Jump to content
Constantine Linden

Security/Privacy and New Linden Homes

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

till  17th you mean...

might be the only one in this halleluja thread, but i don't like it.
Another premium perk ruined for the pleasure of whining travelers... who btw don't pay for my tierlevels.
People who want to have reasonable privacy are only safe at mainland and private estates.
"community feeling" ... bleghhh
 

I couldn't agree more. But as you pointed out, it's a hallelujah thread, and dissenting opinions are not welcome.

Some of us just happen to like a bit of solitude. So if expressing that means we're not welcomed into the community, all I can say to that is, thank you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Yes. The rule is " No skyboxes below 2000M " ... which implies that over 2000M you can indeed place a skybox.

but quite useless to take a Linden Home for that, it will cost you the LI ..and more restrictions, at the mainland you'r better off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

People who want to have reasonable privacy are only safe at mainland and private estates.
"community feeling" ... bleghhh

Ethan, to this point, land owners have had their own way almost entirely, with pretty much complete control over the full extent of their air space, and the amount of warning time given by security orbs. What this new approach does not do is strip all of that away. It's a compromise that merely limits your control.

I'm really unclear what you mean by "reasonable" here, in that context. Given what you've said elsewhere, and your response to a new approach that will in practice likely limit flying vehicle users to a roughly 1000m corridor (between the reach of the ground security orb, and any associated with skyboxes at 2000m and above), it's hard not to conclude that, for you, "reasonable" means "whatever I want."

Why not give this a shot? Let's see how it works!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It is now 6.40 am SLT and my friends neighbour still has BAN LINES. Clearly something has gone wrong.

Edited by LucyHerne
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Why not give this a shot? Let's see how it works!

nope, already abandoned the premium homes, don't want to live at a place where the rules change after thousends are already in.... prefer to pcik my own landlord, i don't expect those unreliable tricks from LL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone needs to tell Constantine Linden that the ban on Ban Lines doesn't seem to be retroactive. I see several plots still with active ban lines.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ethan Paslong said:

nope, already abandoned the premium homes, don't want to live at a place where the rules change after thousends are already in.... prefer to pcik my own landlord, i don't expect those unreliable tricks from LL.

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that, Ethan. I wish you'd be bit more open to compromise and new approaches.

In any case, I wish you well in whatever new digs you find for yourself.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LucyHerne said:

It is now 6.40 am SLT and my friends neighbour still has BAN LINES. Clearly something has gone wrong.

No, they will not take all down at once, but work region by region. Or else they will get a storm of complaints the same time. I think they begin when office hours start. Huh, the Lindens and moles work like crazy now, so let them sleep at night. They will soon have to deal with angry people. 😩

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If people really want a little privacy then do what I've done and put a simple mesh skybox up above 2000m and buy a cheap basic tp system on MarketPlace or use landmarks.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I still don't get it... If some people crave for solitude, why not simply go to a private sim? Or why even bother staying in a social game like SL?

But don't you guys worry: We've been asking for ban lines to be removed for as long as I can remember (2005, in my case), and LL has never agreed with it. I doubt they will go that way in the rest of the mainland, unfortunately.

But, try as I may, I can't help but get a "get out of my lawn" vibe out of these people.

Edited by Marsellus Walcott
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Constantine Linden said:

We want to thank everyone for the kind words they have expressed in the last 24 hours since Linden Homes has launched its first phase of homes. We are delighted so many of you are enjoying the homes, the decor, and especially the feel of community. As part of fostering that community feel, we are going to address two changes that are occurring over the next week or so (and explain our reasoning).

The first is that at 6am SLT on Wed April 17th, we are going to uncheck the box on the Linden Homes estate that allows parcel owners access restrictions to be more restrictive than the estate. Meaning: no ban lines. It's our belief that with a sense of community being a main goal of Linden Homes, ban lines send the wrong message. Parcel owners can still ban troublesome individuals by name on their parcel but they will not be able to put their land in virtual lock down by restricting access to group only.

The second goes hand in hand with parcel access, and that is security devices. We want to allow Residents to fly, walk, drive, sail and explore freely across Bellisseria without compromising Residents privacy and security on their own parcels. To that end we are allowing the use of security orbs. However, since many orbs can be set in ways that preclude even the most innocent of straying across a parcel boundary or being sent home even though you are 500m in the sky we are forced to come up with a compromise. 

You may use your personal security orbs or devices in Linden Homes for now, but early next week: we are going to provide you with an approved device via the Linden Homes Content Packs. It will work just as aggressively in protecting your homes from unwanted intrusion, but still reasonably allow Residents to explore without fear of being ejected or teleported home without warning. Once those are added to the Linden Homes Content Packs, the use of other scripted security devices will not be allowed and this will be noted in an update to the Linden Homes covenant.

 

So, to recap:

- Ban lines will go away for Linden Homes starting 6am SLT on Wed April 17th

- Linden-supplied security orbs will be distributed via the Linden Homes Content Creation Packs early next week

- Personal security orbs/devices will be allowed from the above date until approved security orbs are distributed (and not after)

 

We’re thrilled you’re enjoying Linden Homes and we’re excited for everything else to come!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marianne, I hope u manage to get a houseboat, they're lovely. This is the first time I've tried a Linden Home and it was the water access that really excited me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BobbieEarhart said:

If people really want a little privacy then do what I've done and put a simple mesh skybox up above 2000m and buy a cheap basic tp system on MarketPlace or use landmarks.

I think that this misses the point, and it also plays into the false narrative that LL is stripping parcel owners of their rights to privacy at the ground level.

In practice, LL homeowners still have a number of tools at their disposal to ensure that they can have real privacy, even on the ground. What this effectively does is open up a smallish corridor for flying vehicles, and take away people's right to shoot trespassers on sight.

