Jump to content
Ciarra Lexington

New Linden Homes

Recommended Posts

Blinks ...The last batch of boathouses went fast, I was sleeping (Australian time zone here) but a friend in Sweden was looking out to snap one up and he said they were cleared out so fast even the one he had up on his screen as available went poof before he could name it and claim it!   They are extremely popular it seems, still waiting here for a linden home myself, I hope they bring some out in my time zone so I actually get a chance at one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2019 at 11:34 AM, Patch Linden said:

This is pretty far from the truth unfortunately.  I have more than enough "server space", that's not an issue at all in this.   Predicting demand, also not an issue, I knew these were going to be very popular.   The issue is, creating a multi-thousand, unique layout of homes is going to take time.  Lots of time.  Alternatively I could take what we have now and stamp it out a few dozen times.   That's not very appealing to me, and I think you'd agree.

I can certainly understand, and applaud, your desire to create unique environments for the new LHs. But under the circumstances, a few more Squishy Pickle atolls might help to mitigate some of the PMs' disappointment while somewhat reducing pressure for you and the Moles to produce. Those regions might look like clones on the map, but given residents' ability and desire to make their homes unique, the Squishy Pickles will still be quite different from one another at ground level.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lukas Thetan said:

I can certainly understand, and applaud, your desire to create unique environments for the new LHs. But under the circumstances, a few more Squishy Pickle atolls might help to mitigate some of the PMs' disappointment while somewhat reducing pressure for you and the Moles to produce. Those regions might look like clones on the map, but given residents' ability and desire to make their homes unique, the Squishy Pickles will still be quite different from one another at ground level.

The main problem with that idea (in my eyes) is that there is no good spot to put another island batch without making it look quite funny and like more of a second-thought add-on than the current one does.  At least not unless they moved over an inaccessible version of the 1/2 land 1/2 sand island that we can see in the SSP area.  They could then drop another island batch east of that (south of the latest batch) and it wouldn't look too horrid or out of place.  Without that island, If you plopped it on the south side of the new batch, given the portion of the continent that is currently there, then it would just look odd.  Ditto with trying to put it to the east of the latest set.

image.thumb.png.51dc1946f78b9d732966ef39cfe83ecd.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was my choice (obviously not knowing all I would need to know to make a REALLY informed decision) I would put the extra traditional houses and the extra houseboats (promised today by Patch) on the original Pickle.   I am guessing from what we have seen on the SSP map that there are supposed to be DIFFERENT house styles in the empty areas between the mountains on the main continent. Adding more of the very same houses in that area would make things pretty darn boring.  

I still want to see "the trailers" and the green roof houses with chimneys LOL.  NOT just fleetingly on the SSP  map :D. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking that other pickles, er, atolls could be placed appropriately around the grid, perhaps by Blake Sea, rather than all surrounding Bellisseria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lukas Thetan said:

I was thinking that other pickles, er, atolls could be placed appropriately around the grid, perhaps by Blake Sea, rather than all surrounding Bellisseria.

Noooo, not at Blake Sea (and Blake Sea ain't all that anyway) - There are already many, many marinas all over the Blake Sea - you can go rent one of those. The nice thing about Bellisseria Proper is No adverts, No Land Barons, no Mega-Sellers like Tig's helicopters or Bandit Boats, No uber-ugly Airports within a ten region radius with laughably-looking fighter jets flying slower than helicopters and getting stuck at border-crossings...

I know I need not say any more. ~Harrumphs~

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lukas Thetan said:

I was thinking that other pickles, er, atolls could be placed appropriately around the grid, perhaps by Blake Sea, rather than all surrounding Bellisseria.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a close-knit community if it were that heavily spread out?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, throw down a few more Squishy Pickles to ease up on the demand... as long as they pick them back up again as the continent is built out according to plan. 

Otherwise we're going to have a big empty continent when demand dies down surrounded by pickles. I like pickles. Pickles are delicious. But... I like LL's original plan for Bellisseria better. 

Would people be willing to move into a pickle boat knowing that they will have to move when more houses/boats are available according to the original plan?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Noooo, not at Blake Sea (and Blake Sea ain't all that anyway) ...

This and the remainder of the post, clipped for brevity.

Blake Sea as it was in the beginning connected to Bellisseria  would have been awesome. But things have changed since the early days. Back then, Blake was a playground for everybody. Since then though there have been certain groups that have declared it their turf, and for some reason LL saw fit to grant powers of authority to certain groups who have truly made it their own and pretty much control everything.

I was one of the very first to cross (and crash) into Blake Sea from a privately owned estate.  I was there from the beginning. Until LL made it a playground for select groups. Let's just hope that Bellisseria never goes that route.  The old Linden Homes areas didn't, so there is hope.

