Connect the Continents

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some of us (the ones with boats, ships and planes) have been asking for the continents to be joined with active sim corridors.

The placement of the New Homes continent between Jeojeot and Sansara is a great help, and MUCH to be applauded, especially with the boat and flight friendly new ban-line policy.

Well Done Linden Labs!

Now how about a HUGE new development between Satori/Maebelea and Sansara?  Filled with Premium-selling Houseboats, of course!

(Me, trying to balance my negative looking posts elsewhere)

• Like 1

I said this 6 months ago on Reddit when the SSP regions were first spotted:

That's a lot of docks, and what looks to be like seawall protected marinas on the coasts. But the problem is, it's not connected to anything. The Lindens made a HUGE mistake in not defining/sequestering parts of the grid for THEIR EXPANSION, so now there's private regions half-hazardly scattered everywhere instead of say confined to the West, or East or whatever. Which now leads to Sansara-Heterocera not being connected to Nautilus/Blake/Corsica/Gaeta/Satori, or anything being connected Jeogeot. Heck Gaeta 1 is still unfinished and unconnected to Corsica.

What I think LL should do is move all their continents in proximity and connect them up with waterways and whatnot, shifting all the private lands elsewhere. Imagine being able to sail or fly from Bay City to Nautilus and the Blake. Or take a jaunt from the Blake and sail into the big lakes of Sansara.

Also wrote this on VVO last month:

What's sad is, even though you'll be able to sail from the south coast of Sansara to Jeogeot, you won't be able to go from Jeogeot to Bay City or even Heterocera because there is no inlet into the interior waters of Sansara on the South coast. They could do it if they added some more water regions from Omoo, up to Bleaberry Tarn in the Northeast. Or a similar waterway up the southwest side past the snow regions to Nonantoia (if that one river in the snow regions is navigable) or further up to about Keltham. And they would have to add regions, the existing navigable coast line is either too narrow or nonexistent.

As I discovered, they'd have to go up to Keltham because the southern lakes and waterways in the snow regions aren't navigable from the sea or the other waters of Sansara because of the altitude difference in water level (high 80's vs sea level) and the dams. 

Also some of the interior passages in the west of Sansara NW of the Snowlands are VERY narrow and have right angle turns and there are overzealous orbs and nasty ban lines near region crossings.

15 minutes ago, CronoCloud Creeggan said:

As I discovered, they'd have to go up to Keltham because the southern lakes and waterways in the snow regions aren't navigable from the sea or the other waters of Sansara because of the altitude difference in water level (high 80's vs sea level) and the dams. 

20 meters sea level to 80 meters lake level, sounds like a Canal with locks to me.  Great opportunity for a nice bit of Mole-engineering, and maybe a toll-gate.

Edited by anna2358
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

20 meters sea level to 80 meters lake level, sounds like a Canal with locks to me.  Great opportunity for a nice bit of Mole-engineering, and maybe a toll-gate.

They can't do that because water level is set and determined on the Region level, not parcel.  I wish the latter was the case, then they COULD do locks.  This is one of those cases where the infrastructure decisions they made come back to bite them a little, though I understand why they did it.  So there'd be "some" regularity instead of every parcel owner setting it different.

Edited by CronoCloud Creeggan

On 4/18/2019 at 9:07 AM, anna2358 said:

Now how about a HUGE new development between Satori/Maebelea and Sansara?  Filled with Premium-selling Houseboats, of course!

Let's let them finish getting the current stuff squared away.  There are only so many LL workers.  They still have lots of work to do just to take care of the extreme demand for the new stuff.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Let's let them finish getting the current stuff squared away.  There are only so many LL workers.  They still have lots of work to do just to take care of the extreme demand for the new stuff.

Demand is good.  The secret of business: 'Get Customers, keep them'.

I've been to Jeoghot by boat from Belassaria twice now. At first I could blast down there in a speedboat at 65 knots, with no traffic to worry about. The second time, I had a near miss with a sailboat and they were upset. I need to increase draw distance when moving fast and watch the world map.

Going to Jeoghot by boat is fun. Places to dock, things to see and do. Go.

Going to Sansara by boat is pretty much a dud. It's easy to get there, but there's no place to dock and you can't get very far along the coast before you hit privately owned obstacles. Needs more water sims along the south coast.

Luca put up a video of a trip with a large side-wheel steamboat. It's on the Machima forum. The boat worked fine, but it was a struggle to get it through a houseboat area. And when she docked it, she lost the boat to autoreturn.

Travel is mostly working, but we need more places to rez and park boats and cars. Also, fixing region crossings and teleports just became more important. You have to go back a long way if you lose a vehicle at a region crossing on that long trip to Jeoghot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, animats said:

Going to Jeoghot by boat is fun. Places to dock, things to see and do. Go.

Pity it's not possible the get right through to the inland sea.  I sold my parcel there because there was nowhere to go.

Luca put up a video of a trip with a large side-wheel steamboat. It's on the Machima forum. The boat worked fine, but it was a struggle to get it through a houseboat area. And when she docked it, she lost the boat to autoreturn.

We need to encourage vehicle scripters to make changing sit location and pose part of the dialog/script, so that instant autoreturn is less of a problem.  I have several good vehicle like that, and a lot of bad ones.

Travel is mostly working, but we need more places to rez and park boats and cars. Also, fixing region crossings and teleports just became more important. You have to go back a long way if you lose a vehicle at a region crossing on that long trip to Jeoghot.

My recent tests suggest that the tp/region-crossing bug of recent weeks has been very much improved by last weeks test fix.  Only time will tell if they really got it.  Actually I thought last night (GMT+1) that they may have improved sim-crossing over last years stable badness, but it really isn't statistically representative sample yet.  But we did sail and fly 2-up in the Blakes for over an hour without ANY issues.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.