Jump to content
Constantine Linden

Security/Privacy and New Linden Homes

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

There're ample opportunities for land in SL that can be configured exactly how you like .. I assume you already have premium, so why not look at horizons .. yes the buy in is kinda ouch, but it is double prim*

* If you look at land from the perspective of paying for prims (or Li if you prefer), double prim horizons land lets you own 702 Li with only a standard prem account, which if you were to pay for with regular teir would require an additional $7 per month, over the course of a year, you would give LL the same as the buy in price, so if you look at it from the perspective of paying a years additional teir upfront then any time you spend on that land after year1 is saving you $7 per month, every month.

 

Or if cheap: fly around with land owners turned on and see if you find a small abandoned lot you like or a good deal on sale. I found two Moderate waterfront lots that way, very very cheap. I use one to rez boats to go in the water around Jeugeot. The other one is in Heterocera not far from a "gas station" on the road where I rez a car. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Yes. The rule is " No skyboxes below 2000M " ... which implies that over 2000M you can indeed place a skybox.

Thanks! That sounds sensible, too.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

This satisfies a vocal minority.  The rest can go suck eggs, apparently.

I have heard the argument that they want to be able to fly over land because in RL you can.  And that is absolutely true.  But you have to stay a minimum of 1,000ft above ground level, and have to maintain clearance of 1,000ft above or 2,000ft to the side of any obstacles.  In SL, fly at anything over 75m above ground level and you are over the ban lines.  1,000ft clearance is about 305 meters.

I think overall this is a bad idea, to restrict the many to satisfy the few.

Oh boy, don't tell this to the bunch of RL bush pilots I happen to know. You would be surprised at how that number is actually off. Remember: Not everything flying out there happens to be 787s... (actually, none of those are flying nowadays, heh) :P

Also, care to share with us where your numbers are coming from? The "restrict the many to satisfy the few" had me very curious, when spoken as scientific unquestionable truth. ;)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can not get happier than having these fantastic new homes and no ban lines. Ban lines are my nemesis as a wanderer and explorer and wish they were banned everywhere besides private islands.  Most people are just wandering, flying, sailing etc and don't give a rats bum bum about seeing you, your inside home or bedroom.There are more sensible tools available for privacy. Ban lines are like prison jail bars keeping people in and out like a hermit.  When I lived on a mainland roadway or even on the Blake Sea I rarely had trespassers to the point of wondering why any security is ever needed besides the standard freeze and banning idiot individuals. People take stuff way too personally and seriously and need to lighten up and just have fun and relax and escape in Second Life and stop being so self entitled.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm kinda skeptical.

 

Will they function in a sphere or a box?

What would the minimum time be to eject someone from the parcel?

Can they eject anyone aside from those you've given exceptions to?

 

EDIT: Will the ban-line ban also apply to the old style of Linden homes, too?

Edited by Marth Coberts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank You for banning ban lines!  My neighbor lady got her houseboat right after I did last night, and the first thing she did was to put up ban lines. (Her houseboat and harbor are still empty of course.)  Her ban lines are 2 meters from my stairs and 3 meters from my parcel line - so very visible and UGLY, unless I turn them off.  Visitors don't always have ban lines invisible, so just not having them is more civil.  I can't wait for her's to go away tonight.  She probably has an orb now with zero second warning that will overlap my parcel :)

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

banline01.thumb.png.5655f9f5c01cd5619a29f7dfd8d28fa8.png

Seven more hours and this is gone. Ban lines over open water suck. I didn't realize that the new continent had them until I hit this one.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marsellus Walcott said:

Oh boy, don't tell this to the bunch of RL bush pilots I happen to know. You would be surprised at how that number is actually off. Remember: Not everything flying out there happens to be 787s... (actually, none of those are flying nowadays, heh) :P

Also, care to share with us where your numbers are coming from? The "restrict the many to satisfy the few" had me very curious, when spoken as scientific unquestionable truth. ;)

 

Airliners don't fly VFR, they fly IFR and their altitudes are actually a fair bit higher in Class A airspace between 18,000 and FL-600 (60,000 ft) MSL so in use or not, your 787's are a differetn animal completely.

