[Unsolved] Can't start game?

Senedo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well I am new here, and with trouble.

I tried to start game play, but when I launched the world/game it tells me that my computers can't read what I am trying to start, without some program. I already downloaded the program, and downloaded the pheonix viewer, but nether my Windows, Nor Linux computers Firefox4, Internet Explorer8, or Google chrome5 would let me start the program. I did everything my two IM friends said, but still can't run the game.

And if no browser is needed my computer doesn't give me the ption to do anything related to second life itself.

Now I just need help setting PheonixViewer up and the Second Life download work on my Linux. Can someone walk me through setting up the programs?

Why don't you download SL V2 from the main Second Life site and run that?  You don't use IE or Firefox to go in world on Second Life.  It's not really a game,  it's more of a creative social 3d virtual world.  You can play games inside Second Life,  but you do have to get in first. 

http://secondlife.com/     <<< start there :-)   Download the "viewer".  

Good luck!

For been in a 3D World like SL you have to install a viewer (SL, Phoenix, Imprudence, Hippo).

So you need the setup.exe of these viewers.

You propably registered through your Internet browser that's why you confuse about it.

If you still have problem to run the setup.exe (for example Second_Life_2-6-6-228244_BetaViewer_Setup.exe) try right click on it and run it as administrator.

You shouldnt have problem with that tho

Welcome to our wonderful world :)

Phoenix is the name of one of the 3rd party viewers, you can see the full list of them on here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

They are just alternate versions of the official LL viewer, each one has a few features of its own making it slightly different to the official viewer. You don`t need to get all the viewers to work on your computers, so long as you can get into SL on one of them, that's fine. After a while you will get used to things and be able to make an informed decision about what viewer suits you best.

As for the last name thing, LL changed to single usernames last year, if you use a viewer (such as Phoenix) that still has 2 boxes on login for 1st and last names, you just use Resident as your last name.

Once you are inworld you can choose to have a display name with 2 names if you wish.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Display-names/ta-p/700173

Okay. But back to another theing. With the viewer(Choosen Pheonix) how do I set it up for my Linux computer? I installed it directlly from the site, but it is downloaded in packeaged form, which I have no idea on setting up.

Why I'd be. Phoenix finally respond to me with help, but there help did nothing, I still can't start the viewer, (Nor can I set up Secondlife) and they already closed my temp account, so I can't tell them it failed.

Well does anyone at least know how I can set up Secondlife itself(I will try someone elses about set up on Phoenix viewer help). Please remember I am using a [Linux Ubuntu] computer.

Ansariel Hiller, Just posting to you that I got word from them. They told me what to do, but the program failed, and I still also need help setting up Second life to my Computer still. They already closed the temp account that they gave me, so I can't reply back to their comment about it still not working.

Must need a set up now, because I am still having problems setting the viewer itself up. While not being able to have it set up, I don't even have the SecondLife set up, as a problem itself, too.

Senedo wrote:

Must need a set up now, because I am still having problems setting the viewer itself up. While not being able to have it set up, I don't even have the SecondLife set up, as a problem itself, too.

Could you be more specific? As in what are you doing, how are you doing it, what do you expect to happen, what actually happens, and anything else you can think of. Be as verbose as you can.

Going by what the people at the Phoenix support site told me.

1.) I extracted the Viewer from download to my home folder,

2.) Then went to my desktop and right click for "Create a Launcher" and set the program name as Phoenix Viewer, as they said,

3.) Then for command line they told me to put the script "Snowglobe" as the launcher command.

4.) As I done that, the program still did nothing, nor shown me that I was doing anything right or wrong.

That sounds overly complicated. Try this with the official viewer. Extract it to your home folder. Open the folder and double click on the file secondlife. It's a shell script so your desktop environment may ask if you want to open it or run it, select run or run in terminal. That's it.

If your desktop environment doesn't know how to run shell scripts things get a little more complicated. Report back your success or failure.

It failed I started to run both SecondLife and PheonixViewer both in the Terminal and they sey they are finally set up, but when I start the game, a window opens up telling that SecondLife had crashed, and wants to know if I want to send a report about it crashing.

I already restarted my computer, and re-ran the viewer in Terminal and it does not show it set up, like it has With SecondLife itself.

You have some of the most cryptic and vague replies I've seen in a long time. I'm sorry but I can't read your mind or look over your shoulder. All I know is what you tell me and you've done very little of that. If you want help then start telling us everything about your system, what you're trying to do, what you're using. What you see on the screen. Details like that.

Far as I can tell you.

I am Using Ubuntu 10.10 (With Ubuntu work enviornment) On A HP Pavilion Mini Tower from the year 2005, while as is I just gotten my self updated hardware that SecondLife says is all I would need for even minimal work.

System Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick.

Kernal Linux 2.6.35-28-generic

GNOME 2.32.0

Memory 1.9 GiB (Though I just added 2 Gig)

Processor: Intel ® Celeron® M CPU 420 @ 1.60 GHz.

Now I have ran Pheonix Viewer "SnowGlobe" in the terminal with no problems. Then I ran secondlife in the terminal with no problems, but when I started SecondLife, the game won't start, but an error massage keeps coming up telling me that Secondlife had crashed and or frozen, and that I might want to report it.

So running the viewer from the terminal works fine. It's only crashing when you run it from the menu entry, correct? What happens if after you try to run the viewer from the menu and it crashes you then try to run the viewer from the terminal? If it works does starting the viewer from the menu again still crash?

Also after the viewer crashes can you save a copy of the log file.  Open up the file browser and go to your home directory and in the view menu check "Show Hidden Files", then go to ".secondlife/logs" and there should be a file named "SecondLife.log". And I just realized you can't attach files to posts in this forum, have to get back to you on that. Maybe use jira or pastebin.

The log file shows that the viewer is crashing very early at start up, when it's creating the OpenGL context. What video card do you have in this machine, and what drivers are you using? ( It crashes before it would have printed out that info in the log file. )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.