HarrisonMcKenzie

Sims that allow kids

Posted (edited)

There are very few roleplay opportunities for child avatars. I want get to the point and find out where kids can roleplay in genre RP sims.

Yes, there are any number of "community" sims. That's cool, but most of these seem to offer nothing in the way of roleplaying. And yes, there's family roleplay, but kids shouldn't be limited to just having parents and staying home all the time. I want to fight dragons, hack super computers, explore alien worlds, pretend to be a cowboy, try and survive in a zombie apocalypse, and more. I want to roleplay, and I fail to see any excuse for why kids are barred from so many sims.

So. Where can kids play? What non-ToS restrictions exist (we already know kids can't be around sex)? And most importantly, are there any special things for kids to do, or are they just left to pester adults?

There are a lot of kids around that aren't babies/toddlers and want to roleplay, but it's incredibly frustrating to keep getting stonewalled or finding sims that allow kids but don't allow them to do anything, be there without parents, or remain as a kid. If I wanted to play am adult, I would.

Edited by HarrisonMcKenzie
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

From actual experience... build a kid friendly, but not a family-style suburban RP and kids just don't come, under 200 traffic. Build a bog-standard dance beach and kids do come, to the point I can get over 10K traffic for events.

The few that do come to RP fully live in drama and fake-rumours and a desire to be officers and make all their own rules. A common fake-rumour being "Hey you know that xyz region, it's really a front for sex, don't go there".

I would so happily build a RP region fully for kids, but I know from bitter experience, it would be under 200 traffic after the first week as the kids all return to dancing and being boring. So, why bother?

Edited by Shudo

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Yes, there are any number of "community" sims. That's cool, but most of these seem to offer nothing in the way of roleplaying. And yes, there's family roleplay, but kids shouldn't be limited to just having parents and staying home all the time. I want to fight dragons, hack super computers, explore alien worlds, pretend to be a cowboy, try and survive in a zombie apocalypse, and more. I want to roleplay, and I fail to see any excuse for why kids are barred from so many sims.

Huh...

Unless a region or location specifically states "No child avatars allowed" (or facsimile thereof) then child avatars are usually allowed. I "sim-hop" all the time. I see a LOT of role play locales that not only do not "bar child avatars" but some that actually invite them. A few medieval genres and few Wild West genres, I'm not going to make some list because you're fun belongs to you and it's not going to walk up and bite you the derriere.

Do you want fun? Then go find it. It's there and it's not even hiding from you.

So quicherbichen and support yourself.

(And I can say that because I've role-played an SL kid since before you ever heard of Second Life.)

Edited by Alyona Su

On 4/5/2019 at 9:23 AM, Alyona Su said:

Huh...

Unless a region or location specifically states "No child avatars allowed" (or facsimile thereof)...

Which a great majority of roleplay sims do. The vast majority outright ban kids or make it impossible to roleplay there as one. Yes, there are some medieval fantasy sims, but that's it; some.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry, but I don't know of any current role play sims that match your criteria. I wish I did. Perhaps the only way to get what you want is to create your dream yourself. And no I don't mean that in any negative way.

Speaking from experience, the only time I was every truly satisfied in RP sims was when I made them myself. I couldn't be stonewalled save for LL ToS and of course moral and ethical laws, and the usual laws that govern our countries. But maybe if you can't devote your entire pay check or entire days to running an entire sim, start small? Create a group and try rallying likeminded individuals to your cause. Start with a parcel perhaps; build a few things, and take it from there. It might not be ideal, but it's better than nothing?

As for the why kids are blocked from entering a lot of sims, again I can only speak from my experience. When I ran sims, child avatars weren't allowed primarily to attract numbers to the sim. Adult RP was/is popular, including themes that child avatars should not be exposed to. It was to both cover my own backside as it was to pander to the proverbial masses. But once upon a time I used to RP as a mother of a child avatar. That didn't happen on a RP sim, but in a gated community. Again, not ideal for your requirements, but it was the only time I remember being able to see kids do anything with any degree of freedom.

