Feeble and unstable

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I know people don't like having to run cleanup and defrag once a week (many believe it not necessary or will mess up a SSD) but doing so is far better for your computer and your programs.

Laughs. The old 'It's your PC not SL' caveat simply does not wash anymore. Expecting people to cheerfully part with their hard earnt for this sort of performance certainly belongs to 2003 and not 2019. Look. The answer was simple and obvious. Keep the servers up to date and expanded. But No. Lets waste the profits on Sansar instead, everybody's itching to strap a pair of goggles to their head after all. Buck up Linden Labs or you're going to drive away even more users.

Edited by rasterscan
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Laughs. The old 'It's your PC not SL' caveat simply does not wash anymore. Expecting people to cheerfully part with their hard earnt for this sort of performance certainly belongs to 2003 and not 2019. Look. The answer was simple and obvious. Keep the servers up to date and expanded. But No. Lets waste the profits on Sansar instead, everybody's itching to strap a pair of goggles to their head after all. Buck up Linden Labs or you're going to drive away even more users.

Yep. Doom and gloom is really going to help things. 9_9

You seem to be expecting perfection where perfection does not exist. If LL didn't keep the servers up to date, SL would have ceased to exist 10 years ago. When it comes to expansion, that is Sansar. No, everyone is not "itching to strap on a pair of googles". That sort of virtual reality is even more of a niche market than virtual worlds like SL are. Not to mention there are those of us who can't use the VR goggles due to TMI. A not so small niche group of people.

There are times when it is better to engage the brain before putting the mouth (or fingers) into gear.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rasterscan said:

Keep the servers up to date and expanded.

Single CPUs are not getting much faster. A decade ago, CPU clocks were in the 3-4 GHz range, and today, they're in the 3-4 GHz range. You can get many more CPUs on a chip now, but not faster ones. Most of SL's bottlenecks, both viewer and server side, are in single-thread code. So more CPUs don't help, except for cost reduction.

Many of SL's load problems seem to be be from bugs, not real load. I'm currently trying to get LL to figure out why Vallone sim, with one avatar and about half vacant, is overloaded. Several people have looked hard and have not found the problem yet.

Edited by animats
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That's part of what I have said about not having nearly the issues that seem to plague everyone else. I've recently been using the MP to make some looooooong awaited purchases and haven't had any issues doing so. Have you thought about clearing browser cookies? They can become corrupt.

I know people don't like having to run cleanup and defrag once a week (many believe it not necessary or will mess up a SSD) but doing so is far better for your computer and your programs.

My last 2 computers (Windows 7 & Windows 10) have automatic weekly cleanup, defragmentation and optimization setup (by default I assume) and I clear my browser daily.  I've had many MP issues including purchases not appearing in Received items until I relog or request a redelivery, failed delivery Notification when I do get some purchases.  According to LL, that and the myriad of other issues with crashing straight to desktop I've had in the last months/weeks, are probably due to a poor internet connection which I can do nothing to improve as I presently pay for the fastest residential fibre connection available.  I've not been in SL very long (since mid 2015) compared to many of you but I do feel there are lots of excuses and allowances made for why our beloved 3 legged pet (SL) doesn't win many races.  I guess we must decide whether to just accept that it's hobbled (feeble and unstable), consider investing in a decent prosthetic, or resort to bribery and pay tiered Premium fees for tiered Premium benefits like our very own Premium Account Server, maybe?  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BJoyful said:

consider investing in ... our very own Premium Account Server, maybe?  

Now that's a good idea. I could live with the feebleness if I was non premium, but I'm paying them to completely reboot my PC without warning while I'm in the middle of scripting at worst, or a sudden close to desktop at best. Sort ya'selves out LL this is not good enough.

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rasterscan said:

21 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Now that's a good idea. I could live with the feebleness if I was non premium, but I'm paying them to completely reboot my PC without warning while I'm in the middle of scripting at worst, or a sudden close to desktop at best. Sort ya'selves out LL this is not good enough.

