My Marketplace Listings, how do they fall in line

rainbow Fairymeadow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all :)

So I am really just looking for some marketing strategies and have a question. 

I am a jewelry designer, I also dabble a bit in eyes and nails. Anyway. I have a store on MP and after all these years I am still wondering how the listings get arranged. I looked the other day under jewelry and went through about the first 15 pages and didn't see one listing from my store. I DID see multiple listings from other stores. 

My question is, does MP just list things as they are listed each day by the merchants, or are the listings I am seeing, ones that have been enhanced to land on a certain page? Good Keywords?? 

Thanks for any answers in advance :)

24 minutes ago, rainbow Fairymeadow said:

I am a jewelry designer, I also dabble a bit in eyes and nails. Anyway. I have a store on MP and after all these years I am still wondering how the listings get arranged. I looked the other day under jewelry and went through about the first 15 pages and didn't see one listing from my store. I DID see multiple listings from other stores. 

My question is, does MP just list things as they are listed each day by the merchants, or are the listings I am seeing, ones that have been enhanced to land on a certain page? Good Keywords?? 

Maybe Dakota's sticky at the top of this forum will help you

I forgot the number of listings on the Marketplace but it is staggering so not surprising that you don't see your product come up at the top of search.  Unless things have changed (and they certainly could have) one of the big metrics involved is the amount of sales you get from the number of viewings you have.  So if people looked at your product 100 and you sold one thing --- the person who had a 100 look and sold TWO things would move ahead of you in the listings. 

If you want to accomplish better sales to view ratios  it is important that your keywords reflect your product. It also takes some time to get a new product higher in the listings (unless of course people are searching with NEWEST turned on).  So patience is important. 

Interestingly enough a friend who does backend work for some big companies found that Amazon uses (or used perhaps- who knows) this same method. So the more popular an item is, the more likely it will be shown at the beginning of a search and the more likely you will sell :D.

• Moderators

Greetings!

You can quickly see how many active listings are on the Marketplace by going to the main Marketplace page and clicking on the Search button without entering a term. 

If you have the Marketplace set to show General, Moderate, and Adult content, then the total number of active listings will be shown. 

6386902 matching items found.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 10:28 AM, rainbow Fairymeadow said:

Hi 

I recently returned to SL after a very long absence, so was not really MP savvy. I was just placing items with the body of text & that was it. My items were not being seen, I had very rare sales. I found the answer somewhere in this forum ;)

I have just looked at your MP store & you are doing exactly the same as I was... Not using the 'Features' section. According to what I have read in here. The search... searches Title > body text > Features. So I altered my Titles & started using the Features & my items are now coming up within the 1st few pages (not always) and my sales have quadrupled ;)

If your not sure go & look at some other Jewellery Merchants pages & see what they are putting in their features tab.

Hope that helps Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ahhhh, 

Thanks very much for that info Rosa. I will dig into that. I always thought maybe it was bad keywords or something. Like when you see the banner at the top of the main page. Advertising a certain item.. Hair, furniture etc.. maybe those people paid to be there other than what we can use, like the set up for us featuring and item and paying for which page we want it to land on.

curious, have you ever used those as well?

I'll let you know how things go :))

It also depends on how you filter it and how you want the results to be arranged on your page. I sometimes go from lowest to highest within a certain price range that I'm willing to spend during that particular shopping spree. If there's an inworld store, I may also go there to see if they have more products that aren't listed and to see if there are any displays or demos so that I can better see the item. Sometimes the marketplace is just another search for a good bit of consumers so you may get a lot of views but not sales from the MP as they may be buying it from you inworld instead.

Features are important as are keywords but try very hard to make sure you do set unique keywords to the item do not just use the same for all listings. The other day I was searching formal for a store that I knew had a small selection of formal attire and their complete store came up, could not narrow it down to just show what I was hoping for. Try also using words that may have more of a meaning behind them than the regular silver gold jewellery chain necklace ring earring kind of thing, go for Anniversary, Engagement, Gift, Memento, Sentimental as you never know what someone may use to search.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.