"Failed to set physics shape type" message

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ERROR: Failed to set physics shape type. Unexpected behavior may result.
{RootName Animats Bike Demo Rezzer 4.3, RootPosition { 161.122, 211.31, 22.0433 }}

Got this today from my demo bike rezzer. This works at my place in Vallone, but I tried it on a Linden Homes lot I just bought, and it produces that message. It still rezzes the bike, and the bike works fine.

The Linden Homes lot is set to allow building, object entry, and scripts by anyone, and it's my rezzer anyway. This looks like some kind of parcel permissions problem, but I don't see what it is.

Edited by animats

That sounds more like a server glitch and yes it also happens seldom anywhere, when rezzing any given vehicle. Unless you experience the above regular, I would ignore it. The glitch maybe triggered by other building activities around you.

If the above error message repeat it self regularly, examination of the parts of the vehicle, should reveal, if there is a mix of different prim shapes. The root prim must be CONVEX HULL and all child prims with the prim shape NONE or CONVEX HULL.

I assume llSetVehicleFlags()  functions are set and used correct.

I did a quick search of the JIRA and found only two (very old) instances of the error message. Both of these bugs say the problem hits when a script tries to set a parameter on an object which the current owner does not have modify permissions to. (Though in your case that seems unlikely, since as you say, you built the demo rezzer and should have full modify rights to it and your bikes within).

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SCR-225
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SCR-230

Interestingly, the second bug notes that although it's the same root cause, it was manifesting in a different area of the code and needed a slightly modified internal fix. Perhaps you've stumbled upon another edge case that makes that old bug resurface again. If this is reliably reproducible, definitely file a new JIRA on it.

Edited by Fenix Eldritch

9 hours ago, animats said:

ERROR: Failed to set physics shape type. Unexpected behavior may result.
{RootName Animats Bike Demo Rezzer 4.3, RootPosition { 161.122, 211.31, 22.0433 }}

Got this today from my demo bike rezzer. This works at my place in Vallone, but I tried it on a Linden Homes lot I just bought, and it produces that message. It still rezzes the bike, and the bike works fine.

The Linden Homes lot is set to allow building, object entry, and scripts by anyone, and it's my rezzer anyway. This looks like some kind of parcel permissions problem, but I don't see what it is.

'On certain mesh parts you may get this error when the scripts are reset/rebooted as the vehicle initially scans and sets up the physics based on keyword. This will not affect vehicle operation as the error occurs before the script has finished scanning and setting the linkset.

Additional information

'Remove the "prim" keyword from link names. Mixing the PRIM_SHAPE_PRIM with other prim shapes at the scripting level causes this.'

4 hours ago, steph Arnott said:

'On certain mesh parts you may get this error when the scripts are reset/rebooted as the vehicle initially scans and sets up the physics based on keyword. This will not affect vehicle operation as the error occurs before the script has finished scanning and setting the linkset.

Additional information

'Remove the "prim" keyword from link names. Mixing the PRIM_SHAPE_PRIM with other prim shapes at the scripting level causes this.'

That's a note about a specific script, one I am not using. I'm not changing prim types. Just rezzing something.

1 minute ago, steph Arnott said:

So nothing to do with your post? Okay.

No, you can get "failed to set physics shape type" due to a clash with pathfinding. When an object contributes to the pathfinding navmesh, it's locked against certain types of changes. For most conflicts, there's a clear error message, but not for this one.

53 minutes ago, animats said:

No, you can get "failed to set physics shape type" due to a clash with pathfinding. When an object contributes to the pathfinding navmesh, it's locked against certain types of changes. For most conflicts, there's a clear error message, but not for this one.

Well the script reason was given but the issue was land, not script. At the end of the day it is resolved.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.