14 CFR § 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a)Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b)Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c)Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

"This satisfies a vocal minority.  The rest can go suck eggs, apparently...."

 

"...I think overall this is a bad idea, to restrict the many to satisfy the few."

You know. I've read all the comments on this, and other threads. Interesting thing here: Almost all of them are anti-ban line and anti- 0 second orbs.  honestly, it's YOU who are the minority. /MOST/ Mainland users dislike ban lines and 0 second orbs. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

There're ample opportunities for land in SL that can be configured exactly how you like .. I assume you already have premium, so why not look at horizons .. yes the buy in is kinda ouch, but it is double prim*

* If you look at land from the perspective of paying for prims (or Li if you prefer), double prim horizons land lets you own 702 Li with only a standard prem account, which if you were to pay for with regular teir would require an additional $7 per month, over the course of a year, you would give LL the same as the buy in price, so if you look at it from the perspective of paying a years additional teir upfront then any time you spend on that land after year1 is saving you $7 per month, every month.

I already have 10k sq meters on Mainland.  The Linden Homes are a perk that I pay for, just like you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BlackBlade Smit said:

You know. I've read all the comments on this, and other threads. Interesting thing here: Almost all of them are anti-ban line and anti- 0 second orbs.  honestly, it's YOU who are the minority. /MOST/ Mainland users dislike ban lines and 0 second orbs. 

Well since I see it's customary here...  Your source please?

I never bothered with banlines or 0-second orbs on my land.  Well, till now.  Is that reactionary, immature, irrational, or maybe petty?  Probably.  So what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

Airliners don't fly VFR, they fly IFR and their altitudes are actually a fair bit higher in Class A airspace between 18,000 and FL-600 (60,000 ft) MSL so in use or not, your 787's are a differetn animal completely.

14 CFR § 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a)Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b)Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c)Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Yup, I know this very well. But you insisted on a theoretical "1000 feet minimum" on the post this reply comes from. Read (c) carefully again, please. Also, do pay attention to the word "sparsely", which would probably be 90-95% of all mainland. Technically, we would be able to fly even lower than 500 feet at a lot of places in SL, by FAA rules (which, btw, makes no sense to me at all. SL is a very different beast from RL, imho) ;)

Edited by Marsellus Walcott
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

Well since I see it's customary here...  Your source please?

I never bothered with banlines or 0-second orbs on my land.  Well, till now.  Is that reactionary, immature, irrational, or maybe petty?  Probably.  So what.

I already stated my source. ("I've read all the comments on this, and other threads.")  Also, it's an observation, not a scientific study. Besides, you didn't share a source, nor did you address it when you were asked, even to admit you have none as I have. My source is entirely observation. Fact is, this is what's been done. Don't like it? Don't get one of the homes. That's absolutely your choice. You can get one of the older homes, even. Ultimately, this is the choice made by the company who DOES have the sources. They DO have the records of people. And, I mean, this entire thread minus you is for this change, and the new homes are going FAST, so... I mean... I don't see the droves of premium users who demand ban lines or 0 second orbs. *shrugs* Either way, I'm glad it's gone this way and frankly hope the rest of mainland does, too. Might even revive it. Because, mainland was dead with just ban lines and ad farms every where until things started being done to let it be functional again. Ban lines and 0 second security orbs all but kill travel. Travel is the life blood of the mainland. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marsellus Walcott said:

Yup, I know this very well. But you insisted on a theoretical "1000 feet minimum" on the post this reply refers. Read (c) carefully again, please. Also, do pay attention to the word "sparsely", which would probably be 90-95% of all mainland. Technically, we would be able to fly even lower than 500 feet at a lot of places in SL, by FAA rules (which, btw, makes no sense to me at all. SL is a very different beast from RL, imho) ;)

So since this discussion is only about the new Linden Homes areas...  You are calling that sparsely populated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

So since this discussion is only about the new Linden Homes areas...  You are calling that sparsely populated?