It's your PC.

Second Life is having networking issues for some people, yes.

But a server problem simply can't do what you're saying it's doing.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, BJoyful said:

According to LL, that and the myriad of other issues with crashing straight to desktop I've had in the last months/weeks, are probably due to a poor internet connection which I can do nothing to improve as I presently pay for the fastest residential fibre connection available.  I've not been in SL very long (since mid 2015) compared to many of you but I do feel there are lots of excuses and allowances made for why our beloved 3 legged pet (SL) doesn't win many races

In your particular case, LL is most likely correct. If you think I am defending LL, you are wrong. I have plenty of my own bones to pick with them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rasterscan said:

Now that's a good idea. I could live with the feebleness if I was non premium, but I'm paying them to completely reboot my PC without warning while I'm in the middle of scripting at worst, or a sudden close to desktop at best. Sort ya'selves LL this is not good enough.

Heartily agreed!  Even a little warning... "We're losing you!!  Save NOW" would save some of the time invested!  I fully understand from experience when I go to a busy place I may crash, so I take those odds and decide whether to proceed but trying to do anything productive in SL lately is purely a bad gamble.  So I tap my foot impatiently waiting for the odds to improve and it does help to know I'm not the only one who has noticed!  What can I do to help when buying a top of the line gaming pc and the best hardwired internet connection available hasn't solved 'my' network connection problem?  Stand up and say so and ask for a solution or guaranteed it will continue to be 'my' network connection problem.

I''m inclined to empathize with the new user's pain. Yes, he's probably technically wrong about LL crashing his machine. But some of his problems are at the LL end, and it's not his job to diagnose their system.

Some of us with technical backgrounds try to fix LL's problems from the user side. The entire third-party viewer effort exists because of LL's problems with their own viewer. More than half of my own code for motorcycles and pathfinding NPCs consists of workarounds for SL bugs. This should not be necessary.

It's worth repeatedly reminding LL what happens as their level of quality is reviewed on Steam, for Sansar. Read some recent Sansar reviews. That's a tough audience. Steam users have thousands of other products they can easily run. Sansar on Steam averages about 10 concurrent users. Ten. Putting a low-quality product on Steam made Linden Lab look like a pathetic loser. 

That's today's online entertainment industry. Second Life has a reliability and performance level which was perhaps acceptable a decade ago. It is no longer acceptable.

Edited by animats
Remove irrelevant paragraph
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

In your particular case, LL is most likely correct. If you think I am defending LL, you are wrong. I have plenty of my own bones to pick with them.

That may be true, but no one will ever be able to correct a network connection problem if they don't know what the problem is or how to correct it.  Those who can, do and those who can't... should simply sit patiently and quietly waiting and relogging, putting clothes and shoes and hair back on at random intervals, reconciling their $L balance to their Transaction History,  until they decide quietly they've done that enough times today and will stop now and come back and do this again tomorrow (for who knows how many weeks or months) until someone who can notices that there is a network connection problem and decides to fix it.  

I just want to go sailing, make stuff, sell stuff, buy stuff and use it.  All of those things I used to be able to do!

22 minutes ago, BJoyful said:

That may be true, but no one will ever be able to correct a network connection problem if they don't know what the problem is or how to correct it.  Those who can, do and those who can't... should simply sit patiently and quietly waiting and relogging, putting clothes and shoes and hair back on at random intervals, reconciling their $L balance to their Transaction History,  until they decide quietly they've done that enough times today and will stop now and come back and do this again tomorrow (for who knows how many weeks or months) until someone who can notices that there is a network connection problem and decides to fix it.  

I just want to go sailing, make stuff, sell stuff, buy stuff and use it.  All of those things I used to be able to do!

All of which I have done. For 14 years. The account I am on currently is not my first nor my main. 

Seriously, I am sorry others are having such a hard time while some of us aren't really affected. These things take time to troubleshoot and sometimes it can weeks or even months.

Patience is a virtue that is hard to come by.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.