IS THERE A WAY TO FIND OUT ABOUT AN AVATAR'S PASS

ChloeBaby Xue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm just getting involved with an avatar. We are doing a log of communications via chat. I recently found out that they've been banned from a lot of sims, and that makes me leery about them, wondering why'd they get banned from so many sims. I'd ask them but they won't tell, saying they don't know themselves. There are a lot of other numerous incidents that are too many to mention.

Bottom line is, how do I find out why they were banned from a sim. How do I know if there were issue reports about this person, and triggers for me to look for to avoid any troubles I may encounter?

Thanks

10 answers to this question

Bottom line, as far as I'm aware, is that you won't be able to find out why another avatar was banned from a sim, nor will you be able to find out if any abuse reports were filed with LL regarding another avatar.  

If you're already feeling leery, I would definitely make sure to keep RL info private, and I would probably give some credence to the those feelings. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ChloeBaby Xue said:

Bottom line is, how do I find out why they were banned from a sim.

you can't, and if you doubt somebody it might be wiser to move on, if you have doubst so soon in a relationship you'll never will trust that person anyway.
It's totally possible he's hit by the Voodoo curse... do something not right for one landowner and you'r banned from all sims and locations that subcribed to that service. If you go on that you might loose the most wonderfull person in whole SL caused by a very doubtfull security system... choose wise.

• Like 3

Ethan beat me to it.

There are two possibilities.  One, he's a terrible person and has actually managed to get banned from a lot of places.

Or...there is, as Ethan says, this security system that is a sort of blacklisting service.  If you get banned from one place that uses it, you also get banned from everyplace else that uses the system.  Since any land owner can ban you for any reason at all, or even just because she's feeling ornery that day, this can result in a person getting punished much more severely than they might really deserve.

Judge your friend on what YOU know about him.  If you like him, continue your relationship...but also keep Moirakathleen's advice in mind and protect your private information.  And, if he does turn out to be a terrible person in the end, mute him, drop him, and move on.

16 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

If you get banned from one place that uses it, you also get banned from everyplace else that uses the system.

I doubt it works that way...or people would just blacklist each orb owner they felt wronged by with an alt account... the trolling potential would be hillariously high and the system would have gone out of business long ago...

Edited by Fionalein

9 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Fiona, see this Marketplace listing and look at the FIRST feature advertised in the bullet list.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Voodoo-Security-31-Protection-for-xploder-clubs-and-shops-100-legal/1256745

"✱ Automatic removal of known attackers using our DDOS protected threat database."?

sounds like technobabble of a modern snakeoil salesman to me... how would you even DDOS from within SL ...?

4 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

"✱ Automatic removal of known attackers using our DDOS protected threat database."?

sounds like technobabble of a modern snakeoil salesman to me... how would you even DDOS from within SL ...?

I read that as meaning that the external database is protected from DDOS attacks, so that the SL security orbs will always have access to it.

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I read that as meaning that the external database is protected from DDOS attacks, so that the SL security orbs will always have access to it.

Ah but that prcatice raises another question - is that service still GDPR compliant? I remember one Forum user getting patted on his fingers for less ...

13 hours ago, ChloeBaby Xue said:

There are a lot of other numerous incidents that are too many to mention.

Apart from the unexplained multi-region bans, the above should be making alarm bells ring, OP. If there are "numerous incidents that are too many to mention" giving cause for concern then you should be listening to your gut instinct, not trying to find a way around it or discover why the multiple bans happened. Write those numerous incidents down on paper and take a good hard look at them. Are they worth taking a risk for?

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.