Marketplace Merchants: Please don't do this....

Rufferta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently ordered something on the Marketplace, but when I got the package it had a notecard instructing me to pick up the item at another location - which no longer existed. When I went back to give feedback the listing was no longer there - either LL had removed the listing, or the seller had taken it down.

I have hopes of eventually getting the item, since the seller was a respected merchant and her IM's weren't capped yet. 

Remember, you may leave Second Life for a while, but your listings may stay on the Marketplace for a long time afterwards. You don't want to return to face an angry mob.

13 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

I recently ordered something on the Marketplace, but when I got the package it had a notecard instructing me to pick up the item at another location - which no longer existed. When I went back to give feedback the listing was no longer there - either LL had removed the listing, or the seller had taken it down.

I have hopes of eventually getting the item, since the seller was a respected merchant and her IM's weren't capped yet. 

Remember, you may leave Second Life for a while, but your listings may stay on the Marketplace for a long time afterwards. You don't want to return to face an angry mob.

Sounds like you fell victim to a scammer. One of those who rip people off trying to sell empty boxes saying they are selling some of the most popular items on the grid for unbelievably cheap prices. You will see these stores pop up over the weekend many times. They only last a day or two at best before being reported and removed from the marketplace. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

her IM's weren't capped yet.

as far i know only the receiver gets a message for too many messages, or even no message at all, the sender will notice nothing

(correct me if i'm wrong please)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

as far i know only the receiver gets a message for too many messages, or even no message at all, the sender will notice nothing

That confused me too.  I had no idea there was a way to tell if someone elses IMs were capped

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

I only had messages capped once LONG ago, but yes, there were apparently messaged that I never received. So unless that has been fixed, NOTECARDS ARE BETTER. :D.

IF the seller was a "well-respected merchant as it says" and not a RESELLER then all sorts of things could have happened. Searching for an existing shop might be the best method.  Another good reason NOT to buy without seeing a demo. ^^

1 hour ago, Rufferta said:

You wouldn't get any sort of response about that whether they were or weren't.  Most of the top merchants will have their accounts set to send IMs to email when they are offline.  I'm pretty sure they keep going to email even when the inworld save limit is reached - which is part of why people enable that feature.

If she's a respected merchant, then I'd say to give it a few days before thinking the worst.  If you haven't done so yet, poke around her profile to see if there is a link to a new inworld location.

• Thanks 1

My messages get capped all the time on both Debi and Blush, but my messages also go to email so for the most part I get my messages anyway. I routinely send myself messages to remind me of tasks I need to do with either of my alts. Sometimes I don't get those messages when I log in my alt though because the messages were capped. I've never ever gotten any kind of notification that the person I was trying to message had their messages capped, including messaging my own alt. I did get the message in my email though.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If she's a respected merchant

I question whether it was even the respected merchant selling the product. I have seen numerous scammers selling the Maitreya Lara Mesh body for 99L. They show a nice box with a picture of the body on it .. but is it the body? No! Is it Onyx selling the product? Again, no!

I think the OP needs to file a ticket or provide more information before we can really help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

That confused me too.  I had no idea there was a way to tell if someone elses IMs were capped

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I only had messages capped once LONG ago, but yes, there were apparently messaged that I never received.

No no no.  There is not and has never been any way for the sender of an IM to tell if the receiver read it or not, never mind be told the receivers IM's are capped.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

No no no.  There is not and has never been any way for the sender of an IM to tell if the receiver read it or not, never mind be told the receivers IM's are capped.

What I meant was that the persons that SENT me messages that were capped told me LATER that they had sent them -- I just didn't receive them.  Oddly, and this was years ago but on FS I had "IMs going to email" which I believed should have solved the problem with capping. It didn't. Again, LONG AGO (about four years) and just MY experience and may not have had anything to do with how it is supposed to work.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chic Aeon said:

What I meant was that the persons that SENT me messages that were capped told me LATER that they had sent them -- I just didn't receive them.  Oddly, and this was years ago but on FS I had "IMs going to email" which I believed should have solved the problem with capping. It didn't. Again, LONG AGO (about four years) and just MY experience and may not have had anything to do with how it is supposed to work.  

Message capping has no effect on getting offline messages to email - these are never capped.
the capping only happens when you log back in - you are capped with how many offline messages are displayed in the viewer next login.

However, offline messages to email is flaky & it's not unusual not to receive all your offline emails either.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

However, offline messages to email is flaky & it's not unusual not to receive all your offline emails either.

often my offline messages aren't stored as IM inworld, looks deleted as soon it's send to email, and i'm pretty sure it's not the amount makes it capped, i don't get that many, have nearly all my groups disabled for notices and IM's... and not really a huge problem, most don't come further than "hi"... with some luck "hi how are you" .. no need to respond to those  :)

2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

From my own experience Ethan, once you respond to an offline through the e-mail, it gets yanked out of the queue for display on log in.

yes, but i don't respond by email, it's just gone after receiving the offliner being send to email, and not longer present inworld.

Edited by Ethan Paslong

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

only of you cannot set up your email properly

Ah yes, so a response by Linden Lab's servers is affected by how one sets up an E-mail address ....

Unless you're managing your own mail server - meaning in house hosting - this is not a factor at all.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:54 PM, Rufferta said:

when I got the package it had a notecard instructing me to pick up the item at another location

I believe that is against the Second Life Marketplace Listing Guidelines.

Non-Item Listings. The SL Marketplace is also not to be used for:

• Advertising events, places, or groups.
  • Creating Listings for land sales/rentals except as for free in the Marketplace Land Categories,
  • Dispensing catalogs or information regarding an item without actually delivering that item, or
  • Dispensing catalogs or information regarding a service without actually charging at least 50% of the value of that service.
  • Creating Demo Product Listings without linking the Demo to the Full Version of the product.

•  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Creating Demo Product Listings without linking the Demo to the Full Version of the product.

I didn't know about this and I see it all the time. Gonna hafta get that twitchy Flagging finger ready.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Iren Tinkel said:

Typical for gatcha items. Once i got some like that, good it was around 10 ld or so. Never buy gatcha resell again.

While I usually hate regular gacha I bought several gacha vouchers on MP - some rares for thousands of L$s - this never happend to me.

Edited by Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.