Male Mesh avatar recommendations

AlexandriteGem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What is your favorite male mesh avatar brand (skin and shape included)? I am not interested in the "meat head" look, but a fit and trim look.
Affordable with a good variety of clothing choices available. Meaning, Below the 2500 L range

I like Signature, but am ready to check out your recommendations...

Thanks

Personally, I prefer Signature's bodies. Both Gianni and Geralt are amazing - Gianni is a little bit 'beefier' than Geralt, but better supported as far as apparel and accessories go. Belezza Jake is also popular, perhaps more so than Geralt even, and is also more on the lean side. I'd strongly recommend trying out their demos though. I think the price tag for a Signature body is at L$3,000 or so, but I could be mistaken (I -think- I got my Geralt at a sale at their store for L$1,500). But I'd also recommend buying a slightly more pricey body, if it's well-supported and functional. If you buy a body for L$2,500 just because it's cheaper than a Signature/Belezza, that's going to be L$2,500 wasted when you realize you can't find anything to wear.

You can grab the demos in their respective stores - then bring them along to a skin store (Uh. Stray Dog? I don't know, I'm not great at skin brands.. I like VYC's skins, but they're a bit 'special'), and just try the skin demos on the body demos.

Signature Geralt is my favourite but even without a skin, its well more than L$2500 (I think it's L$3500, and you need to budget at least L$1000 more for a skin because the default one isn't that great). But Orwar is right, its not really worth getting something cheaper if you can't wear anything with it. Belezza jake is  better suupported than Geralt but its beefy, almost as much as Gianni. Also bear in mind that Jake has no hand animator; you need to buy that separately too.

One exception I found recently with an alt, and really like, is Davide by Ex-Machina. It's been reduced to under L$2000 in the in-world store and that includes the head as well as the body, and the default skins are REALLY nice so you can get away with not buying another skin if you don't want to, though there are a couple of freebie skins in the store too. It is Omega compatible (when you buy the additional installer) but layer support is limited and I could not get tattoos or clothing applier layers to work at all (even though it says they should). The big advantage with this body though, is that it fits standard mesh sizes very well, so you don't have to worry that there's no clothes made specifically for it. I highly recommend this as a starter body for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money.

I use Slink for the body and GA.EG for the head (skin from GA.EG as well). It's decently priced, and fairly well supported (though not as much as Signature, I find). If you're going for the lean look though, it's pretty good. I'm certainly happy with it, though if Geralt had more support, I might spring for that. 

• Like 1

I have male alts, so I can say what I think.

1: Signature Gianni

2: Belleza Jake

3: Slink male

All my alts are outfitted with mesh heads, I bought the first Catwa head for them. And now I wish they had some of the other heads, but it is a big investment.

The Slink body is the leanest one and has the smallest arm muscles. You can reduce the torso muscles in the other bodies, but you still have the biceps and triceps built in.

I have seen a drop in clothes for Slink male, but it is still plenty to choose from. I had to switch from Slink Physique for one alt, since the support in clothes dropped for that female body.

Some say shoulders and deltoids look funny on Signature Gianni. I can not see it myself. But you can take the demo and find some poses that place the arms up and out to the side.

I will say they all have a good neck fit. Belleza Jake maybe a small issue, I really don't zoom in on their necks so close.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Some say shoulders and deltoids look funny on Signature Gianni. I can not see it myself. But you can take the demo and find some poses that place the arms up and out to the side.

I can't speak for anyone else, but what I think they might be referring to is how the shoulders/delts clip through the chest when arms are at the side because of how massive they are. 

What I highly highly recommend is testing demos with your AO/some poses you think you might use frequently to see if it fits well. My AO actually twists the arms in an odd way so there's clipping even with the Slink body. 

Yes, I have noticed that the Slink twists feet oddly sometimes. I though the animations were lousy. But now that you mentioned it....Yes, I have noticed that the Slink twists feet oddly sometimes. I though the animations were lousy. But now that you mentioned it....

slink or altamura. 

If you look around at events, you can even get an altamura for free that will look decent or occasionally one with omega for under 1000L (at an event, not normally)

source: I have two alts.  one is slink. the other is altamura. 

50 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Finding clothes for Altamura is a needle in the haystack errand.

Kauna worked fine, gabriel worked fine... unless you wnat skintight latex suit you should be fine with Altamura...

I found the body a welcome alternative to the steroid throwing mesh bodies by the competitors.

1 hour ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Finding clothes for Altamura is a needle in the haystack errand.

