Jump to content

question... new item box/ shopping bag not opening...


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

This has happened to me about 5 times with clothing items from market place.  When I'm in my home, I press the box of my new purchase.  But, the box does not open and there is nothing in inventory.  What does this mean?  Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sandra8675 said:

When I'm in my home, I press the box of my new purchase.

Not all things have a script in that works that way.  Try right right click and copy to inventory but as Fionalein says,  give it time to upload

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got confused early on by all the variations.

Some can be dragged to the floor, and touched or right click open/unpacked.

The some load to inventory, but some you must click accept in a tab which appears top right on my screen.

Some I 'add' and a bag appears on my arm and can be opened in one of the above ways.

Finally, some things are double bagged, which is very confusing!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Some can be dragged to the floor, and touched or right click open/unpacked.

Just for the record: ALL prims, mesh, sculpties, anything that has anything in its content can always be dragged to the floor, right-click to choose OPEN, then click the button that says "Copy to Inventory". *Everything, including those annoying attachable shopping bags, unpacker HUDS, everything.

The one and only possibility where this will not work is if the creator put an "LLDie" script into the box/bag/hud that prevents rezzing (to which you can just go to any parcel where scripts are turned off) - and that is a real jerk creator I'll likely add to my "avoid" list. :)

Some creators using HUDs try to be slick about it by putting the contents into a linked part. Easy to find by turn on Edit Linked then checking each prim. in the end though - if you end up with an empty box you should contact the creator first. If that fails a resolution then Flag the listing on market Place (if that's where you got it).

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to be careful of:  If it attaches to you for automatic unpacking(with or without requiring a touch) and the package contains more than one no-copy item, not all items will actually unpack. For some reason, it stops after the first no-copy item.  Thus I always play it safe and rez every package I get, open it myself and copy to inventory.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Just for the record: ALL prims, mesh, sculpties, anything that has anything in its content can always be dragged to the floor, right-click to choose OPEN, then click the button that says "Copy to Inventory". *Everything, including those annoying attachable shopping bags, unpacker HUDS, everything.

The one and only possibility where this will not work is if the creator put an "LLDie" script into the box/bag/hud that prevents rezzing (to which you can just go to any parcel where scripts are turned off) - and that is a real jerk creator I'll likely add to my "avoid" list. :)

Some creators using HUDs try to be slick about it by putting the contents into a linked part. Easy to find by turn on Edit Linked then checking each prim. in the end though - if you end up with an empty box you should contact the creator first. If that fails a resolution then Flag the listing on market Place (if that's where you got it).

Thank you...  I will try the dragging it down to the ground which i have not done yet.  And...  Yes I do have one in which the box is empty.  Even though I wrote to the creator and stated it was empty nothing was done to fix it.  I will try one more time.  If nothing is fixed I will flag on mp.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

One thing to be careful of:  If it attaches to you for automatic unpacking(with or without requiring a touch) and the package contains more than one no-copy item, not all items will actually unpack. For some reason, it stops after the first no-copy item.  Thus I always play it safe and rez every package I get, open it myself and copy to inventory.

This!

I have lost some no copy parts to things by letting them auto-unpack and then deleting them without checking to make sure what's in my inventory really is everything that was in the box.  And it has happened even if I don't let it attach to me, but rez it on the floor.

I'm with Belinda.  Clever creators have been TOO clever with designing "easy open" packaging.  The simple rez, right click to Open, select and drag items to inventory works well, is easy to learn, and is nearly foolproof.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I have lost some no copy parts to things by letting them auto-unpack and then deleting them without checking to make sure what's in my inventory really is everything that was in the box.  And it has happened even if I don't let it attach to me, but rez it on the floor.

Yep, no-copy and auto-unpack just do not play nice with each other.

 

14 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'm with Belinda.  Clever creators have been TOO clever with designing "easy open" packaging.  The simple rez, right click to Open, select and drag items to inventory works well, is easy to learn, and is nearly foolproof.

Which is why I get really ticked at creators that make a box go poof it is is rezzed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its the same for a lot of applications in RL, too. If only creators would get a few people that have never done it before and ask them to try it out and comment. Then they'd find out for sure if their latest clever-dick idea really was as clever as they thought!

It would be very helpful if the correct way to open items was stated a bit more clearly. Given the several different ways that can be encountered these days, just (Wear) isn't always very informative, and we never "wear" anything to avoid mucking our outfit up (we "add" instead).

I know there isn't room for lengthy instructions in a boxed item's name, but short descriptions like "Rez and open", "Add and open", "Just add"  etc might help?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually go with the lowest tech version of anything, including boxes. L Click gives an info notecard to prospective buyers. R Click Opens the box, so contents can be copied or moved to inventory. Hover text explains this. But I regularly get people who LClick repeatedly and then tell me all they got was a NC. They don’t  open or look in the box.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I usually go with the lowest tech version of anything, including boxes. L Click gives an info notecard to prospective buyers. R Click Opens the box, so contents can be copied or moved to inventory. Hover text explains this. But I regularly get people who LClick repeatedly and then tell me all they got was a NC. They don’t  open or look in the box.

Yes, all good advice! But you know. I know, too. But to a newbie, its a bit of a black art!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Odaks said:

Yes, all good advice! But you know. I know, too. But to a newbie, its a bit of a black art!

True. In my experience, it’s also sometimes just a case of not reading (the hover text that says R CLICK TO OPEN AND COPY TO INVENTORY) or in some cases, confusing L and R (although I have to avoid telling them that). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 2:59 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

This!

I have lost some no copy parts to things by letting them auto-unpack and then deleting them without checking to make sure what's in my inventory really is everything that was in the box.  And it has happened even if I don't let it attach to me, but rez it on the floor.

I'm with Belinda.  Clever creators have been TOO clever with designing "easy open" packaging.  The simple rez, right click to Open, select and drag items to inventory works well, is easy to learn, and is nearly foolproof.

Hm. I've never lost any no copy items using auto-unpack. But I don't use it that often. The habit of rezzing on the ground is too ingrained by now. I don't like attaching things because then you have to edit and then drag and drop. Opening and copying to inventory doesn't work unless the box is scripted.

Don't get me started on the ones that use HUDs. >:(

Just make the box copyable and let me rez it on the ground. I don't need or want all the fancy scripting. Just more hoops to jump through and I end up wasting spending more time messing with them than I do just rezzing and copying to inventory.

 

Edited by Selene Gregoire
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:
2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

sometimes just a case of not reading (the hover text..........)

 

Sometimes..... exactly. I've just rummaged through my inventory and opened a few boxes that had no information at all about how to open them in their item names, no signs of any hovertext at any point in the proceedings, but auto-opened on left-click after rezzing. It seems that some creators do it well for their customers, others maybe not so well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Odaks said:

 It seems that some creators do it well for their customers, others maybe not so well.

i don't think you can state this so general. For, in special, older players this was always the normal way for unboxing items. Many old items at MP and in some stores will still use this basic principle and aren't made in a time the way to open would change as it does now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

i don't think you can state this so general

Yes, fair comment. Its just a bit of a mish-mash for the newbie now, with different systems for opening boxes, and its not always obvious as to which way it should be done.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...