The Linden Homes Photo Thread

Patch Linden

15 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Yeah, that pool is raised above the ground alright (like a box).

I just realized, though, that, with a little tinkering, one could easily create a pool with faux depth, using projectors. (Like I did with the image of the mermaid in the downward porthole, on my Windlass). Just a quick proof-of-concept, with a 0.01m thick prim as basis:

water.thumb.jpg.5f16ba04f948c9e260c6918394454606.jpg

What is a "faux depth"? Can you swim in it or does it only LOOK like water?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

What is a "faux depth"? Can you swim in it or does it only LOOK like water?

Making it look like water is easy. :) But with projector lighting (and proper surface underneath), you can create the illusion of depth. Like I said, the way I created the image of the mermaid, in my Windlass (see below). The surface of the 'water' seems to be like 40-50cm below the glass port. It isn't, of course, but it only looks that way. 

If you were to create a pool like that, with this faux depth, like over straight (non-indented) Linden land, you won't be able to swim in it, of course, as it's not a real hole in the ground (you'd need to be able to terraform for that). But it will certainly look like you have a pool outside with 'real' depth. :)

mernaid.thumb.jpg.45285a7360dbdcea1fef435b2336d93d.jpg

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Making it look like water is easy. :) But with projector lighting (and proper surface underneath), you can create the illusion of depth. Like I said, the way I created the image of the mermaid, in my Windlass (see below). The surface of the 'water' seems to be like 40-50cm below the glass port. It isn't, of course, but it only looks that way. 

If you were to create a pool like that, with this faux depth, like over straight (non-indented) Linden land, you won't be able to swim in it, of course, as it's not a real hole in the ground (you'd need to be able to terraform for that). But it will certainly look like you have a pool outside with 'real' depth. :)

mernaid.thumb.jpg.45285a7360dbdcea1fef435b2336d93d.jpg

I would have a go at swimming in it - putting in a swimming animation... your body would not be visible within the "depth" of the water but if the surface was sufficiently opaque, it may just pass...

Emma :) 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

I heard you mention this before, and I have a vague memory of spotlight projectors being a thing, but I can't find that option now (Firestorm).

Where do we look for this?

It's right next to where you enable light. :) Only then you can choose a projector image (here some water). Keep in mind you'll need to create a reflective surface too, of course, for the light to be projected onto.

PROJECT.thumb.jpg.94c96f6d8e58031fdbb936d97d8c809d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

Thanks @Kiramanell this solves several mysteries at once as I remember that I am still using firestorm for open sim....😲

edit.jpg

Awww, that viewer for OpenSIM doesn't seem to have projector light capability. :( Normally, there would be an X next to the Light button, where you can then just pick an image.

EDIT: Make sure you have Projectors enabled first, btw. It may not show the texture option if you have it disabled.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

No worries, I shall get the latest version of sl firestorm (just as soon as I've finished getting distracted with other things :D)

Either that, or, like I quickly realized, you may have it disabled. Make sure it's on (Graphics -> Shadows -> Sun/Moon + Projectors).

• Like 3

After finishing the details of decorating up my new Linden home for the last 2 days, my husband and I decided to take out one of our boats on the waterways of Bellisseria.  Along the way we picked up Bamboo for a ride around the river bends, out into the wide open waters towards the fair grounds and back around.  Was a lovely, slow riding tour, allowing all areas of the regions to rezz in while we enjoyed our scenic route. 

I took out our paddle steamer (with a little custom additions to it) and this time I made it completely around the loop without a SL sim crossing crash. w00t!  If you ever see me out coasting along in the paddle steamer, it seats 6, feel free to jump on board and enjoy the slow rolling scenery.

1117754771_Bellisseriaboatroute.png.db6689180ef60a2cafcee38fb3761c8d.png

I felt like Steam Boat Willie, chugging along and blowing the whistle as we rounded a bend.

625563613_PaddlerSteamer1.png.ec8a0a6888d8f39ec8424818a87c21d1.png

Finished up the hour and half lazy tour outside the riverbank by our new home and chatted for a bit before leaving the river for the evening.  One just has to love this communities ambiance!
1007687943_PaddleSteamer2.png.e7241e8325bd4cf42418afffb466a2ff.png

Next tour, the hubby is driving and I'm chilling on the back deck!
640338799_Paddlesteamer3.png.01e3c91864623650c51f50f8e176fda1.png

• Like 23

1 minute ago, Leora Greenwood said:

Your paddle steamer is absolutely adorable!!!  Thanks so much for the pics!

Thank you.  Its one of my favorite and enjoyable water crafts we own.  Its slow and lazy and makes the scenery that much more awesome. 🥰

• Like 2

In San Jocoso they built the houses but they are not yet ready, the scenery is missing (trees, flowers etc.) but every day I notice a new mountain, but since I thought I was in a neighborhood in Florida I find myself in Aspen ?? ?o.O

montagne_001.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PrudenceAnton said:

After finishing the details of decorating up my new Linden home for the last 2 days, my husband and I decided to take out one of our boats on the waterways of Bellisseria.  Along the way we picked up Bamboo for a ride around the river bends, out into the wide open waters towards the fair grounds and back around.  Was a lovely, slow riding tour, allowing all areas of the regions to rezz in while we enjoyed our scenic route. 

I took out our paddle steamer (with a little custom additions to it) and this time I made it completely around the loop without a SL sim crossing crash. w00t!  If you ever see me out coasting along in the paddle steamer, it seats 6, feel free to jump on board and enjoy the slow rolling scenery.

1117754771_Bellisseriaboatroute.png.db6689180ef60a2cafcee38fb3761c8d.png

I felt like Steam Boat Willie, chugging along and blowing the whistle as we rounded a bend.

625563613_PaddlerSteamer1.png.ec8a0a6888d8f39ec8424818a87c21d1.png

Finished up the hour and half lazy tour outside the riverbank by our new home and chatted for a bit before leaving the river for the evening.  One just has to love this communities ambiance!
1007687943_PaddleSteamer2.png.e7241e8325bd4cf42418afffb466a2ff.png

Next tour, the hubby is driving and I'm chilling on the back deck!
640338799_Paddlesteamer3.png.01e3c91864623650c51f50f8e176fda1.png

Love your Steamboat...so cute.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After following the posts on the Kitchen help topic, I redid my own and swapped out two rooms.  I'm very happy with the results and afforded myself a few more prims to use for things I had to omit before. Plus I have my music room back in the front room of the house where I really enjoyed it by the windows.  And I still have some prims left over. 😲

Results below:

New Kitchen remodel: (old kitchen was 67 LI . new kitchen is 46 LI)
a.png.60af9187a4e3d36bfe43a7052cdfbb48.pngb.png.9e81b82bee62261b71a51e23134a857b.pngc.png.6caab40fd66cc63df06c787612a3ca43.png

Now I have an extra little hallway sitting room (Added in an extra walled hallway & sitting area by the stereo radio changer)

d.png.e33409935efd8420207ea83c82ed340f.png

Music room back in the front room
5.png.c038fbebd59c0623e5fce0e7dce698a3.png6.png.e35f58e54315e8a01ba541166485c630.png7.png.7b4b573a9ef5d2a36aa75d587b5dc8e9.png

• Like 21

35 minutes ago, Chablis Kinsella said:

Playing with meshed wall colors on the Evening Star Houseboat.

ES Houseboat_001WEB.png

ES Houseboat_004WEB.png

ES Houseboat_006WEB.png

ES Houseboat_008WEB.png

hi is a nice job but how do you change the texture of the walls? I try but the textures of my traditional home are not editable, I don't have permissions when I select only what I want to change. Thank you

• Like 2