Do you consider yourself a mature person?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As far as respecting others, I like to think of myself as mature.  I don't have a desire to belittle other people to prove any stance I may hold, and if someone disagrees with me I don't often take offense.  I think I have a developed sense of empathy, and really do feel bad when I think I may have caused others any mental anguish.  I find it hard to justify hurting people, even after they may have tried to hurt me.  Regarding the rest of life, I'm pretty immature, I still enjoy watching cartoons, I like playing video games, I drink on the weekends, I make silly noises and like to joke around a lot.  For someone my age, I often behave like an early twenty year old.  Although, I don't do so to gain respect, I fully acknowledge how outrageous it is for me to behave in such a way, and it is generally frowned upon by society.

I don't think of myself as mature, if anything I just think of myself as less restricted.

Edited by WillowTenage

I tend to laugh at stupid things, and get funny looks, yeah. I'm not sure when my attitude was 'saved' but it hasn't been updated for years.

I still find things funny which I shouldn't and I don't see that changing ever.

Farting is funny. Especially in the right circumstance........🤔

Peter Sellers in the elevator for example......

5 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I still find things funny which I shouldn't and I don't see that changing ever.

There nothing immature about having a sense of humor.  I feel sorry for people who can't see funny things around them. I think you're mature if you can recognize when some responses to humor are inappropriate at the moment or -- if you go ahead and laugh anyway -- when you can at least understand why nobody else is laughing.

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If you look up the definitions of childish and childlike, I think you might prefer to use the latter word in the future.

Hmmm... different dictionaries have very different definitions of the word "childish". But I've corrected my post to avoid any misunderstandings.

• Like 2

Just now, ChinRey said:

Hmmm... different dictionaries have very different definitions of the word "childish". But I've corrected my post to avoid any misunderstandings.

One of the things that draws me to SL and the people in it (including you) is that we seem to take pretty good care of our inner children.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

One of the things that draws me to SL and the people in it (including you) is that we seem to take pretty good care of our inner children.

That's because SL itself is so dead serious nobody can handle it unless they are able to take a break and let their inner child out every now and then.

• Haha 1

Just now, Da5id Weatherwax said:

It's ok to keep getting more and more mature until you turn 50. Once you crack the half century you quickly realize maturity is way overrated and get rid of it as quickly as possible.

Although the Red Hat Society also cites 50 as a line of demarcation, I don't think they want to escape maturity so much as hang on to their playfulness. I have no intention of getting rid of my maturity. I hope to continue acquiring it to my very last breath, as I've watched others do so beautifully.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Although the Red Hat Society also cites 50 as a line of demarcation, I don't think they want to escape maturity so much as hang on to their playfulness. I have no intention of getting rid of my maturity. I hope to continue acquiring it to my very last breath, as I've watched others do so beautifully.

Of course what I meant to say was that having spent over a half century achieving such a towering pinnacle of maturity and possibly even gravitas one can act immaturely and get away with it.... ;):P:D

What makes someone truly mature? It's really hard, you know. There's several different things you should be able to do as a mature person. Most of them seem rather gloomy and negative. They are abilities like:

• Forgive people
  • Swallow your pride
  • Know when to stop
  • De-escalate
  • Sacrifice
  • Steer clear of revenge and retribution
  • Take the blame for mistakes from people you are responsible for
  • Be constructive

Why do you ask? Do you want to be mature, but you're not sure you are? Because I sure as hell like to be immature, sometimes.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

What makes someone truly mature? It's really hard, you know. There's several different things you should be able to do as a mature person. Most of them seem rather gloomy and negative. They are abilities like:

• Forgive people
  • Swallow your pride
  • Know when to stop
  • De-escalate
  • Sacrifice
  • Steer clear of revenge and retribution
  • Take the blame for mistakes from people you are responsible for
  • Be constructive

Why do you ask? Do you want to be mature, but you're not sure you are? Because I sure as hell like to be immature, sometimes.

I suppose I do want to be mature and not seen as one of those typical immature boys. But I guess it's also nice to unwind....

5 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Take the blame for mistakes from people you are responsible for

That isn't being mature. That's covering up for someone else. Also known as lying.

I've done more than my fair share of just that the past 60 years. It's the wrong thing to do. Others need to take responsibility for their own actions and words, otherwise they will never mature.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.