Posting to Flickr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently i have been unable to post directly to Flickr,it tells me I cannot connect to Flickr, is this an issue with SL or my computer? I tried to reset my Flickr settings but I cannot do that either.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, janetosilio said:

I mainly post on there by uploading, but they recently changed something with the login....again. 

That might have something to do with it.

I agree with Jane. Flickr is changing everyones log in...I now have new password and log into flickr direct. (There is no connection to Yahoo anymore). 

I download pictures to home computer then upload to flickr but tonight I will try direct from SL and see if it works. 

59 minutes ago, CheriColette said:

I agree with Jane. Flickr is changing everyones log in...I now have new password and log into flickr direct. (There is no connection to Yahoo anymore). 

I download pictures to home computer then upload to flickr but tonight I will try direct from SL and see if it works. 

I did the same way, but it's an inconvenience.

45 minutes ago, Lureo said:

I always asked myself why so many people used Flicks in SL

It is a lot easier when you can just upload directly, and it is another community where you can get feedback on your pictures.

• Like 1

I tried direct post to flickr and its not working.

SL instructions are:

Opting in to Second Life Share for Flickr
The first time you use SL Share for Flickr, we guide you through the process of opting in.  Unless you disconnect your Second Life account from Flickr, you will not need to opt in again:

Choose Communicate > Flickr... from the top menu bar to open the Upload to Flickr window.
Click the Account tab of the Upload to Flickr window.
Click the Connect button; this opens a browser window inside Second Life.
Provide your Yahoo credentials as requested, then click Sign In to sign into your Flickr account.
Review the permissions you will be granting Second Life in order to upload photos, then click OK, I'LL AUTHORIZE IT to complete the opt-in process.

So it looks like it was a yahoo thing. We might need to ask the new flickr owners to make a path again for us. 

PS...I send message to Flickr team and will come back if I get answer. 

Edited by CheriColette
PS
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lureo said:

I always asked myself why so many people used Flicks in SL

• Unlimited storage for free (recently reduced to 'only' 1k photos with no real size limit)
  • Handles a wide range of aspect ratios and resolutions
  • Adult content friendly; yet also allows you to filter out such content
  • Like/fave and comment systems that are just as good as the alternatives
  • Groups help with self-publicity
  • And a massive community is self-sustaining by nature

On paper it's better than any major alternative, and the fact that every already uses Flickr gives it a massive advantage over any smaller competitor. A better question would be "why would we use anything else?"

• Like 6

In general, this year can be Flickr very unstable, its in the long time process of moving from previous owner's (Yahoo) servers to the new ones.

More details, if you are interested:

https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157707090281734/

The new login is part of that, a lot of users weren't happy in the past to be forced to use unpopular yahoo email for logins, now we don't have to anymore and we are free to use any email we want.

If you are active Flickr users, is always good idea to check Flickr official blog or help forum, there are news, info about planned changes etc. And this year its more important than before for the reasons I meantioned above.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2019 at 7:39 AM, Talligurl said:

Recently i have been unable to post directly to Flickr,it tells me I cannot connect to Flickr, is this an issue with SL or my computer? I tried to reset my Flickr settings but I cannot do that either.

I just noticed I can't post using the Flickr "floater" in FIreStorm viewer, either.  The "Account" button won't let me change the password to the new value (I updated my log-in from Yahoo! last month.

Answer from Flickr

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention.

I appreciate you reaching out to us to let us know that you are experiencing an issue with not being send snapshots directly to flickr. At this time, our engineers have been alerted and are working to resolve any issues that may have popped up recently.

At this time we are in the process of migrating Flickr away from Yahoo servers and onto our own system built on top of Amazon Web Services that, once complete, will be able to provide more stability, fewer downtime Panda pages, and will allow us to focus on building a better Flickr experience for our users. While this migration is taking place, you may notice a few more hiccups than usual as we transfer over 100 million accounts and several billion photos over to a new home, and we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience this may cause.

While we do not have an exact time frame for a resolution, our engineers are now aware and investigating this issue and hope to have a fix rolled out shortly. We sincerely appreciate your patience in this as we dig into what could be causing this issue.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, as we’d be happy to help.

Sincerely,

(name removed)
Flickr Support

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Yes it is Thursday evening and I just heard about this and discovered that I can't post to flickr from Second Life as well.  I thought I did on Monday. And with Fantasy Faire as well as our sim events going on this is no fun.  Guess the new continent broke it. lol

I also filed a support ticket at Flickr later.  24hours later still no reply.

Edited by Caleb Kit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chav Paderborn said:

I also have this problem, I have emailled Flickr help because I tried Firestorm and the official viewer (latest update) and neither of them can make a connection to Flickr. 

We already talked about need to get it fixed on LL side in the other thread:

• Like 1

Ok....I'm relieved it's not just me LOL. Thanks for the update from Flickr, I assumed it was something to do with them restructuring their format. I'm uploading my pics the old-fashioned way for now. Hope they get it resolved soon! :) 

Edited by Aletha Valeeva
  • Like 1

The inability to post directly to Flickr is frustrating but thankfully not the end of the world as they have alternative upload methods - they just omit the extra bits like location details & tags which you have to manually set. I expect that once they complete the migration (which I had to undergo twice as it somehow immigrated my logon back to my yahoo one) this will all get resolved.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.