Hi my name is Elohima Shepherd. I'm interested in my own Role Playing Sim! A combat sim! There use to be companies on Secondlife to help you with it! But I don't see any! Help Please!Β 

Β Β  Running a sim is a costly affair, as well as a lot of hard work on setting everything up. There are designers that you can contract for landscaping, building and furnishing, but it can be quite pricy.

Posted (edited)

As Orwar said, there are people out there that can help you build, script, decorate, organise, manage and populate your sim, but the best way to see your dream realised as you see it is to do as much as you can yourself. Yes, it's a massive job. Yes, it's very expensive. Yes, you'll feel like you're working a second RL job in the amount of effort, time and cost involved just in the set-up process, but it will also be a labour of love with little initial reward as you cultivate and later maintain it. Which leads me to my question: Do you want to set up this role play sim for yourself, your friends, or open to the general public?

If its the latter, make sure you do some homework. Visit other combat sims or role play sims and see what works and what doesn't. Get ideas but don't blatantly plagiarize. Decide your rules, your lore. Look at what you'd like to do for promotion. Look at possible story arcs; where you want to push your sim a week from now, a month from now, maybe longer. Look at rentals (because people are more likely to play and support a sim they invest in, thought not always), and added to that again, starting, owning and maintain a role play sim can be very expensive so you may need some way to recover a degree of costs (but be realistic). And if you want a place for you to play, that's great, but until it's up and running don't expect to be reaping the rewards any time soon. Ideally, if you are creating a place in which you plan to play, you might also benefit from creating the sim on an alt account, leaving a separate account for role play purposes. Because people will have problems, need help, ask questions, there will be griefers, some script malfunctioning, and so on, and if you are staff then your RP may take a back seat while you tend to the management side of things.Β 

So before you start asking anyone for help, my suggestion to you would be start working on the basics behind the scenes before you even purchase land. Write down what you want, how you envision it, what you think you need, and what you may be willing to live without; basically work on your vision in as much detail as you can. Because when you approach others, they'll need to have a clear understanding of your vision in order to share in it, promote it, or create it with you. You may even find that once you have your vision clearly in your mind, you might be able to find others in Role Play seeking groups in world, and network that way.

Good luck! :)

Edited by RaeLeeH
Typos, as always.
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 1:29 PM, Elohima Shepherd said:

Hi my name is Elohima Shepherd. I'm interested in my own Role Playing Sim! A combat sim! There use to be companies on Secondlife to help you with it! But I don't see any! Help Please!Β 

contact me inworld :)

On 4/18/2019 at 7:01 AM, Orwar said:

Β Β  Running a sim is a costly affair, as well as a lot of hard work on setting everything up. There are designers that you can contract for landscaping, building and furnishing, but it can be quite pricy.

Thanks Orwar!

On 4/18/2019 at 11:45 AM, RaeLeeH said:

As Orwar said, there are people out there that can help you build, script, decorate, organise, manage and populate your sim, but the best way to see your dream realised as you see it is to do as much as you can yourself. Yes, it's a massive job. Yes, it's very expensive. Yes, you'll feel like you're working a second RL job in the amount of effort, time and cost involved just in the set-up process, but it will also be a labour of love with little initial reward as you cultivate and later maintain it. Which leads me to my question: Do you want to set up this role play sim for yourself, your friends, or open to the general public?

If its the latter, make sure you do some homework. Visit other combat sims or role play sims and see what works and what doesn't. Get ideas but don't blatantly plagiarize. Decide your rules, your lore. Look at what you'd like to do for promotion. Look at possible story arcs; where you want to push your sim a week from now, a month from now, maybe longer. Look at rentals (because people are more likely to play and support a sim they invest in, thought not always), and added to that again, starting, owning and maintain a role play sim can be very expensive so you may need some way to recover a degree of costs (but be realistic). And if you want a place for you to play, that's great, but until it's up and running don't expect to be reaping the rewards any time soon. Ideally, if you are creating a place in which you plan to play, you might also benefit from creating the sim on an alt account, leaving a separate account for role play purposes. Because people will have problems, need help, ask questions, there will be griefers, some script malfunctioning, and so on, and if you are staff then your RP may take a back seat while you tend to the management side of things.Β 

So before you start asking anyone for help, my suggestion to you would be start working on the basics behind the scenes before you even purchase land. Write down what you want, how you envision it, what you think you need, and what you may be willing to live without; basically work on your vision in as much detail as you can. Because when you approach others, they'll need to have a clear understanding of your vision in order to share in it, promote it, or create it with you. You may even find that once you have your vision clearly in your mind, you might be able to find others in Role Play seeking groups in world, and network that way.

Good luck! :)

Thanks RaeLeeH It will be open to the public and based on the storyline of Elohima Shepherd! I will have to get a Sim first! But Thanks for your input!😊

• Like 1

Rule 1: Make sure you can afford it on your own.

Don't expect to make some money back with rentals or donations, you have to make a calculated investment, so make sure you can afford it on your own for months if not years to come.
I see sims, RP and other wise, springing up all the time and they go as quick as they come. As far as RP ones I've even seen some that take so long to build they never get to the phase where they try to get people to rent to cover the costs of the place and it just dies before it even officially opens.

Also, in your specific case, regarding a combat RP sim, good luck with the cheaters and everything around that point.
Anyone with a decent computer and skills that annihilates someone running SL at 10 FPS will be accused of cheating, and then you will have genuine ones that just can't help but spoil it for everyone.

You didn't mention a theme, but that's always a catch 22, in one hand you want as many players as possible, and that means few limitations, on the other hand when you place not limits on what an avatar can be you went up with an incoherentΒ mess where everyone follows nothing but their own rules, which always ends up in a city of 100 "last surviving members of so-and-so species."

I wish you good luck in your project because you will need it.

• Like 1