Don't cheap out on your mesh body. It's the one thing you'll wear every day, even if you switch out your clothes or your hairs (or even your head).

I have to agree. Clothing fits Altamura terribly, leaving very visible holes and gaps. Especially in the abdomen and arms. Some look like ghosts in a human costume.

Edited by AlexandriteGem

As someone who bought the Slink Physique body, because I slightly preferred the look over the alternatives, only to swap to Maitreya four months later; don't ignore the availability of clothing and accessories. It might not matter to some people, but it certainly matters to others, and you don't want to regret buying your body.

I'd take a look at a couple of the big men's clothing events (search for "The Mens Dept" and "The Men Jail" for two examples, I'm sure there's others), wander around them and check which bodies are supported by each piece of clothing or accessories. That will give you a feel for what the market is actually like. If you're okay with picking a body that impacts your clothing choices, that's totally fine. Just be aware of that consequence before making the decision.

Also, don't forget to make the shape that you want before committing to buying a body. You can make Gianni look like everything from an Aesthetic-tier 'meathead' to a sleeker runner - but you're gonna struggle to make the body look softer or pudgy. Oh, and don't forget to make your arms longer, don't be another T-Rex :P

• Like 1

I own several male mesh bodies, including the "top three," Belleza Jake, Signature Gianni and SLink Physique.

My current favorite is the Belleza Jake. Its the one I go back to over and over again. If you want to show a lot of skin, it has the best geometry for that. It has the best buttocks of the three. It probably comes in a close second in terms of third party support. It does, however, have issues with the neck that show up depending on your current lighting. Its default skins are pretty good and are designed to work well with specular maps if you us the Advanced Lighting Model.

While Signature Gianni has great third party support, the geometry of the body is weird. As mentioned before in other replies, it has weird shoulders and deltoids. In addition, if the pecs are made too big they start to look like pointy, man boobs. Lastly, its has the worst buttocks of the three. The skins it comes with are... okay... I would recommend DEMOing it with various third party skins.

The SLink Physique is the oldest of the three and thus has probably had a ton of older clothing made for it, but I have seen third party support for it waning lately. Its geometry is not as bad as that of the Signature Gianni. It too, however, can get man boobs if you make the pecs to big. However it does have a great buttocks! The skins it comes with are awful, I recommend using a skin applier from Aeros, they seem to bring out the best in this body. Hell any body, for that matter.

All this said, get DEMOs for all of them and really take a few days to test them out with different third party skins.

1 hour ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Thank you, Orion! I did want insight on the Aeros skin as well. They do have one for Slink, and I liked it the minute I saw it.
Thanks again!

@AlexandriteGem

Aeros actually has appliers for all three (Belleza Jake, Signature Gianni and SLink Physique).  In addition, they also have TMP installers, but that is not a body I recommend anymore.

In my opinion, Aeros has always had the best male skins in SL; even during the pre-mesh, system bodies days. Unfortunately, the  creator does not seem to be as active as she used to be, thus the selection is rather limited.

However, with the right tattoos or body freckles or even some light tinting, you can get a very unique look. They also have great head appliers for Catwa heads.

Edited by Orion Pastorelli

• 1 month later...

Or do a search in world for Signature Body, Belleza and Slink.

You should be able to get the price when picking up demos in world.  Expect to pay around L$2500 - L$3500 or so for each full body.

On 4/12/2019 at 9:58 AM, Orion Pastorelli said:

@AlexandriteGem

Aeros actually has appliers for all three (Belleza Jake, Signature Gianni and SLink Physique).  In addition, they also have TMP installers, but that is not a body I recommend anymore.

In my opinion, Aeros has always had the best male skins in SL; even during the pre-mesh, system bodies days. Unfortunately, the  creator does not seem to be as active as she used to be, thus the selection is rather limited.

However, with the right tattoos or body freckles or even some light tinting, you can get a very unique look. They also have great head appliers for Catwa heads.

Eh, I wouldn't recommend Aeros skins anymore.  They aren't bad, but there are better and updated stores these days such as Stray Dog, Avenge, Clef de Peau, and L'etre.

Stray Dog seems to be the favorite among photographers and bloggers, so keep that in mind.

Edited by Nextio

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you to all who responded.

I was looking for feedback from anyone with male mesh avatar experience.  I have played with a couple of the free mesh avatars from Altamura.

I want the best, not necessarily most expensive, in functionality, support & clothes.

I still have to learn about all the addons and their uses.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.