Security/Privacy and New Linden Homes

Constantine Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Moles
Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Well, the security orb still won't allow a zero second eject and so someone could still potentially come in and be "shocked".   

:ph34r: :D

We'll make the warning message really long and superfluous so they will be too busy reading to notice anything shocking.  

• Haha 15

I was blocked on 3 sides in a marina there.

Also not an hour ago I was flying east from an undeveloped SSP sim into a region over homes. I was suddenly bounced WEST to a far sim on the continent! Didn't know an orb could do that but it sure didn't give me the 2 seconds or less needed to pass their stupid property.  Hoping the orbs are set with a minimum of time.  What would be best is if they were set only to warn if the user lingers over the property beyond 3-4 seconds.  That should certainly cover avatar or vehicles flying overhead or cutting a corner.

Edited by Holocluck Henly
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

I'm guessing you are referring to what happens if you have the parcel set so people can't see you from outside the parcel but also can't block anyone and everyone from entering. If you've made every reasonable effort to abide by the "behind closed doors" rule they can't really complain if they walk into your property and happen to see something "shocking" in the process can they? Well, they *can* complain, but ARs like that would probably end up in the circular file I'd imagine.

It seems to me that this is covered in the CS, and the maturity ratings. The spirit of both is that you take reasonable measures to ensure that adult content is not visible to casual passers-by. It is not implied that you're being tested on pro-actively blocking every conceivable means by which a really determined visitor might be able to peak at restricted content that is not otherwise visible. That would be absurd.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It seems to me that this is covered in the CS, and the maturity ratings. The spirit of both is that you take reasonable measures to ensure that adult content is not visible to casual passers-by. It is not implied that you're being tested on pro-actively blocking every conceivable means by which a really determined visitor might be able to peak at restricted content that is not otherwise visible. That would be absurd.

My eyes... I saw nude sunbathers along the cliffs yesterday. I was shocked! Shocked! If I'd had pearls I'd have clutched them. 

• Haha 11

Just now, Gingir Ghoststar said:

My eyes... I saw nude sunbathers along the cliffs yesterday. I was shocked! Shocked! If I'd had pearls I'd have clutched them. 

Oh dear! Sit down, you poor thing, and tell me all about it over a cuppa.

You didn't by any chance get pictures, did you?

• Haha 9

Great. Now please address the 5-tries-and-you're-out situation.  Not everybody was online when this went live, and within a few hours all the good ones were gone. It was not difficult at all to find 5 that you didn't like - by 9pm SLT all we were getting offered was what people had rejected through the day.  Then we sit in time-out for 24 hours, meaning things will be even more picked over by the time we can roll the dice again.  I am sure I am not the only one who has a bit of a sour taste from all this.

Also...  Not having ban lines so people can get around is great I guess.  I never had a problem on Mainland but I suppose some did.  Closed parcels are no problem if you are not flying at treetop level and buzzing rooftops.  The problem is that unlike Mainland, there are no rez areas on the roads or waterways.  If you want to rez a boat, you have to have a houseboat - but oops, those were gone within hours.  While water access is limited in some ways to the privileged few in RL, at least there are public launch ramps and marinas.

This is good news, thank you.

While we are flipping switches, please consider a default, enforced enabled status for "Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel." Houseboats in particular are packed in like sardines. I had to go around and wholesale block my neighbors immediately because too many of them were using inane, noisy gestures without any concern for their neighbors and it was too much of a hassle to bother with figuring out who was doing it at the time. If community is something you want to build, this is another major annoyance to take away from people as an option to inflict on others. And there are many other examples—sex noises, crying babies, etc. that are also problems. Nobody else wants to hear someone's pixel baby every time they're trying to relax at home, or spend time locating said baby to silence it. 

Thank you for considering it.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

Great. Now please address the 5-tries-and-you're-out situation.  Not everybody was online when this went live, and within a few hours all the good ones were gone. It was not difficult at all to find 5 that you didn't like - by 9pm SLT all we were getting offered was what people had rejected through the day.  Then we sit in time-out for 24 hours, meaning things will be even more picked over by the time we can roll the dice again.  I am sure I am not the only one who has a bit of a sour taste from all this.

Yeah, right now the 5 times is frustrating.  I have multiple alts that I can try with, but last night I went to 13 homes before I was mostly satisfied.  Still, I did try a few more times tonight and there are still some really good plots available.  I just visited one that is on a street corner (road on 2 sides) and across from there, as well as diagonal, there are plots not yet taken that are on the street and back to foothills/mountains.  Personally, I'd love one of those rather than the one on the street corner, but it is all random.

