Why am I crashing constantly

Eva Paneer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, MBeatrix said:

This is getting beyond a joke... My body keeps loosing the settings after each TP failure.

If you make a change to your attachments - editing them in any way. detach the edited attachments, wait 30 seconds then attach again. Then this revert will not happen.

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

If you make a change to your attachments - editing them in any way. detach the edited attachments, wait 30 seconds then attach again. Then this revert will not happen.

Good thing you're around. For all reasons I can think of, not only this one...

How on Earth are we supposed to know that? 😄

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

'Twas ever thus, it is in the nature of the items.  A given state (be it a script or an edited item) is not saved until the item is no longer associated with the account, either when it is removed or the account logs off correctly.  I know next to nothing about SL, but that I DID know (gosh hark at the smart-ass). :S

43 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

'Twas ever thus, it is in the nature of the items.  A given state (be it a script or an edited item) is not saved until the item is no longer associated with the account, either when it is removed or the account logs off correctly.  I know next to nothing about SL, but that I DID know (gosh hark at the smart-ass). :S

Um... wait. What do you mean "the item is no longer associated with the account"? It has to be, or else how would I be able to attach it? Also, even if I don't have it attached but it has been saved to an outfit (which is always the case for me) the link to it is in Outfits. We can't go around and pick items not associated with our account unless they are free to copy... 😛

[EDIT] One more thing: I have never had this issue before, and of course that over the years I crashed many times.

Edited by MBeatrix
adding a comment

It's been like that for a very long time, likely the beginning. You can easily see this in action by wearing something Modable, altering it and then making a copy of it without first removing it. You then paste this copy elsewhere in your inventory, remove the item and put on the copy.

The copy will be of the item as it originally appeared before being edited.

There is also a difference between a crash and being logged out. For the former, no state information at all is saved whereas the latter at least tries to save your current state, edits done to what you're wearing included.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

There is also a difference between a crash and being logged out. For the former, no state information at all is saved whereas the latter at least tries to save your current state, edits done to what you're wearing included.

Right. Except that now when being logged out nothing is saved. I guess the outfits or whatever info doesn't reach the other end, just like TP's info doesn't. 😑

2 minutes ago, Bugsly Linden said:

Hey All,

We are aware and I just wanted to share a blog post that you might have not seen.

I believe that everyone in this forum has read the blog post about a week ago, but thanks, anyway. 😊

16 minutes ago, MBeatrix said:

Right. Except that now when being logged out nothing is saved. I guess the outfits or whatever info doesn't reach the other end, just like TP's info doesn't. 😑

A TP disconnect is a bit different as no information concerning the state of what you are wearing is actually being saved back to its asset database entry - its present state is simply handed off to the next server.

This is how - for example - I can be using one Anthropomorphic avatar, swap to a dfferent one, try to TP, have the TP fail (causing a log out) and then log back in and have the avatar I started with be the one I log in wearing - though this depends on how far along the hand off got before it failed.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

A TP disconnect is a bit different as no information concerning the state of what you are wearing is actually being saved back to its asset database entry - its present state is simply handed off to the next server.

This is how - for example - I can be using one Anthropomorphic avatar, swap to a dfferent one, try to TP, have the TP fail (causing a log out) and then log back in and have the avatar I started with be the one I log in wearing - though this depends on how far along the hand off got before it failed.

Oh, something just occurred to me... Let me explain what happens exactly.

I start a new session and change my outfit. In most cases I have to change the body alpha cuts for the outfit I changed to. Next, I change the shirt's texture from the HUD provided by its maker, for example. Then, I try to teleport somewhere and the system logs me out after a while. When I log back in, I am wearing the outfit I changed to but the body definitions and the shirt are back to how they were before I changed outfits. Thus, it seems only definitions changed by scripts or whatever are being affected...

Edited by MBeatrix
corrections

13 minutes ago, MBeatrix said:

Oh, something just occurred to me... Let me explain what happens exactly.

