The Linden Homes Photo Thread

Patch Linden

12 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I'm kind of bored with all the Winchesters in the beach area where my house is, though I understand the desire for that balcony, since I've had the Winchester on my parcel since April. Today, though, I finally swapped out for the Adams, so now it's time to go buy some add-ons! (Don't look at my driveway, it needs to be moved. lol)

A question maybe @Abnor Moleor some others know: Is the mailbox placed the same way on all the plots, like xx meter from the left corner on the entrance side?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

That looks suuuuuuuuper!!

I know why I find it worthwile to try and try and try ... till I have a plot like THAT! ;)

Which region is that?

This is Dorma, on the east side of the continent. If you turned draw distance up very high, you'd see the Squishy Pickle houseboat regions out over the water. I never keep my DD up that high, though, because my computer would start smoking!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

A question maybe @Abnor Moleor some others know: Is the mailbox placed the same way on all the plots, like xx meter from the left corner on the entrance side?

Without going out and looking, I'd say "no". For instance, my house in that photo above is pretty near the street. My sister's house next door is much farther back, closer to the water.

@Quartz Mole can tell us for sure, I bet, since I think he is Mailbox Boss.  :)

• Like 3

• Moles
5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Not quite the same way, no.  The mailbox must always be placed on the "front" side of the parcel.  That is, the side that the house faces.  For technical reasons, it cannot be placed too close to a corner of the parcel, but anywhere else will do.  The mailbox, like the house itself, is LDPW property,.  It is placed outside of the parcel so that it doesn't use any of your land impact allowance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10

• Moles

Just to give the background to Dyna's very clear explanation,  when the house rezzer that serves a region rezzes a new house, it can calculate exactly where the house needs to be, but it can't readily determine on its own the direction it is supposed to face.     However, it can determine where the mailbox associated with the parcel is, and how it is rotated, so it uses that to calculate the house's desired rotation.   

The rule for both houses and houseboats is that the house's positive x axis points in the opposite direction to that of the mailbox -- or, in simpler terms, they're supposed to be facing each other, or maybe "looking past each other" would be a more accurate way to put it .

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8

On 8/2/2019 at 3:50 PM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I'm kind of bored with all the Winchesters in the beach area where my house is, though I understand the desire for that balcony, since I've had the Winchester on my parcel since April. Today, though, I finally swapped out for the Adams, so now it's time to go buy some add-ons! (Don't look at my driveway, it needs to be moved. lol)

Snapshot_001.png

I keep thinking about swapping mine out for this model also. Every. Single. House. on my block is the Winchester.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

I keep thinking about swapping mine out for this model also. Every. Single. House. on my block is the Winchester.  

I'm happy I did it! It can hold pretty much everything I had in the Winchester, but it doesn't have to have so many big pieces in it. I bought a few add-ons, so have a carport, rear deck, and front porch. I have it fully decorated with 81 LI to spare at the moment, and that's after I parked a car under the carport. 

"In a world full of Winchesters, be an Adams"  :SwingingFriends:

Snapshot_001.png

• Like 17

3 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

I'm hoping to find exactly this in RL for retirement 👍

Same. Or something closer to the water at least. I'm always several houses away; the first one was across the road and on the other side of that neighbour's house, and right now while I can still see the water it's actually in the region next door. Not what I want, so the wait continues. One day, eventually, even if it's an abandon or sheer dumb luck! (stranger things have happened)

51 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I'm happy I did it! It can hold pretty much everything I had in the Winchester, but it doesn't have to have so many big pieces in it. I bought a few add-ons, so have a carport, rear deck, and front porch. I have it fully decorated with 81 LI to spare at the moment, and that's after I parked a car under the carport. 

"In a world full of Winchesters, be an Adams"  :SwingingFriends:

Nice job! It stands apart in the best possible way because it is different. And I 100% agree. The Adams and Alderley are deceivingly roomy (depending what you put in) but then how much room do one or two avatars need anyway?  From what I've seen it sounds like you've created quite the haven there. Is it on the Parade of Homes at all?

10 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Particle show "Dark Tales" at Bellisseria Fairgrounds. It was performed on 3 August 2019 by Delain Canucci. It was really great spectacle lasting full one hour! 😃

*pics removed to make thread less clunky*

That looks great! Does anyone have some idea if this was laggy? (Laggy in terms of FPS taking a massive hit during the performance) I'd love to go to one of these shows but I'm afraid I'll crash or just continually black-screen (I can derender people if complexity is too high) but my connection isn't the best. At least the pics are the next best thing. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

Nice job! It stands apart in the best possible way because it is different. And I 100% agree. The Adams and Alderley are deceivingly roomy (depending what you put in) but then how much room do one or two avatars need anyway?  From what I've seen it sounds like you've created quite the haven there. Is it on the Parade of Homes at all?

