Sign in to follow this  
Venus Petrov

So I have this friend....

He says that he's had enough with SL as a human avie.  "ENOUGH!", he says.  I mean, he has only been in SL for about 18 months and still refers to himself as a newbie sometimes (which irks the crap outta me, but that is another topic).  He was out at the pub the other night, a new place on a furry sim.  Well, he'd had a 'few' both in SL and RL so I think his judgement was impaired but, anyway, the next day he IMs me to tell me that he has decided to go 'furry'!

/me coughs

WHAT!?  I mean, isn't this something you decide to do early on in your SL experience?  He met a furry who agreed to take him to buy all he needs to become 'one with furrydom', including his privates.  He is trying to decide between a wolf of some sort and a fox.  I know this guy really well and I cannot for the LIFE of me see him as either a WOLF or a FOX!

Am I overreacting?  I think NOT! 

He even suggested that *I* might want to explore my 'furry side'!  WHAT THE F***??   I do not think that I *have* a furry side but he tells me everyone does.

Do you?  And, you?  What about you in the corner lurking? 

I spent a week in a freebie 'wolf' av because it reminded me of a skunk and that amused me. If I have a furry side, it appears to be well and truly repressed.

There is something wrong with your Wolf-Friend with the way his eyes looking at his paw while he's licking it... Are you sure he's not day dreaming of licking a cat? :matte-motes-evil-invert:

@Wildcat, you suggest that my friend wants to be someone's PET?!  He's never mentioned wanting to become a sub.  Could this be his approach?  Get all furry-like and then find a mistress?? 

I think that I am getting a headache....

Or, perhaps chewing on a cat? 

I *have* cats for RL pets and I could not stand it if he wanted to EAT some!!!

Are there vegetarian furries out there?

@Storm, you mean, like a doctor? For what?  I do not see a doctor in SL.  Why would he?

I was clear in my post that my friend is a 'he'...are you trying to confuse me?

No..no..no.  He never talked about being a furry before his drunken conversation with the furry in the furry pub.  However, I will grant him that he has talked about it since and he was sober, so....

I could borrow your furry friend?  The one licking his paw like it was my cat to eat??

Oh Wildcat, you really did not mean that, did you?

I don`t think I have a furry side either. I have been a variety of animals as Tinies and a  Micro cat, but just for tiny pointless fun, I couldn`t be like that all the time. I`m mostly a Neko, but always cute. 54.gif

Venus,

I think this is kind of funny  (not laughing at you, by any means),  but ...   I think I am like your friend and my other friends would react like you are.

^^ that made no sense.

So let me just answer your questions.

I do not think you decide what to be when you first come to SL,  because you may not be aware of what your choices are.

I also think people are human at first,  but then get curious about other choices in SL,  because it looks fun or interesting.

If you don't want to try "furry",  it should not hinder your friendship with this guy.  Right?  I mean,  you can be friends with a furry. 

I have tried a few different avatars for the heck of it.  One of them is a cute little monkey.  My friends laugh at me,  and pretend they do not know me when I put it on.

I don't leave it on for long,  because I can't dance in it and there isn't much to do in it ...  I like clothes, and accessories!  lol ... but I can see your friend's curiousity with alternate avatars.

I would like to be a bird!  :-P

Wildcat Furse wrote:

one of my best friends in SL is a WOLF ..... he is great fun and we adopted him as our family pet :smileyvery-happy: *meows*

WILDCATWOLFFRIEND.jpg

Very nice !   I would not mind trying Wolf ...     when I was a kid,  I always pretended to be a white tiger .. so that would be a fun option as well. 

@Cali,  I am trying to maintain my composure over this turn of events.  Sure, he may just be experimenting and that is fine..we all do some of that in SL and where else can you be a fox?  I know a furry or two and it is no big deal (for any of us).  I guess I have just not known someone who was so HUMAN in both his identity and in our friendship take on another 'aspect' (if I may use that term).

Admittedly, it will be me who needs to deal with it, and I will.  I guess the other thing that caused me pause was his suggestion that I try it, too.  I mean, what would I be 'trying'??

I do not have a furry side.

I've always been a little jealous that most Furries and Tiny Avatars seem to know what they want to be. I would agree that 18 months is a long time for one to discover his or her Furdom. I would support a friends fervor for furness.

Bitsy Buccaneer wrote:

I spent a week in a freebie 'wolf' av because it reminded me of a skunk and that amused me. If I have a furry side, it appears to be well and truly repressed.

My boyfriend, well he was at the time, went through a furry stage and I tried getting into it with him. I bought this really cute little skunk avatar, which was kinda fun. But it didn't seem right, so I bought a zebra (I even went as far as to buy a zebra sound off the net and make myself a gesture, since I couldn't find one inworld). It was a little better but I still couldn't get used to it, guess my furry side is as repressed as yours.

Maybe I'll pull them out again and see how I feel about it now, you never know. I've been known to change the way I feel about things from time to time.

...Dres

Edited because I and a are not interchangeable, as much as my still asleep mind wants them to be... I need coffee.

@Dres, you are way ahead of me if you have actually 'tasted' the fur, so to speak.  I have been in SL over four years and have never been anything but human (with the odd one-off demon costume for a contest).  I have never even been a furry for a contest!

I like to think that I have an open mind about these things.  Of course, I will support my friend with whatever he chooses to do or be and, who knows, if he goes on and on about how wonderful it is, I might sample it...a bit...maybe....humm.../me shrugs

It just does not seem 'me'.  But, then again, until his furry pub escapade, it did not seem like 'him', either.  Well, it still does not.