Edited by Gryphon Ronas
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 They should have waited to release when they had enough for everyone. i never even saw the option for the new homes in the drop down and i lost my original linden home by the lake 😢

Edited by luna Datura
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, luna Datura said:

 They should have waited to release when they had enough for everyone. i never even saw the option for the new homes in the drop down and i lost my original linden home by the lake 😢

And if they did that, no one would have a house. That would not be better, really.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

And if they did that, no one would have a house. That would not be better, really.

im confused why you said that. i had to abandon my old linden home to have the option to get a new one. which was all sold out.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, luna Datura said:

im confused why you said that. i had to abandon my old linden home to have the option to get a new one. which was all sold out.

 

Because the suggestion that they not release new homes until they have enough for anyone means that the release would likely be postponed for months from now, at the very least. That would mean no one was getting a new home. I don't see why depriving everyone would be preferable to the way they are doing it now.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure that "making enough for everyone" would have provided the correct amount of homes, either.  What should the count have been based on?  The number of occupied Linden Homes? The number of premium members at a particular point in time?  I think both of those counts would have been too low, based on what I've been reading of people becoming premium or alts becoming premium in order to get new houses, or people getting new Linden Homes that had never had a Linden Home before, let alone had a Linden Home just prior to the new homes coming out. 

I think LL really lucked out with Bellisseria being something that has attracted so many people to premium accounts and in getting a home with a much more restrictive covenant than in most other places, when neither of those had been compelling before for so many.   I also think that a lot of what makes the homes compelling, are also the things that make creating the housing areas more time consuming than just copying and pasting continents out in the middle of nowhere.

I'd often heard of Linden Homes being thought of as 'starter homes', so it is kind of interesting to see so many old-timers flocking to them now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are my thoughts on the Linden Homes...

First off I dont have even one... I also will not settle for one of the old ones because i would rather put excess tier to mainland then have even one of those homes.  Really the only home I'm even remotely interested in are the houseboats and it seems many other people feel the same.  LL should realize the demand and create homes accordingly. Create more islands with nothing but houseboats... also it seems to make sense to me that any avatar that is premium should be able to sign up on a waiting list for one rather then having to camp out at weird hours of the day at the chance of snagging one... its simple LL make a waiting list you will have a lot more happy customers... in the meantime I'm holding onto my spare 1024 of unused land until maybe i get one... or maybe I wont and I'll go get some more mainland... but I will not settle for hot garbage in the form of some old house nobody wants on some old continent that looks ugly af

 

Eva

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Here are my thoughts on the Linden Homes...

First off I dont have even one... I also will not settle for one of the old ones because i would rather put excess tier to mainland then have even one of those homes.  Really the only home I'm even remotely interested in are the houseboats and it seems many other people feel the same.  LL should realize the demand and create homes accordingly. Create more islands with nothing but houseboats... also it seems to make sense to me that any avatar that is premium should be able to sign up on a waiting list for one rather then having to camp out at weird hours of the day at the chance of snagging one... its simple LL make a waiting list you will have a lot more happy customers... in the meantime I'm holding onto my spare 1024 of unused land until maybe i get one... or maybe I wont and I'll go get some more mainland... but I will not settle for hot garbage in the form of some old house nobody wants on some old continent that looks ugly af

 

Eva

Okay, so let's say they open up a waiting list... 

Isn't that still first come, first serve?? How is it really any different? Someone is still going to get left out and complain because the list opened up at an unfair time, or they signed up 0.2342355 seconds after the list opened and they're STILL 12,000th on the list. 

I'm not sure how this would help anything.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Okay, so let's say they open up a waiting list... 

Isn't that still first come, first serve?? How is it really any different? Someone is still going to get left out and complain because the list opened up at an unfair time, or they signed up 0.2342355 seconds after the list opened and they're STILL 12,000th on the list. 

I'm not sure how this would help anything.

It helps in that you at least begin to start moving closer to getting the lot you prefer... where as if every time a new batch comes open you can potentially be last every single time... waiting lists are far more orderly then everyone keep logging on and seeing if the Lindens threw out new houseboats yet.  There is a reason why waiting lists are a thing in RL because they do eventually work.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

It helps in that you at least begin to start moving closer to getting the lot you prefer... where as if every time a new batch comes open you can potentially be last every single time... waiting lists are far more orderly then everyone keep logging on and seeing if the Lindens threw out new houseboats yet.  There is a reason why waiting lists are a thing in RL because they do eventually work.

 

Waiting lists don't work; but I agree with her, in that "I will not settle for hot garbage in the form of some old house nobody wants on some old continent that looks ugly af."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Because the suggestion that they not release new homes until they have enough for anyone means that the release would likely be postponed for months from now, at the very least. That would mean no one was getting a new home. I don't see why depriving everyone would be preferable to the way they are doing it now.

 

To play Devil's advocate on the bolded comment: the other side of that argument is, that demand is apparently expected to be filled, only 'months from now, at the very least.' 😞 Kinda depressing, if you look at it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, kiramanell said:

 

To play Devil's advocate on the bolded comment: the other side of that argument is, that demand is apparently expected to be filled, only 'months from now, at the very least.' 😞 Kinda depressing, if you look at it that way.