It's not, because I use the security orb supplied by LL, to keep in compliance with maturity ratings and the "behind closed doors" rule. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

It's not, because I use the security orb supplied by LL, to keep in compliance with maturity ratings and the "behind closed doors" rule. 

That's a shame but understandable. Still, the pics that I have seen are nice so it's a consolation of sorts? Anyway, love what you did with the place, and thanks for sharing your pics too! ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moles
1 hour ago, RaeLeeH said:

That looks great! Does anyone have some idea if this was laggy? (Laggy in terms of FPS taking a massive hit during the performance) I'd love to go to one of these shows but I'm afraid I'll crash or just continually black-screen (I can derender people if complexity is too high) but my connection isn't the best. At least the pics are the next best thing. Thanks for sharing!

I didn't find it so, watching it on my laptop with a GeForce GTX 1050 GPU.    

Particles shouldn't be laggy -- each effect requires only one or two textures, and most particle artists -- so certainly someone as skilled as this one, I would think -- know how to send the textures for the next effect to your viewer while you're watching the previous one.

At this show, furthermore, they very sensibly had everyone seated to watch the show, which dramatically decreases the demands made on both the simulator and your computer.   That's one of the main reasons large events are so laggy -- the simulator is constantly having to instruct the computers of everyone at the event to redraw the scene every time someone moves.  When you're seated on an object, then all the simulator has to do is update your animations every now and again, which is no big deal.

I really enjoyed the show, far more than I expected to, and I would really advise anyone to check out any further shows @Delain Canucci gives, if they have the opportunity.,  I certainly intend to.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

At this show, furthermore, they very sensibly had everyone seated to watch the show, which dramatically decreases the demands made on both the simulator and your computer.   That's one of the main reasons large events are so laggy -- the simulator is constantly having to instruct the computers of everyone at the event to redraw the scene every time someone moves.  When you're seated on an object, then all the simulator has to do is update your animations every now and again, which is no big deal.

Oh, that's interesting to know! Most of these types of events that I have been tend to have people dancing, but I always just assumed it was the particles that were causing all the lag.

• Like 4

• Moles
3 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Oh, that's interesting to know! Most of these types of events that I have been tend to have people dancing, but I always just assumed it was the particles that were causing all the lag.

I'm not sure the dancing itself causes many problems, since animations are entirely client-side and, at least once they've been downloaded and cached, contribute to very few problems.   So long as you're simply standing there dancing, and not moving your avatar round from the keyboard, then the simulator thinks you're just standing there.   Unless you're doing something else inworld at the same time, you may as well be AFK for all the simulator knows, at least as  I understand it.

The big problems at events are people moving round for some reason as they dance (to get a better view, or they've seen a friend or they're just tapping along to the music on their keyboard) or simply teleporting in and out.   If someone teleports in with a very complex outfit (particularly if the textures are too high resolution, which so often they are) and then starts walking forward, that really makes the figures spike for a little while until all the textures have loaded for you (and everyone else) and the new arrival finds a spot.    Then someone else teleports in or out...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

40 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

The big problems at events are people moving round for some reason as they dance (to get a better view, or they've seen a friend or they're just tapping along to the music on their keyboard) or simply teleporting in and out.   If someone teleports in with a very complex outfit (particularly if the textures are too high resolution, which so often they are) and then starts walking forward, that really makes the figures spike for a little while until all the textures have loaded for you (and everyone else) and the new arrival finds a spot.    Then someone else teleports in or out...

Like what we see at the big shopping events, where people are TPing in and out, milling around, and wearing everything in their inventory so that the region grinds to a halt to the point where the vendors stop working. 

So next time there is a huge release like the Squishy Pickle, maybe someone can set up bleachers and invite the tourists to have a seat. The nearby neighbors might appreciate it!

• Like 6

• Moles
1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Like what we see at the big shopping events, where people are TPing in and out, milling around, and wearing everything in their inventory so that the region grinds to a halt to the point where the vendors stop working. 

So next time there is a huge release like the Squishy Pickle, maybe someone can set up bleachers and invite the tourists to have a seat. The nearby neighbors might appreciate it!

That's it exactly.

And yes, when we were waiting for the Squishy Pickle to go live, standing on the opposite side of the channel, we were starting to worry about the effect that number of people standing on the Bellissaria shoreline must be having on residents with houses on those few regions where they were gathering.   

• Like 9