Selection Performance

NiranV Dean

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got fed up with the performance in my own Viewer today and downloaded the latest 6.1.1 animesh release to get a fresh look at how the official Viewer is doing. Needless to say it was running a good bit faster, but when i started going through a few menus, freezes here, hangs there, performance tanks everywhere, i lose half my framerate with just having "People" open but when i right clicked a mesh and my framerate went down below 1 FPS it dawned upon me, this is even worse than i remember. I just recently merged the latest code and saw some face selection fixes coming in and i got the suspicion that whatever happened is now in my Viewer too. I booted up my Viewer again and selected the same mesh and what i saw really was to my dislike. Again less than 1 FPS. I booted up an older version just to make sure, ~30 FPS... what happened? It seems like in the attempt to fix face selection they made some very costly code run per face per prim/mesh part rather than per entire selection as one as it was before, depending on mesh this can easily multiply the amount of run-throughs by the hundreds. This is not okay, watch out when you select rigged meshes!

unknown.png

Just look at the difference.

Soon in all your Viewers™ 

• Thanks 1

Sadly this is a very long-standing problem on almost every viewer. (Especially for things that go above 200-300k tris like Belleza Freya, cough. Hope you enjoy freezing for 5 seconds or crashing, unless you have a high-end PC.) Isn't it more related to how the highlighting is rendered, though? Because things only seem to get worse with denser wireframes rather than simple face-count. 

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Sadly this is a very long-standing problem on almost every viewer. (Especially for things that go above 200-300k tris like Belleza Freya, cough. Hope you enjoy freezing for 5 seconds or crashing, unless you have a high-end PC.) Isn't it more related to how the highlighting is rendered, though? Because things only seem to get worse with denser wireframes rather than simple face-count. 

This is not only a long standing issue but its also an issue that just got worse with the latest release for no good reason.

The overall problem is that the selection can never be truly efficient unless we do some fancy shader magic perhaps (such as doing a cell-shading like post processing shader that does the outlines which would be... a lot buggier than what we have now) and since meshes are getting worse by the second since they are getting less and less optimized, this issue is only going to be worse although i'm unsure how much worse it can get i mean i'm clearly down to 0.6 FPS already... that's worse than Belleza (which dropped me to 1-3 FPS previously). It needs to stop.

unknown.png

Went to Ark to find a Belleza Body, note that im already down to ~20-25 FPS due to the avatars around but even with Belleza selected i still get 8 FPS and that's with realtime updating wireframes, if i did that with the new code i'd blow up the Viewer in an instant. This thing has 500k polygons.

I selected her entire goddamn avatar (minus the tail and 1-2 belly piercings, couldn't get them selected...)

unknown.png

I'm still getting 6 FPS. I have roughly a million triangles in selection.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Try Catznip Viewer 12.1. Seriously.

Pretty sure Catznip 12.1 doesn't have the latest 6.1.1 changes yet, there would be no point in trying it but i'll do it regardless later, i wonder if Kitty has implemented a similar performance fix for selections like i did *checks their repo...*

Edited by NiranV Dean

9 hours ago, elixdude said:

Yeah any viewer have those framerate dropped significanly when trying to right click those body, or even, plenty of mesh right clicked :( (Except black dragon).

I was able to download and test the Singularity Alpha just now (the website was down), the latest Singu doesn't have this issue anymore either but Singu has massive performance tanks while holding shift or hovering with mesh picking enabled, currently talking to Liru to help them get this fixed.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.