Anyway, I hope you find what it you are searching for. Best of luck. :)

• Like 1

@HarrisonMcKenzie

I've played a child avatar for years and kid RP sims are very hard to find. At the moment, however, I'm on this one called Emory Haven which is sort of a modern-day fantasy RP. It's a community, people can RP in the community or just live there, but it also has a Discord server where we get a lot of RP in as well. Kids are absolutely allowed as long as all guidelines for SL are followed (Obviously!). It's pretty fun, I have a teenaged witch and a little girl werewolf on there right now. You should check it out!

https://emoryhaven.weebly.com/

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 9:23 AM, Alyona Su said:

(And I can say that because I've role-played an SL kid since before you ever heard of Second Life.)

Get off my lawn!

A kid-friendly REGION with witches, goths etc. sounds fun, so long as the goths aren’t vampires.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Get off my lawn!

A kid-friendly REGION with witches, goths etc. sounds fun, so long as the goths aren’t vampires.

I have a mesh head for my SL kid Avie that is a vampire. :) (Though I haven't been role-play an SL-kid for some time now.)

EDIT to add: And to show you I'm forealz:

_Bad_Seed__Bebe_Vampire_Mesh_Head_AD.jpg

:)

I agree it is sad. Is why I posted the picture and not the link. But I've packed all the stuff away into my CTS Archive. So not even in inventory anymore.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dakota Linden said:

Greetings!

This thread has been cleaned up and all Off Topic posts have been removed. 

Please ensure that all posts that you make comply with the Forum Participation Guidelines, located here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

@Dakota Linden

Excuse me. My post was not off topic. I gave the OP the name of someone (Dakota TEBALDI) who RPs as a child/teen to contact to help them find RP sims regions. My post was deleted. Why?

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 11:00 PM, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

There are very few roleplay opportunities for child avatars. I want get to the point and find out where kids can roleplay in genre RP sims.

So. Where can kids play? What non-ToS restrictions exist (we already know kids can't be around sex)? And most importantly, are there any special things for kids to do, or are they just left to pester adults?

There are a lot of kids around that aren't babies/toddlers and want to roleplay, but it's incredibly frustrating to keep getting stonewalled or finding sims that allow kids but don't allow them to do anything, be there without parents, or remain as a kid. If I wanted to play am adult, I would.

As I've said before, there are many role play sims that allow SL kids, though the onus is on you to find them. I've just found a new one and in reading the rules, they also mention this:

Also, while we accept child characters, all players should be adults behind the screen. 

https://emoryhaven.weebly.com/rules--etiquette.html

Now go find the others. 

@HarrisonMcKenzie - I found another, if you want to try Wild Western Pioneer role-play: Amiville Colorado regions allows SL Kids and immediately to the west of that is a large continent of Wild Western Pioneer role-play regions, albeit most of those allow SL kids, some do not, but there is a notice board at every region-crossing that will explain it.

http://secondlife.com/destination/amiville-colorado

Try a family rp sim like Acacia Falls. I am the principal of the school there, which has just opened for student enrollment :)

On 4/16/2019 at 5:14 AM, OphieMarx said:

Try a family rp sim like Acacia Falls. I am the principal of the school there, which has just opened for student enrollment :)

Thanks. I do like normal modern roleplay, but I am also interested in genre roleplay (fantasy, horror, sci-fi, etc).

New dawn city :) buckland military region once built will allow child avatars, check it up on the forums here 

• Like 1

I am still trying to figure out what its all about but something called like Richmond Summer Camp, seems fantasy and its for kids. I have no clue when it starts but thats always something, its not so much an RP sim but its like an RP event for kids from little to I think right before 18 in SL. 

On 5/8/2019 at 3:34 PM, RedWrath said:

I am still trying to figure out what its all about but something called like Richmond Summer Camp, seems fantasy and its for kids. I have no clue when it starts but thats always something, its not so much an RP sim but its like an RP event for kids from little to I think right before 18 in SL. 

I've been there before. It's a neat idea and I commend anyone who puts that kind of work into letting other people be happy. That being said though, it was tough. It's mostly the toddler crowd, and the camp I was at had basically no actual roleplaying other than window dressing. It's also hard to get into the camps and hard to participate if you aren't in the Americas. If it works for some, great. It just really didn't for me (timing and not enough meaningful roleplay).

Edited by HarrisonMcKenzie