5 minutes ago, Katarin Kiergarten said:

This is good news, thank you.

While we are flipping switches, please consider a default, enforced enabled status for "Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel." Houseboats in particular are packed in like sardines. I had to go around and wholesale block my neighbors immediately because too many of them were using inane, noisy gestures without any concern for their neighbors and it was too much of a hassle to bother with figuring out who was doing it at the time. If community is something you want to build, this is another major annoyance to take away from people as an option to inflict on others. And there are many other examples—sex noises, crying babies, etc. that are also problems. Nobody else wants to hear someone's pixel baby every time they're trying to relax at home, or spend time locating said baby to silence it. 

Thank you for considering it.

Yes, for the Linden Homes, that setting should be default.  I know that many folks, new and old alike, don't even know about the setting - and then there are the ones that don't care.

• Like 3

Not too keen on rule about security orbs. If only because I'm rather fond of certain features, and the look, of the one I've been using for quite some time now--especially the look. It's basically a mini server rack that looks like something out of Tron. So I have to ask; 

Will the scripts from the Linden orb (that's what I'm calling it now) be copy/trans, or available as standalone at least? 
If so. Would it be possible/acceptable for those of us who have the ability do so, be able/allowed to just drag and drop the Linden Orb scripts into our current orb (once emptied), and call it a day? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nastasha Szaberwick said:

Not too keen on rule about security orbs. If only because I'm rather fond of certain features, and the look, of the one I've been using for quite some time now--especially the look. It's basically a mini server rack that looks like something out of Tron. So I have to ask; 

Will the scripts from the Linden orb (that's what I'm calling it now) be copy/trans, or available as standalone at least? 
If so. Would it be possible/acceptable for those of us who have the ability do so, be able/allowed to just drag and drop the Linden Orb scripts into our current orb (once emptied), and call it a day? 

The best way to do it would be for them to implement them into the house controller. It doesn't have to be an actual orb. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Aleciaa Daffyd said:

We can only hope on everyone 🤗

This satisfies a vocal minority.  The rest can go suck eggs, apparently.

I have heard the argument that they want to be able to fly over land because in RL you can.  And that is absolutely true.  But you have to stay a minimum of 1,000ft above ground level, and have to maintain clearance of 1,000ft above or 2,000ft to the side of any obstacles.  In SL, fly at anything over 75m above ground level and you are over the ban lines.  1,000ft clearance is about 305 meters.

I think overall this is a bad idea, to restrict the many to satisfy the few.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

I have heard the argument that they want to be able to fly over land because in RL you can.  And that is absolutely true.  But you have to stay a minimum of 1,000ft above ground level, and have to maintain clearance of 1,000ft above or 2,000ft to the side of any obstacles.  In SL, fly at anything over 75m above ground level and you are over the ban lines.  1,000ft clearance is about 305 meters.

I agree in principle on the air travel issue. However, with lag, boats and other ground-level vehicles can lag into ban lines, and what happens to them tends not to be pretty. So while I know to go slowly around residences and not use meaningful speed until I hit open areas, a friend pointed out that inexperience can lead people to attempt things that ban lines will only make worse. And sometimes lag is just terrible on a region anyway.

Ban-line visibility can be turned off in the viewer (in Firestorm, at least), if someone really does not want to see them. And I would prefer to guarantee no unwanted visitors and not have to wait for an orb or myself to take care of them. But I don't think that keeping them in this context is going to be ideal. There is no solution that would work for everyone, given the current set of limitations. The standard proposed here by LL is the same one used by private estates that cater to sailing and flying. It is not new or unusual, it's just not something people expect on Linden-controlled land, either.

5 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

... and there is always the skybox option 

This really is the way forward. And with a protected layer of air, we can have both planes and skyboxes too. We can even have a skybox that's a helipad! Win all around. 

Since for whatever reason people don't usually wander at high altitudes, it's much more private up there than on the ground anyhow. 

1 hour ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

There're ample opportunities for land in SL that can be configured exactly how you like .. I assume you already have premium, so why not look at horizons .. yes the buy in is kinda ouch, but it is double prim*

* If you look at land from the perspective of paying for prims (or Li if you prefer), double prim horizons land lets you own 702 Li with only a standard prem account, which if you were to pay for with regular teir would require an additional $7 per month, over the course of a year, you would give LL the same as the buy in price, so if you look at it from the perspective of paying a years additional teir upfront then any time you spend on that land after year1 is saving you $7 per month, every month.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.