By RL FAA rules? A few dozen ppl? Surely. By SL rules? Not by a long shot. Hence why I stated previously that this comparison made no sense at all, imo.

Edited by Marsellus Walcott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

It will still be there.

Not in the new Linden Homes. 

 

Quote from Constantine Linden 

"So, to recap:

- Ban lines will go away for Linden Homes starting 6am SLT on Wed April 17th

- Linden-supplied security orbs will be distributed via the Linden Homes Content Creation Packs early next week

- Personal security orbs/devices will be allowed from the above date until approved security orbs are distributed (and not after)

 

We’re thrilled you’re enjoying Linden Homes and we’re excited for everything else to come!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE  MAKE REZZ ZONES!!!!!! (there is an empty triangle in front of my house i'd suggest)

I have been exploring and love the little parks and how each area has a different look....

and WOW I've actually met NEIGHBORS!!!!!!!  (YES PLURAL!! its happened more than once already!) I didn't know they still existed in Secondlife

  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes they really need some rezz areas. I can't get very far on my boat at the moment without needing one, but had a great time on my bike exploring the roads and off roading with no problems at all even at high speed. 

It would be nice to have an occasional community cafe along the roads. Maybe some of the resident homes will be set up like that? It would be nice if a suitable building became one of the homes options perhaps with parking in front. 

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oughttobearezzone2.thumb.jpg.0853c8437cbce8562ff405af233e8851.jpg

WTF?

This is at the edge of the developed area, and will probably be rebuilt when more houses go in.

My place is on the west coast of the new continent, and I have a friend on the east coast. So I drove all the way over there, which takes much checking of the map to find a way through. We had coffee and hung out for a while. We were both surprised that I made it all the way there without problems. I drove back. Got about halfway back and had a region crossing failure that crashed Firestorm. (I have the Firestorm log, and may file a Firestorm bug report. The trouble began sim side and a logout was inevitable, but Firestorm should handle that more gracefully, and provide an error message rather than just exiting.)

Yes, need more road rez zones.

It's nice having a place to go.

 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Gingir Ghoststar said:

Weren't you on the bus tour tonight with all of us? I know there was a Beaumont on that bus. 

If anyone wants to go up by helicopter and see it from the air that way, just ping me in world and I’ll be happy to fly you and your friends around the continent. 🙂 I could probably even do the same by boat as long as I can find a spot to rez. 

I have a helicopter (Shergood H160) that seats 9 and a boat (Bandit SRV210C) that seats 8 and even allows for wake boarding. So lots of room for fellow travelers.   

Heck, I’ve even got an AD25H Littlebee that is equipped for parasailing so we could go tour the new area that way too. 🙂

Edited by Female Winslet
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Constantine Linden said:

We’re thrilled you’re enjoying Linden Homes

till  17th you mean...

might be the only one in this halleluja thread, but i don't like it.
Another premium perk ruined for the pleasure of whining travelers... who btw don't pay for my tierlevels.
People who want to have reasonable privacy are only safe at mainland and private estates.
"community feeling" ... bleghhh
 

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

Yes they really need some rezz areas. I can't get very far on my boat at the moment without needing one, but had a great time on my bike exploring the roads and off roading with no problems at all even at high speed. 

It would be nice to have an occasional community cafe along the roads. Maybe some of the resident homes will be set up like that? It would be nice if a suitable building became one of the homes options perhaps with parking in front. 

Occasional cafes would be great. Maybe they could set up the kiosks for premium gifts there? Cafes seem like something that'd go for, since there are sitting areas and the occasional park and whatnot. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...