How much $ have you made via KittyCats, PlantPets, DFS, other breedables?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I hope this is not derailing but, the only way for you to make anything back for this kind of game is for someone else to lose it to you (after the creator got his cut).

Not necessarily the truth.

I purchased a male and female from KittyCats and mated them. My goal was to get a teacup size. I did succeed in producing some petite size kittys with some unusual traits from the original parentage but nothing original. That can be done, be it tail, eyes, ears, even twins. I have plenty of Panda cats and others but they don't offer any significant looks.

Bottom line, any cats that were far from the original mating ended up being given as gifts and I still have about 18 cats in inventory for any future attempt or gift giving. Sure, it's expensive but I had fun. A look at MP will show MANY cats offered for sale not directly from KittyCats.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nimue Galatea said:

How much $ have you made via KittyCats, PlantPets, DFS, other breedables?

-- without having much of a "startup capital" to begin with? Or do those only make sense to partake in if you've got a lot of lindens to invest in breedables with?

Zero, zilch, nill, O

I wouldn't even start with breedables or any other CPU-hogging, lag-inducing pyramid scheme, even if I were offered money for it.

I wouldn't even rent a single square meter of land on any continent or island estate if there's the slightest whiff of breedable farm on it.

In fact, over the course of time, I abandoned numerous swaths of land after I found out I got new neighbors who started to breed things and all scripted objects around me started to run like peanut butter from an opened, upside-down jar.

But that's just my personal opinion that I needed to vent here, based on the title. As you can tell, it hit a nerve. Let that by no means keep you from having fun with breedables.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Collectable, resellable breedables are absolutely pyramid schemes, it's not up for debate. What's kind of tragic, though, are folks in such denial about the mechanics of pyramid schemes that they still imagine it an "investment" to buy-in on the kind of products listed in the thread title, long past the crest of their growth wave. The potential value of any such scheme is in the second derivative of popularity: how fast the growth in popularity is accelerating.

Anybody who gets in while the scheme is merely growing very fast has already lost out.

• Like 2

I have toyed around with a couple of breedables for brief periods of time, but never with the intent of raising them for profit. I did it because I enjoyed the game of breeding. I never had a large number of them all pinned up and spitting out one after the other and clogging region performance either, but I do have several packed full boxes of bunnies and meerros sitting in my inventory.  During my time of experimentation I did enjoy going to auctions just for the experience. I can assure you that the number of those who actually made money on their offspring are very, very rare. So if you want to play for fun ... go for it, but if you are thinking of it as a business opportunity .. think again. 

• Like 3

With the possible exceptions of being a particularly successful builder or landlord, I've not yet come across any job in SL that reliably paid more Ls per hour than you could earn by doing even minimum wage RL work and just buying them. Even in the case of builders, I don't know whether they factor in all the unpaid time they spent learning to build.

A wise woman once told me that the best way to earn a large fortune was to start with a small one.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 2

Meh!! I let other people breed the pretties, then I collect the ones that  result and perma* them. 😎 Then I have a pet I never have to feed, that never gets sick. I have a bunch of cats in my life in real life, so I needed to have a bunch in my SL too. 

As someone said above, you should breed if you love it and want to try to breed something unique. Not so much for making money. In addition to money, breeding also requires a time investment and free prims (land). Most breeders I know end up having a large collection of kittens -- and giving them most of them away. They breed b/c they enjoy it.

I do see some very high priced kitties on MP, but many of them have been there for months or longer... so don't assume that just because someone is asking a high price they will be getting it.

*Like pretty much all things KittyCats! related, perma-catting is not cheap - 1500 or 1800L, currently, I believe.  (It depends on the age of the cat - older, post breeding age ones are slightly cheaper, though perma-catting really is more expensive than it ought to be if you have paid to feed and breed a cat during its breeding life). Anyway, in the long run, perma-catting is still cheaper than feeding a breeding pair and you know exactly what you're getting and your cat will never get sick.  You can get the perma stuff at the kittycats official store.  Occasionally, you can find a perma'd cat for sale that is not much more than the cost of the perma.

My first cat in SL was a freebie and it was perma already -- from firestorm for their anniversary. I haven't seen them give one out in recent years, though they have given away other creatures  Keep your ears open for collectable gift cats though; various groups give away 'special' kitties, though mostly they aren't perma (this includes kittycats people who recently gave out their annual pair of birthday cats. You can breed them if you wish). 

BTW, the quote I remember was this: the best way to make a small fortune is to start with a large one...  😉

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.