I start a new session and change my outfit. In most cases I have to change the body alpha cuts for the outfit I changed to. Next, I change the shirt's texture from the HUD provided by its maker, for example. Then, I try to teleport somewhere and the system logs me out after a while. When I log back in, I am wearing the outfit I changed to but the body definitions and the shirt are back to how they were before I changed outfits. Thus, it seems only scripts are being affected...

Those scripts are changing actual object parameters - the sections you alpha out are doing nothing more than responding to a scripted command. Same with the clothing textures.

Those parameters are not saved until you either remove the item in question or properly log off whereas swapping to the body/clothing itself was saved as a state by the system between the teleport and disconnect.

Something similar can happen to auto alpha scripted clothing/bodies.

I've actually had this happen on occasion.

Mind, this is also going off of what you've described - I could be wrong. It sounds like you're describing a disconnect sometime after the teleport.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Those scripts are changing actual object parameters - the sections you alpha out are doing nothing more than responding to a scripted command. Same with the clothing textures.

Those parameters are not saved until you either remove the item in question or properly log off whereas swapping to the body/clothing itself was saved as a state by the system between the teleport and disconnect.

Something similar can happen to auto alpha scripted clothing/bodies.

I've actually had this happen on occasion.

Mind, this is also going off of what you've described - I could be wrong. It sounds like you're describing a disconnect sometime after the teleport.

The disconnect is during the teleport, or so it seems. It gets stuck on the TP screen and logs me out after a while.

Hmm, that is somewhat unusual behavior then. The only thing that I can figure is that your state prior to teleport and subsequent disconnection is being stored as simply what you're wearing minus any alterations that may have been made.

Erm, put another way: Swapping to a particular body/clothing combination gets saved, the alterations however weren't.

That'd be my best guess at any rate - a fair bit better than how it could be. Best bet? If you've made an alteration, swap out/detach then swap back/reattach before teleport.

Hopefully that changes the end result of the disconnect. Won't solve the disconnect itself but might just save you a bit of hassle on relog.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Hmm, that is somewhat unusual behavior then. The only thing that I can figure is that your state prior to teleport and subsequent disconnection is being stored as simply what you're wearing minus any alterations that may have been made.

Erm, put another way: Swapping to a particular body/clothing combination gets saved, the alterations however weren't.

Exactly. I bet that changing a texture or a worn attachment shape manually won't be saved, either.

Anyway, I'll keep testing stuff.

2 hours ago, Bugsly Linden said:

Hey All,

We are aware and I just wanted to share a blog post that you might have not seen.

And may we know when the fabulous team will FINALLY DO SOMETHING ??

More than a week since the announcement... More than 3 weeks crashing hard everyday... Maybe time to hire a REAL engineer ?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yep - until detached, the alterations are little more than a temporary state.

Best of luck!

Interesting... I attached a new item but didn't save it to the outfit, and went hopping around till I got disconnected. When I re-logged to the last place where I had been, supposedly, I was placed where I had first logged in, but the new item I added was still attached, despite not being saved to the outfit. How about that?

49 minutes ago, MBeatrix said:

Interesting... I attached a new item but didn't save it to the outfit, and went hopping around till I got disconnected. When I re-logged to the last place where I had been, supposedly, I was placed where I had first logged in, but the new item I added was still attached, despite not being saved to the outfit. How about that?

The list of items you're wearing is stored in a part of your inventory called the "Current Outfit" folder. It updates on the server every time you make a change.

The items you are wearing are stored on the "asset servers." The item state in the asset server doesn't change until you remove the worn item or log out cleanly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The list of items you're wearing is stored in a part of your inventory called the "Current Outfit" folder. It updates on the server every time you make a change.

The items you are wearing are stored on the "asset servers." The item state in the asset server doesn't change until you remove the worn item or log out cleanly.

Ah yep! I should have noted that there is a somewhat different behavior between properly saved outfits and your current outfit. 

"Current Outfit" is essentially your unsaved current state, if it matches a saved outfit, the system can far more easily keep track and you're likely to log in wearing that after a crash or teleport disconnect. 

Some of the behavior I've described was before the implementation of Outfits. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.