sim location. I must say this RP place was not your PG13 sim. Suddenly, I had this wicked idea as a joke of surprising him at his RP location and pretend to be a jealous lover. So I summoned up the spirit of a woman who just found out her lover is cheating on her.. I mean it was very simple... The Real Housewives gave me the inspiration.

I TP'd in, start locating him and true enough he is in one of this office building, found him in one of the Executive room and barged in. Well lets just say he had his pants down at that time... and he wasn't expecting a surprise from anyone. I started 'screaming' like a real telenovela soap actress and used up all the default gestures I could find in V2 to go with my 'screaming'. Of course he was startled and for a few seconds and was about to ask what the hell was going on.... I gave him no chance of course.

I went on accusing him of cheating me behind my back when I thought he had gone for a project site visit and there he was trying to seduce a little girl. He was really quiet for a while.. probably dumbfounded because his storyline had changed. I quickly sent him an IM and said ((Play along... let's see how good you are at impromptu skit)) ... so he did... and he started making comebacks how annoying I was to him and he is not about to waste his time with me. We were arguing like two lovers... meanwhile the girl had really gone quiet and was about to leave when I 'shouted' at her to STFU and sit!... in the middle of argument the girl slowly got the idea that it might just the part of a RP and started backing him up. I knew at this point I would loose the RP so I just changed the direction again and the conversation went into something like below

Me: I'm Pregnant, you fool!
Him: Say What? (in IM: You have to drop that bomb, DUH!!)
Me: Are you deaf? Or you are just as dumb as you look?
Him: But we used protection!!!
Me: You SOB! It broke in me...!! I told you not buy your condoms from those shady pharmacists!! arrggghh!!
/me turns to the girl and stared at her murderously...
Me: You have the knack to have sex with this old git and He doesn't even know his own rubbers! I had to tell him what size he should use!!!!!!
Him: (In IM: How am I to answer that!!?? LOL)

At that point I knew he was running out of idea to stay in the RP.. so I 'ended' the drama with a heartbroken goodbye to my 'cheating' lover and walked off the building. The girl was dissapointed because she thought we would end up with a 3some or something. Later he IM'd me and we had a good laugh over it... he definitely understood that RP is just RP.

So my point is, when you are in an RP sim... anything is possible.. they have to act real. Question is how willing are you to go all the way and how good are you at  controling the scene?

Milo Meridoc wrote:

hey all,

Sometimes during role play there are situations where we have to play like getting mad or so.

Like, if a gorean Master gets attacked by a mischevious slave. He would fight her, and capture her, maybe even kill her...

Or, if someone walks along, and emotes something like "walks by the Master and his kneeling slave, spills a bowl of paga over her head and runs..."

I know they would get mad in the RP, but would they really get mad? Or just role playing it (and maybe enjoying some action)?

Ooop.  Sorry.  I just came here 'cause I thought you meant the 'other' kind of mad.

I was going to go into a lengthy explanation of how all five (5) of my therapists are wrong (not to mention the Chicago assistant district attorney) and that I am quite sane.

But, the point is moot seeing how you are chattin' about anger.

ta ta

I haven't played any of the rps in SL (mainly cuz I haven't found one I like yet) but I rpd other MMOGS for a Loooong time.  For me, as an ooc player towards you as an ooc player I aint mad. I might however hate your character LOL. The role emotion can make you feel like "I want to kill that mofo"  .   And in an intense scenario (long time enemies,  you've just had a bloody fight or something)  it can feel very real towards the character. However, the best of "rivals" you also ...........miss?.....if they are not around.

Emotions easily run high when the rp is hostle. Let it go

RP gets better only through experience.

On the computer, I think it is much easier to RP than to do so in front of a camera like how actors do it.

I can RP different types of attitudes when the situation arises, thanks to my geek childhood when I used to play tabletop RP games. Had to learn how to RP in front of a group of people when I played those games.

Most inexperienced people take RPing people as if they are acting in RL, not realizing that this is all pretend play.

I have had to explain myself a few times to those inexperienced people, because they had honestly thought I was being genuine vs RPing.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a good way to find out.  IM the person you aren't sure about.  Ask.   Alternately, use a double enclosure "(( " or "[[" and ask.  Those marks indicate "Out of Character" communications.  Just don't let the roleplay get to you, remember it's all just pixels on a screen no matter what.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.