For probably 99% of the time, privacy in the home will still be secure.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BobbieEarhart said:

If people really want a little privacy then do what I've done and put a simple mesh skybox up above 2000m and buy a cheap basic tp system on MarketPlace or use landmarks.

there are no clear rules about privacy there, and why occupy a Linden Home while you want to live in a skybox?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a premium member my privacy settings were turned off today...  I was told it was because of complaints about the ban lines? You can turn those off in your settings!!! An orb may be only one prim but that is one prim that I can use for other things. The whole idea of having land under premium member ship is to use these settings. Otherwise others can just walk into your land.  People need to learn how to use their settings not penalize others for their ignorance. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think that this misses the point, and it also plays into the false narrative that LL is stripping parcel owners of their rights to privacy at the ground level.

In practice, LL homeowners still have a number of tools at their disposal to ensure that they can have real privacy, even on the ground. What this effectively does is open up a smallish corridor for flying vehicles, and take away people's right to shoot trespassers on sight.

For probably 99% of the time, privacy in the home will still be secure.

Not just flying vehicles, but especially land and floating ones as well. These can have a real hard time getting around ban lines.

Ban list and ignore. That's, ultimately, all the tools most will ever need, imho. But people still think they need even more... Oh, well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Marsellus Walcott said:

 Or why even bother staying in a social game like SL?

because what you see as social game, isn't for many others, but for many here such things don't come in mind and just judge and try to make fools about people who think otherwise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see one small problem with Constantine offering security orbs through the Linden Homes Content Creation Packs. I have a houseboat and I think I've read the New Linden Homes wiki on Content creation Packs but my houseboat controller does not have that option. " You may receive the Content Creation Pack by clicking on the appropriate menu option in your House Controller. " Going to check again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ethan Paslong said:

because what you see as social game, isn't for many others, but for many here such things don't come in mind and just judge and try to make fools about people who think otherwise.

Game or not, It IS a majorly social environment. People will interact with you sooner or later, rather you dig it or not. That's undeniable. My point still stands.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BobbieEarhart said:

Marianne, I hope u manage to get a houseboat, they're lovely. This is the first time I've tried a Linden Home and it was the water access that really excited me.

Oh, I have one. I was thinking about others like @Matty Luminos. I was "lucky" to have back pain and had to stay home, so I wasn't up in the mountains on vacation, in the cabin only accessible on ski, away from internet. Sad because of it? No, I could see GoT too. /evil laughter. 😈

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marsellus Walcott said:

Not just flying vehicles, but especially land and floating ones as well. These can have a real hard time getting around ban lines.

Ban list and ignore. That's, ultimately, all the tools most will ever need, imho. But people still think they need even more... Oh, well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep the bus tour had several horrific crashes and multiple losses of bus because of ban lines jutting out and getting in the way. I know I lost my car twice now too because I hit a ban line while trying to navigate some of the tighter curves. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Constantine Linden said:

We want to thank everyone for the kind words they have expressed in the last 24 hours since Linden Homes has launched its first phase of homes. We are delighted so many of you are enjoying the homes, the decor, and especially the feel of community. As part of fostering that community feel, we are going to address two changes that are occurring over the next week or so (and explain our reasoning).

The first is that at 6am SLT on Wed April 17th, we are going to uncheck the box on the Linden Homes estate that allows parcel owners access restrictions to be more restrictive than the estate. Meaning: no ban lines. It's our belief that with a sense of community being a main goal of Linden Homes, ban lines send the wrong message. Parcel owners can still ban troublesome individuals by name on their parcel but they will not be able to put their land in virtual lock down by restricting access to group only.

The second goes hand in hand with parcel access, and that is security devices. We want to allow Residents to fly, walk, drive, sail and explore freely across Bellisseria without compromising Residents privacy and security on their own parcels. To that end we are allowing the use of security orbs. However, since many orbs can be set in ways that preclude even the most innocent of straying across a parcel boundary or being sent home even though you are 500m in the sky we are forced to come up with a compromise. 

You may use your personal security orbs or devices in Linden Homes for now, but early next week: we are going to provide you with an approved device via the Linden Homes Content Packs. It will work just as aggressively in protecting your homes from unwanted intrusion, but still reasonably allow Residents to explore without fear of being ejected or teleported home without warning. Once those are added to the Linden Homes Content Packs, the use of other scripted security devices will not be allowed and this will be noted in an update to the Linden Homes covenant.

 

So, to recap:

- Ban lines will go away for Linden Homes starting 6am SLT on Wed April 17th

- Linden-supplied security orbs will be distributed via the Linden Homes Content Creation Packs early next week

- Personal security orbs/devices will be allowed from the above date until approved security orbs are distributed (and not after)

 

We’re thrilled you’re enjoying Linden Homes and we’re excited for everything else to come!

No ban lines allowed? Only authorized orbs that are forced to give fair warning? I'm sold. Gonna have to grab me a couple LL homes now. These enforced rules alone will get me off the fence about it.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marsellus Walcott said:

Not just flying vehicles, but especially land and floating ones as well. These can have a real hard time getting around ban lines.

This is a good point.

 

2 minutes ago, Marsellus Walcott said:

Ban list and ignore. That's, ultimately, all the tools most will ever need, imho. But people still think they need even more... Oh, well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, you can only ban and ignore someone whom you've already identified as a trespasser or potential problem.

In fairness, I wouldn't want to dictate to people the kinds of security they want or need, just as I tire of hearing the pro-privacy crowd dismissing the concerns of vehicle users out of hand.

Personally, I don't much care about such things, but it's important to acknowledge that others may have reason to secure their privacy proactively, before it's violated. And that's what the security orbs are for.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...