Land

mundy01

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

16 answers to this question

"Protected Land" means land that is owned by Linden Lab and is slated to stay empty (such as beachfront areas or open water) or have Linden builds on it. It is NOT "Land under MAINTENANCE" which means the land has been abandoned by the owner and is just sitting there empty. Maintenance Land can be sold or auctioned off at any time so there is no reason to believe you will be "neighborless" (the main point of having protected land) and with a "view" should there be one. 

Land can be technically "protected" but with such a small border that it is more or less useless. So do not trust the seller 100 percent and do your research and look at the property lines in the viewer before purchasing. And sometimes people advertise land as protected when it is really maintenance land. So beware. 

EDIT:  AFAIK there is not "unprotected designation but maintenance land could be considered "unprotected" I guess. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

All of the public lands developed by the moles in LDPW  (and now mostly owned by Linden Lab's Maintenance group) is Protected Land.  That includes roads, the SLRailroad, and various parks and recreational areas on the mainland.  It is there for everyone to enjoy.

Edited by Rolig Loon

All land in the Auction is owned by Linden Lab, yes.  You can read about buying land at auction here:

You should also read other articles about land in the Knowledge Base, and you should consider taking Lindal Kidd's free class on land ownership and management, offered at Caledon Oxbridge University in world every Saturday noon.

4321375ffc9cf36e8bf28dfda88a1079.png

Edited by Rolig Loon

42 minutes ago, mundy01 said:

So, If the land is in the Auction? does this mean its by Linden Lab's and probably Legit for sale?

Well "legit" is probably an odd term.  Just newly private parties can auction off their land.   I haven't kept up with all this and not interested but presumably all auctions run THROUGH the auction page would be "legit". The problems comes sometimes with how land is advertised. I have no idea if the lab is paying much attention to what is claimed and what is real.  Typically they stay out of things. 

You CAN of course ONLY bid on Linden Lab land and NOT on private lands and that would (in theory) be completely safe. I have never purchased auction land so I can't speak personally. Note below there are LINDEN auctions and RESIDENT auctions.  

I suggest taking some time to understand better how all this works  -- and by checking out other land sales. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy directly rather than at auction --- unless of course it is a specific parcel you are after. 

image.thumb.png.c282d388d86fe14b54c1d41f9884b34f.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

OK, everybody hold on a minute. 

"Protected" land is NOT land that is owned by Linden Lab.

"Protected" is a term that people apply to resident-owned Mainland parcels that are BORDERED on one or more sides by Linden-owned land.  The reason it's called protected is because, since LL owns the land next door, nobody is going to terraform it or build a huge ugly thing that blocks your view or your access to the ocean, etc.

Typically, protected land is found along Linden Roads, and next to Linden waterways and ocean regions.

Linden Lab owns several sorts of land.  If the land is owned by the Linden Department of Public Works, it's highly likely to stay unchanged.  If the land is owned by "Governor Linden" and is designated "Maintenance", then it's still reasonably likely to remain unchanged...but I have seen them change their minds and auction such land, from time to time.  If it is simply listed as "Abandoned", then the chances of it being listed at auction are very high, and you should not consider land next to such parcels to be very well "protected".

Auctions: LL doesn't like to hold more land than they absolutely must...it's not earning them any money, and it's costing them in server leasing fees.  So, they sell land in the land auctions.  A couple of weeks ago, they also added the ability for residents to sell THEIR land in the land auctions, too.  With a little careful reading, you can generally tell which land is actually LL-owned and which is resident-owned.  LL uses a specific format for their listings, and includes the region name and the SLURL coordinates in the listing title.  Most resident-listed parcels merely say something like "Level green mainland parcel".  You also have the option to click a button to see only LL auctions or only resident auctions.  Not that it really matters, you have the same protections and obligations when bidding on either LL-owned or resident-owned auction properties.

When buying ANY land via the land auctions you should first read and understand the auction FAQs.  Then, always visit the parcel in person before bidding.  Examine it closely...check the lag, check the surrounding builds both on the ground and up in the sky, walk the parcel borders for yourself.  You should, of course, do this when you're buying the land directly too, rather than in an auction.

...gets off her soapbox

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

"Protected" land is NOT land that is owned by Linden Lab.

"Protected" is a term that people apply to resident-owned Mainland parcels that are BORDERED on one or more sides by Linden-owned land. 

OK, so here I am, standing right in the middle of the main street that runs through Bay City.  Notice what About Land says:

4dfe387264d0d7c5665d6609f588ad9d.png

Protected Land, owned by Governor Linden and set to the Maintenance group.

/me gets off her soapbox.  :)

Edited by Rolig Loon

Even LL can make a mistake.

Here I am, also in Bay City, also standing in a road.

333309004_baycity.thumb.jpg.e53f8f8a484b1555a75dafebd5cfc9a4.jpg

Notice it doesn't say "protected".  However, two parcels along the street are listed for sale, and they ARE advertised as "protected".

It makes no sense to call any LL-owned land "protected".  LL land is what provides the protection against unsightly and inconsiderate neighbors.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

Hehe... I guess the "rules" are flexible. I've seen "Protected" on quite a lot of Linden -owned land, but I'll have to admit that until tonight I haven;t looked to see how many non-Linden parcels might also be protected.  It does make me wonder who's protecting whom.

So, "Protected Land" may be either privately owned or owned by Linden Lab. The important part of the definition is that it is maintained for public use.  We've both learned something. And, in fact, that's what Linden Lab says at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Protected_Land:

What is protected land?

Terrain or other protected land is a property of Linden Lab (for Linden-owned land) or estate owner (for private-owned land) which is maintained for use by all residents. Although it may or may not contain roads, it provides the right of passage through any region. Is usually lightly developed, assisting in the overall performance of the region, not to use the entire capacity of the land or script resources. A protected land cannot be altered or sold to residents.

I have been flying around to sample Linden Lab lands this morning and have verified that many (but not all) places I visit are marked as Protected Land.

a3369755eae3263ac44aab24e7a83427.png6dad15adee7a58783689977a5b0d592a.jpg83be5b73f4a65985b4265dbf473610bb.jpg

The next step is to start reading articles in the Knowledge Base (link at the top of this page) that relate to owning and managing land:

fb8303a4832434558b9273bcec18f578.png

Many ( most ?) people rent land for a while before deciding to buy, because that gives them a low-cost, low-risk way to practice being a landowner without any long-term commitment.  If you want to go ahead and dive in, I'd suggest buying a small parcel first.  You'll get to experiment with building and terraforming, get accustomed to the various management tools for controlling access to your land, and get a feel for what features to look for when you buy a larger area of land later.  Many of the things that we all learn are learned through trial and error, but you can also benefit from an occasional class (like Lindal's) at Caledon Oxbridge, NCI, Builders Brewery, or other places in world.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.