Does SL consist of multiple parallel universes?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Something weird happens, and its not the first time i have experienced it.

-Imagine i use a white dress from creator "A"
-Then i detach it and replace it with a black dress from creator B. After 30 minutes being online i crash. ("you have been logged out, bla bla bla")
-When i login again, i suddenly wear the white dress i used at the beginning.

I mean, its two competely different kinds of dresses. Even the alpha settings in my Lara HUD tells me, i never used the black dress... Its like that 30 minutes of SL lifetime never happened.

Anyone else slipped into that wormhole?

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo
  • Haha 1

It just means the system hasn't saved your "state" before the crash. I've had this happen where I am in-world for an hour, even TP through several places. Then crash - login and I am where I was, wearing what I was an hour and a half ago. When you logout the system saves your state and that's why you "startup where you left off" each time you login.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

I really had the impression, SL got more and more stable over the years. Seems, i was wrong.
Not to talk about the crash on TP issues and the silly workaround :)

It *IS* more stable, lots more. The cause of this may or may not even be at SL - who knows what causes it (only the Lindens would, I presume) - it could be something along the Internet path between you and the SL servers, it could be that were unlucky enough to log into a bad "node" (I'm totally shooting from the hip here, I'm not a technonerd LOL)

Just saying yes, this happens sometimes, but not nearly enough (for me, anyway) that it becomes an annoyance. If it is happening to you a lot then I would lean toward Internet connection and maybe latency or something. I know that the way networks work is your computer sends data, the other computer sends a confirmation number or something that it received that data, then your computer sends the next chunk of data, etc. If things go too slowly and your computer doesn't receive that confirmation it resends the same data again.

This all happens a bazillion times every nano-second or something LOL. The point being: (I suspect and believe) the SL servers are thinking you're not there, so they disconnect you. And if they disconnect you thinking you're not there, they won't attempt to save a snapshot of where you are and what you're doing when that happens. So you log in and the most recent snapshot of you on file is loaded up. And that happens to be the snapshot taken 30 minutes ago.

Or something, something. LOL

I know just enough to be DANGEROUS!!!

• Like 1

When getting dressed for the day, I make an outfit (though I have no intention of saving it even semi-permanently). Then I remove all and rewear the outfit. Thus saving the outfit so that even if I crash because I took it all off and rewore it, it got saved as though I had logged off. So now I rarely have that issue if I crash, which is rare in these days of oh-so-much-better-stability!

As a general precaution, when logging back in after any sort of crash, its a really good idea to reset your "Start at.." position to your home (or a pretty deserted place). That way, you avoid reappearing in front of everyone in various states of weirdness or even nudity! A nice quiet sim that's running well is a much better place to put things back together, too.

Unless, of course, you relish the risk. In which case, hey-ho! Have fun 😃

24 minutes ago, Odaks said:

As a general precaution, when logging back in after any sort of crash, its a really good idea to reset your "Start at.." position to your home (or a pretty deserted place). That way, you avoid reappearing in front of everyone in various states of weirdness or even nudity! A nice quiet sim that's running well is a much better place to put things back together, too.

Unless, of course, you relish the risk. In which case, hey-ho! Have fun 😃

That doesn't always work. I keep mine set at home. There were times when something went really wrong and even my home sim would be down so when I would log back in, regardless of my dressed state, it would automatically log me in at a "safe" hub, stark naked. No, it was not funny because with all the crap, it took forever for things to load well enough to be able to tp home. It was extremely embarrassing for me.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That doesn't always work. I keep mine set at home. There were times when something went really wrong and even my home sim would be down so when I would log back in, regardless of my dressed state, it would automatically log me in at a "safe" hub, stark naked. No, it was not funny because with all the crap, it took forever for things to load well enough to be able to tp home. It was extremely embarrassing for me.

When this happens to me, if I cannot tp home right away I start flying up .. and up .. and up .. until I can tp. It's not as much a being embarrassed to be naked thing but more of a I want out of this confusion thing .. and voices and people complaining .. omg .. let me out of here thing.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

it would automatically log me in at a "safe" hub, stark naked.

Oh dear! And being dumped on the heads of all the dozo avatars that are still on the Landing Point holds you in a nice elevated position so that everyone can see what a mess you're in!

A bit of crowd surfing to move away is something you don't often get the chance to do, though!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

When this happens to me, if I cannot tp home right away I start flying up .. and up .. and up .. until I can tp. It's not as much a being embarrassed to be naked thing but more of a I want out of this confusion thing .. and voices and people complaining .. omg .. let me out of here thing.

That, too.

I probably should have mentioned that this was back before mesh bodies existed.

4 hours ago, janetosilio said:

It’s even funnier when you recently changed skins or demoed a few.

Your face is one color, body another, hands and feet still another. Hairbase from this morning, hair you just put on before the crash....

good stuff....good stuff

Wait.. that look isn't intentional? BE ADVENTUROUS!

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I *was* going to say what Blush already did LOL

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Yus, yus, nods, nods. After a crash I have my itchy trigger finger hovering over the page-up key ready to mash it down hard and hold it for a good long time!

2 hours ago, Odaks said:

Sure! Its funny that the franks (and Willies, Todgers and Percys) always seem to survive the crash and rez ok, though?

Because PRIMS ARE FOREVAH!

2 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

The last time something similar happened to me it was so hilarious that I had to immortalise it on Flickr. It was weeks before Skell forgave me xD

Linking because of an f-bomb on the image

Oman, I am having big-time flashbacks!  Hahaha. That look is way too adorable! It's like those eye-magnets that you know must look away from, but CAN NOT.  :D

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

It's like those eye-magnets that you know must look away from, but CAN NOT.

You mean how you can't not look at that really bad car accident? I've heard that calling rubbernecking. And gawking.

And then! The gawker becomes the gawkee.

50 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You mean how you can't not look at that really bad car accident? I've heard that calling rubbernecking. And gawking.

And then! The gawker becomes the gawkee.

I mean exactly like that. BUT, I didn;t want to send the wrong message to Skell - I luv him, he's awesome and I didn't want to give the impression that his old avie looks like a car wreck LOL I think it's cute-looking! Okay, sorry @Skell Dagger if "cute" is not what you want to hear, but c'mon! It's *adorable*.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.