Issues recolouring an outfit

AyelaNewLife

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Disclaimer: I've never actually made anything in mesh myself, I'm just hoping to pick your brains.

I bought a multi-piece outfit lately that had mod/copy permissions, and I bought the white version. My plan was to recolour the outfit (because black is pretty neat). And I did, for most of the outfit, without an issue. Edit -> Select Face -> Change colour of the texture from white to black/dark grey. I'm not reinventing the wheel here.

For two of the pieces, the changes didn't "stick". I'd recolour them, they would look good, then the moment I took the piece off and reattached it, it had reverted back to it's previous colour. I don't know why, nor do I know how to fix the problem. Even better, the creator specifically requests that customers don't contact her with issues regarding modifying the outfit - it's presented "as is" with no further support. 

Here's the troubleshooting steps I've tried so far:

• Check for scrips: no scripts
  • Rez the item on the floor and recolour: same problem
  • Unlink the item: no scripts in any section, and the recolour reverts itself the moment I relink the components
  • Check if anyone else is having the same problem: at least two others do

Any idea a) what's going on here, or b) how to fix this?

1d45182846.png and 5f8f3c6ef5.png for the two troublesome pieces.

With the second one (the gloves), I can recolour some faces without an issue. The arm guard and fingers are fine, but the back of the hand covering is the one with the problems. The other piece has problems will every face I've tried.

Edit: I just noticed another odd behaviour that might help. With these clothes, if I recolour the problem area first, and then recolour the normal areas (eg the fingers), then the problem area immediately returns to white. 

Edited by AyelaNewLife

How many faces does the viewer build tools say the mesh has?

How many faces does this script say the mesh has?

{
    state_entry()
    {
        // Set the hovertext to indicate the number of sides
        integer numOfSides = llGetNumberOfSides();
        llSetText( "I have " + (string)numOfSides + " sides.", <1,1,1>, 1 );
    }
}

If they don't agree, that mesh is broken.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

It sounds similar to what happens when there are too many triangles per material, or when two meshes occupy the same space. Try selecting and tinting the whole object, not faces,  and see if tinting persists.

Tinting does persist.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

How many faces does the viewer build tools say the mesh has?

How many faces does this script say the mesh has?

{
    state_entry()
    {
        // Set the hovertext to indicate the number of sides
        integer numOfSides = llGetNumberOfSides();
        llSetText( "I have " + (string)numOfSides + " sides.", <1,1,1>, 1 );
    }
}

If they don't agree, that mesh is broken.

I'm not sure how to check how many faces the object has with the build tools; but that script returns an answer of 1, when I can manually count 4 distinct tintable faces.

I've seen this on some meshes I've uploaded, where the model in blender has N materials, it uploads as having N faces but when you try and select them and texture them individually some of them appear to be weirdly crosslinked. It's happened rarely enough to me that I havent been able to reproduce the error reliably - or I'd have posted something about it somewhere by now, possibly even filed a JIRA if it looked like an import bug - but when it does it has proved impossible to fix apart from completely trashing it, going back to blender and recreating from scratch.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 2:40 PM, Da5id Weatherwax said:

I've seen this on some meshes I've uploaded, where the model in blender has N materials, it uploads as having N faces but when you try and select them and texture them individually some of them appear to be weirdly crosslinked. It's happened rarely enough to me that I havent been able to reproduce the error reliably - or I'd have posted something about it somewhere by now, possibly even filed a JIRA if it looked like an import bug - but when it does it has proved impossible to fix apart from completely trashing it, going back to blender and recreating from scratch.

Yeah Ngons can cause mass of glitches. 

maybe try use triangulate modifier in blender? Or try find in edit mode if is there some face what have more than 4 verts. 

3 hours ago, BiroIsHere said:

Yeah Ngons can cause mass of glitches. 

maybe try use triangulate modifier in blender? Or try find in edit mode if is there some face what have more than 4 verts. 

I think you misread. ngons were never involved. in my post n was the models material count, not the number of sides of a poly, which the uploader *should* convert to independently texturable "faces" without trouble so long as 1<=n<=8 - but very rarely this glitches out and cross-links them so that you texture one and it nails some aspects of another - when that happens there seems to be nothing wrong with the model in Blender, so can;t find anything to "fix" to make the problem go away apart from trashing it and starting over.

29 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

I think you misread. ngons were never involved. in my post n was the models material count, not the number of sides of a poly, which the uploader *should* convert to independently texturable "faces" without trouble so long as 1<=n<=8 - but very rarely this glitches out and cross-links them so that you texture one and it nails some aspects of another - when that happens there seems to be nothing wrong with the model in Blender, so can;t find anything to "fix" to make the problem go away apart from trashing it and starting over.

Right, i did. Well idk then

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.