Yes, but I still don't understand why it would be better to let no one have a house at all. No one has attempted to explain that, although people keep saying it. :|

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Yes, but I still don't understand why it would be better to let no one have a house at all. No one had attempted to explain that, although people keep saying it. :|

 

No one had attempted to explain that, because they can't. :) It would be remarkably selfish of ppl to suggest that no one can have a home (yet) until everyone can get one. Nevertheless, the realization that it may, indeed, take (probably) up to a year before demand can be filled, is, an sich, depressing to hear too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Evangeline Ling said:

It helps in that you at least begin to start moving closer to getting the lot you prefer... where as if every time a new batch comes open you can potentially be last every single time... waiting lists are far more orderly then everyone keep logging on and seeing if the Lindens threw out new houseboats yet.  There is a reason why waiting lists are a thing in RL because they do eventually work.

It's still first come, first serve, though. There IS advance notice before the houses are released. It's not a long notice because they are releasing them as soon as they're ready instead of holding off and making people wait even longer. 

Let's say they open a waiting list. In 5 minutes, 10,000 avatars sign up. The next week, 1,000 new houses or boats are released. The first 1,000 names get them, right? Does that mean the people already in houses/boats that might want to switch cannot? Or do they go back on the waiting list? Let's say they sign up on the waiting list because they want to switch and they are in that 1st thousand names... so they get a new one, right? And they're old one is released so you have an empty house/boat. So you select name 1,001, but he doesn't want a boat and it's a boat. Is he then stuck with a boat and has to put his name back on the list again and go back to the bottom? Then you have another dude that signed up on the list when everyone else did, because there will be a rush to sign up for that, too. This guy is 9,999 on the list. He's been a premium member since 2004. Why should he have to wait for everyone else to get one before he's even able to attempt it? Or the brand new premium member who sees the shiny new houses and boats (subject to availability, which, as I understand, still hasn't been added to the wording and I absolutely agree that it should)... the brand new person has to wait as well? Because everyone else is already on the list. 

People are still going to be angry not matter what they do. There is no one perfect way to do this. The way they've decided to do it really is the simplest. "Here's a batch of houses/boats... go for it. Those that didn't get one, try next time. We'll keep trying and adding more until everyone has what they want, and we don't end up with a bunch of houses no one wants because everyone wants boats, or vice versa." 

Caveat - LL needs to send emails when they are released. They also need to have an inworld popup of some sort so people either see it in their mailbox or as soon as they log in for the people who don't check the forums, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., etc. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

It's still first come, first serve, though. There IS advance notice before the houses are released. It's not a long notice because they are releasing them as soon as they're ready instead of holding off and making people wait even longer. 

Let's say they open a waiting list. In 5 minutes, 10,000 avatars sign up. The next week, 1,000 new houses or boats are released. The first 1,000 names get them, right? Does that mean the people already in houses/boats that might want to switch cannot? Or do they go back on the waiting list? Let's say they sign up on the waiting list because they want to switch and they are in that 1st thousand names... so they get a new one, right? And they're old one is released so you have an empty house/boat. So you select name 1,001, but he doesn't want a boat and it's a boat. Is he then stuck with a boat and has to put his name back on the list again and go back to the bottom? Then you have another dude that signed up on the list when everyone else did, because there will be a rush to sign up for that, too. This guy is 9,999 on the list. He's been a premium member since 2004. Why should he have to wait for everyone else to get one before he's even able to attempt it? Or the brand new premium member who sees the shiny new houses and boats (subject to availability, which, as I understand, still hasn't been added to the wording and I absolutely agree that it should)... the brand new person has to wait as well? Because everyone else is already on the list. 

People are still going to be angry not matter what they do. There is no one perfect way to do this. The way they've decided to do it really is the simplest. "Here's a batch of houses/boats... go for it. Those that didn't get one, try next time. We'll keep trying and adding more until everyone has what they want, and we don't end up with a bunch of houses no one wants because everyone wants boats, or vice versa." 

Caveat - LL needs to send emails when they are released. They also need to have an inworld popup of some sort so people either see it in their mailbox or as soon as they log in for the people who don't check the forums, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., etc. 

 

What I am saying is if I am 10,000 in line (ill use your number) then i know 9,999 people come before me and I'll wait for my turn... if its always a big race to log in every new batch then if you are just a naturally slow person or maybe don't log in every heartbeat of your life to SL you will be last every single time, never get a home, never actually get closer to getting one, period... its pretty simple a waiting list puts you in an order that eventually will be completed even if its a long time... but the system right now benefits the SL campers and not the casual users... a waiting list also gives LL a better sense of which types of houses people prefer and how many of each type makes most sense... obviously when you sign up on a waiting list you choose the kind of lot you want and your queue is attached to the type you signed up for not the entire pool of people waiting for houses... just the people waiting for the houseboats for example...

Edited by Evangeline Ling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...