Notice to Vehicle creators.

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Until Linden Labs fixes the Sim Crossing and TP bug, I have decided not to buy any new vehicles.

I just sold some mainland, and I was considering buying a new plane, but when I tried the demo, I got dispatched by the Sim Crossing Bug 3 times in 10 minutes.  Sorry, LL is going to put you all out of business.

Anna.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

(Doing her Scotty impression) It's verra simple lass...ye're usin' the wrrrrrong vehicles.

THIS.

And also dressing inappropriately.

Remove HUDs, wear unscripted (delete resizer scripts) clothing and attachments, clean-up your inventory (as it was mentioned by (Patch, I think) Linden that inventory count also has an effect on crossing and TPs and rezzing) and basically be just this side of naked. LOL All weekend I have been crossing regions willy-nilly without any issues and an average of one-second delays in Blake Sea - in boats, helicopters, etc. Boats by Bandit/The Mesh Shop and helicopter by Kelly Shergood - these are considered by many to be superior in their lean scripting and region crossing.

As for the inventory thing - use an in-world archiver tool. I use CTS Wardrobe and the CTS Archive is perfecto. Whittled my 250,000 item inventory down to 30,000 so far and border crossing TP, and general rezzing is noticeably improved.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

THIS.

And also dressing inappropriately.

Remove HUDs, wear unscripted (delete resizer scripts) clothing and attachments, clean-up your inventory (as it was mentioned by (Patch, I think) Linden that inventory count also has an effect on crossing and TPs and rezzing) and basically be just this side of naked. LOL All weekend I have been crossing regions willy-nilly without any issues and an average of one-second delays in Blake Sea - in boats, helicopters, etc. Boats by Bandit/The Mesh Shop and helicopter by Kelly Shergood - these are considered by many to be superior in their lean scripting and region crossing.

As for the inventory thing - use an in-world archiver tool. I use CTS Wardrobe and the CTS Archive is perfecto. Whittled my 250,000 item inventory down to 30,000 so far and border crossing TP, and general rezzing is noticeably improved.

My inventory is under 30k and has been for some time. My avatar complexity is below 35k. And I haven't stripped any of the scripts out. Yet.

I wasn't having any tp issues until a few days ago. It started for me long after it was happening to most everyone else. Then it stopped for a couple of days. The frequency has decreased a good bit but the bug that was introduced in a release is still there. They are working on it still.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

My inventory is under 30k and has been for some time. My avatar complexity is below 35k. And I haven't stripped any of the scripts out. Yet.

I wasn't having any tp issues until a few days ago. It started for me long after it was happening to most everyone else. Then it stopped for a couple of days. The frequency has decreased a good bit but the bug that was introduced in a release is still there. They are working on it still.

Yes, the same for me. Though my post that you quote was mostly addressing region crossing in vehicles. :)

Just for info, I was flying a Shergood-scripted helicopter (UH-4), My Inventory is around 45000, and my avatar comes in at 26000 in my flying suit and system head (okay 44000 in my day clothes and Maitrey/Lelutka).

And I still have sim-crossing issues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amina Sopwith said:
4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

(Doing her Scotty impression) It's verra simple lass...ye're usin' the wrrrrrong vehicles.

Ye cannae change the laws of buggy LL coding physics!

Maybe if you dictate the formula verbally into your computer mouse.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

Just for info, I was flying a Shergood-scripted helicopter (UH-4), My Inventory is around 45000, and my avatar comes in at 26000 in my flying suit and system head (okay 44000 in my day clothes and Maitrey/Lelutka).

And I still have sim-crossing issues.

How about: In how many groups you are and how many friends who have in your friends list?

Just a few days ago I heard Patch Linden to say that if you are in lots of groups and if the groups are big that will have bad impact to region crossings. Also if your friends list is very big that will have bad impact to region crossings too. Surprisingly (contrary to what people generally believe) a big inventory does not have big impact to region crossings (unless it is really huge one).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, anna2358 said:

Until Linden Labs fixes the Sim Crossing and TP bug, I have decided not to buy any new vehicles.

I just sold some mainland, and I was considering buying a new plane, but when I tried the demo, I got dispatched by the Sim Crossing Bug 3 times in 10 minutes.  Sorry, LL is going to put you all out of business.

As a vehicle seller, the region crossing bugs impact my sales, too. I build bikes intended for long road trips. Much of SL motorcycle activity is on single-sim tracks spiraling up into the sky, out of frustration with sim crossing problems. This gets boring after you've driven the track a few times.

Vehicles with more than one passenger are much more likely to fail. This limits so many activities. Going for a drive with someone seldom works reliably. Large planes and buses aren't used much. "Passengers of SL" tries to set up airline-like operations, but not with much success.

Kelly Shergood sells helicopters for urban emergency scenarios. Her latest rescue model needs a pilot and a winch operator, and can be used to lower rescue people to a boat. On land, it can deploy wheeled gurneys, on which patients can be placed, the gurneys pushed to the helicopter, and the patients flown to a hospital. The pilot has all the switches, instruments, and controls of a real helicopter, and they all work. Shergood has flown helicopters in RL and insists her craft be realistic. Learning to fly this thing takes many hours; it flies like a real helicopter.

So you get this beautiful piece of SL engineering properly staffed with people who have practiced their jobs. You have a rescue scenario all set up. You take off and head for the trouble spot. And then you get blown out of the sky by a region crossing failure.

Totally breaks immersion and ruins the experience. It discourages a whole area of roleplay that, except for this bug, SL supports well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

How about: In how many groups you are and how many friends who have in your friends list?

Just a few days ago I heard Patch Linden to say that if you are in lots of groups and if the groups are big that will have bad impact to region crossings. Also if your friends list is very big that will have bad impact to region crossings too. Surprisingly (contrary to what people generally believe) a big inventory does not have big impact to region crossings (unless it is really huge one).

It does, but (and I always forget to clarify this) if it's FLAT. If you are well-organized with folders then it's less impact. I could also be misremembering and mixing that up with rez-performance. I forget which. SO MANY moving parts: computer CPU speed RAM speed, Hard Disk speed, Wired or WiFi, Bandwidth, number of hops between you and LL servers, concurrently-running software along with the viewer, WHICH viewer... and all that before we even get to LL systems. :)

11 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Do you actually have evidence that LL programmed inventory, groups and friends as a data packet attached to a avatar that has to be transferred in it's entirety at each sim crossing (and not as a single index to a database)?  The mind boggles.  Calling himself 'Patch' would seem appropriate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anna2358 said:

Do you actually have evidence that LL programmed inventory, groups and friends as a data packet attached to a avatar that has to be transferred in it's entirety at each sim crossing (and not as a single index to a database)?  The mind boggles.  Calling himself 'Patch' would seem appropriate.

It's worse. Your avatar has no existence at all other than being a "thing" that happens to be in a region. When you "log in your avatar," you're actually logging into a simulation of a 256 x 256 meter section of virtual land, which happens to contain an imaginary being which you can control. Upon moving from one region to another, you're actually entering a completely different simulation, and your avatar and all its goods and chattels needs to be removed from one simulation and added to another.

Such is Second Life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.