Jump to content
  • 0
Sloofish

Where can one post update logs on their marketplace items?

Question

New to the "forums and blogs" side of second life.

I am in the process of making and starting up a shop in the marketplace when I realized I don't know where to post updates on such a thing. Is there somewhere in the forums I can share progress and announcements or info on patches for my marketplace content and scripts? (The mesh and scripting boards seem more for requesting help with errors rather than sharing projects.)

I've been looking through the forums for a bit but somehow I just haven't found any mention of (promotional or condemning or otherwise) 'self promotion' or talking about one's own shops and items. Is that something to make a blog for instead? How does one find blogs, or promote their blog, if so?

My particular shop will be focusing on maternity wear and maternity meshes, so I figure since it's a very specific 'niche' (rather than something more vague like "shoes"), it would be nice to be able to allocate others who have that specific niche as an interest, as well as keep in touch with those using my items so they can report script errors or conflict complications and I can see and better respond to them. Please forgive me if this is not something that is done in the forums, as I have no idea what I am doing and I absolutely want to be sure such a thread is even allowed, and where to put it, before wasting anyone's time. (Mods are busy folk!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

While you're not allowed to create self-promoting forum posts, there are lots of ways to advertise!

  • Put a link to your store in your forum signature (see mine, for example).
  • The Marketplace, of course!
  • Hold an event (sale, party with a DJ, a store-wide hunt) and post it in Events...if you have an in-world location
  • Put a link to your store in your Profile (or three...on your main profile page, in your Picks, and in your Website tab)
  • Again, if you have an in-world store, create a Place Page for it
  • Start a blog
  • Facebook, Flickr, Tumblr, and other social media

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
6 hours ago, Sloofish said:

I wish there was a place to make forum posts for this sort of thing though, even if there was too much 'spam' to sort through to find anything, it would be helpful to link to people who purchased your items

the reason why is in your own post  "spam". Add to that that a lot of people aren't able to post in the right forum section it's a wise choice not to allow these posts.
With the amount of shops/creators in SL your post wouldn't be visisble for longer than 3 seconds anyway and burried under hundreds of others.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 minutes ago, Sloofish said:

New to the "forums and blogs" side of second life.

I am in the process of making and starting up a shop in the marketplace when I realized I don't know where to post updates on such a thing. Is there somewhere in the forums I can share progress and announcements or info on patches for my marketplace content and scripts? (The mesh and scripting boards seem more for requesting help with errors rather than sharing projects.)

I've been looking through the forums for a bit but somehow I just haven't found any mention of (promotional or condemning or otherwise) 'self promotion' or talking about one's own shops and items. Is that something to make a blog for instead? How does one find blogs, or promote their blog, if so?

My particular shop will be focusing on maternity wear and maternity meshes, so I figure since it's a very specific 'niche' (rather than something more vague like "shoes"), it would be nice to be able to allocate others who have that specific niche as an interest, as well as keep in touch with those using my items so they can report script errors or conflict complications and I can see and better respond to them. Please forgive me if this is not something that is done in the forums, as I have no idea what I am doing and I absolutely want to be sure such a thread is even allowed, and where to put it, before wasting anyone's time. (Mods are busy folk!)

A lot (most) of marketing -- especially for clothes -- is on Flickr these days.  Some folks do Facebook. 

Self-promotion and announcement of products is not allowed  -- as you guessed.  You can also make a store group if you choose too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

You can also make a store group if you choose too.  

That sounds like a good idea, and thank you for the suggestions. How does one go about making a store group?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

There's no such thing as a "store group."  What Chic means is "create a group and give it a name that identifies it with your store, like Sloofish's Shoppe."  Then just invite people who buy stuff to join.  Maybe put a notecard in with your MP products than includes an invitation to the group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

What Chic means is "create a group and give it a name that identifies it with your store

That is also a good idea. I wish there was a place to make forum posts for this sort of thing though, even if there was too much 'spam' to sort through to find anything, it would be helpful to link to people who purchased your items. Which is just what you described, only I feel it would be a little nicer to have a welcome space for it here. Either way, these suggestions still do the trick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...