April Theme: Arch-Villains & Superheroes

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1830 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the magazine; Redwing - former villain turned hero, patrolling the city skies.

1871881316_redwing01a.thumb.png.50c6b296f0f0d83b5dc2fd957454e5d2.png

The black background one I'm not so keen on so I'd prefer only the above be used for the magazine, and the below for a composite, if one is done this month.

569630748_redwing2a.thumb.png.8e2925a79e8610d7dde3ac527f56f320.png

I have some slightly higher-res ones on my flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattyluminos/ at 1600 x 1200.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 17

4 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

For the magazine; Redwing - former villain turned hero, patrolling the city skies.

1871881316_redwing01a.thumb.png.50c6b296f0f0d83b5dc2fd957454e5d2.png

The black background one I'm not so keen on so I'd prefer only the above be used for the magazine, and the below for a composite, if one is done this month.

569630748_redwing2a.thumb.png.8e2925a79e8610d7dde3ac527f56f320.png

I have some slightly higher-res ones on my flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattyluminos/ at 1600 x 1200.

I love this, Matty!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I knew that actually BEING a Supervillain would have its perks, but I Didn't think one of them would be the chance at being in a Magazine! 

Here is the ComputerKing. (Being less than 2 weeks into SL, I hope it's a good attempt. BTW, *XO* Sith Lord outfit, B3nto Cyber arms, Neurolabs Cybereyes and Neurolabs Nano Drone Pet.)

SecondLife_009.png

Edited by TheComputerKing
Forgot a detail
  • Like 12

49 minutes ago, TheComputerKing said:

Well, I knew that actually BEING a Supervillain would have its perks, but I Didn't think one of them would be the chance at being in a Magazine! 

Here is the ComputerKing. (Being less than 2 weeks into SL, I hope it's a good attempt. BTW, *XO* Sith Lord outfit, B3nto Cyber arms, Neurolabs Cybereyes and Neurolabs Nano Drone Pet.)

SecondLife_009.png

Great start!

1 hour ago, TheComputerKing said:

Here's a couple of (Subjectively) better pics.

SecondLife_011.png

Great job, these two are definitely better, this one is my favourite. Simple but effective background and you can see the details in the avatar much better. Welcome to SL!

• Like 2

Awh guys, instead of being uncreative and just taking established superheroes, why not come up with some original SL ones? The Natuilus Sharkman, Steampunk Herald, Twisted Cubist? The choices are so endless since SL is such a vast and creative world. :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Donna Underall said:

Is there a studio where we can get the black background images done?

All I do is go to a sandbox and rez 2 big prims, one vertical and one flat on the floor. Stretch them big enough to fill my screen and colour them black.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

Awh guys, instead of being uncreative and just taking established superheroes, why not come up with some original SL ones? The Natuilus Sharkman, Steampunk Herald, Twisted Cubist? The choices are so endless since SL is such a vast and creative world. :(

This right here is why I'm sometimes reluctant to post pictures.  I am not the creative imaginative type at all.  My brain just doesn't seem to work that way. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This right here is why I'm sometimes reluctant to post pictures.  I am not the creative imaginative type at all.  My brain just doesn't seem to work that way. 

A blank canvas is like an unpredictable portal; it can take you to wonderful realms of creativity - or despair, as one sits there brush in hand, and nothing comes out of it.

It's kind of what I like about this setup though. If you sit down with the goal to write a short story, you may well end up writing nothing as you try to come up with something original and find the task becomes too daunting. But, if you instead pick a theme, and instead of trying to be serious about it, just go with the flow, you can produce something that can bring laughter or tears. We used to do it as a warm-up practice in school, and if I'm bored out of my skull I'll occasionally pick someone at random who's online in my contact lists and demand they give me 'five random objects and a genre'. And a few minutes later I'll send them a notecard with whatever I came up with.

I feel as if photography is similar to that. If I tell myself that 'I have to do a picture today', but no concept to work on, I can spend hours trying on demos from the marketplace until I get too frustrated and go watch a movie or something instead.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

I look forward to seeing your entry for this theme :)

Sure. Here it goes, I do not have the time to make a proper entry but there you have it:

EBjBRF7.png

Name: Sansara Sally
Lair: Snowlands subcontinent of Sansara
Superpowers: - Delicious baked goods
- Senses the moment someone gets precariously close to stepping on her pristine lawn. Will either strike them down with her wicked tongue or invited them in for cookies
- Rumored to be a witch (both the magical and evil godmother kind)

Anyway, Skell, I know what you are doing and I am quite surprised you went there. We both know disappointment can be stated without participation.
On that note, I dislike how Angela Merkel runs my country, yet, are you looking forward to seeing me in her position? That'll unfortunately not happen. That woman holds onto her high chair for dear life.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm such a big baddy aren't I? Perhaps I should scrap Sansara Sally and just post a normal picture of my avatar then and have it be the be all and end all for all SL supervillains?

For anyone who needs a backdrop, I've just quickly whipped up a batch of them (both fullbright and unlit) in four shades from white to black, and put them out for free at the back of the Hangout:

cartel_photobooths.jpg.e44688c0d0bdbf36c718ad984c1dbdb4.jpg

Each one is 3LI, 10m x 10m, and copy/mod.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

9 hours ago, Donna Underall said:

Is there a studio where we can get the black background images done?

Backdrop city has a section that's just black screen.

22 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

The choices are endless and that can be a problem for some. Too many choices can be just as bad as not enough. I ,personally, liked the option to do my own take of an arch-villainess that was already established and that I liked.   I loved your granny character. 

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm not the most creative person either, and these parameters give me a topic and then I can choose from there. I do better when  I'm given a topic, than I am without one. As much as I would love to do pictures as creative as Clover,Orwar, or countless others,that's just beyond me. I just stand around and look pretty . lol

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

53 minutes ago, Catrie said:

I'm not the most creative person either, and these parameters give me a topic and then I can choose from there. I do better when  I'm given a topic, than I am without one. As much as I would love to do pictures as creative as Clover,Orwar, or countless others,that's just beyond me. I just stand around and look pretty . lol

Oh pish posh. You're both very creative, in your different ways.

There is no more a single way to express "creativity" than there is a single kind of intelligence.

Catrie, I've seen your pics: they are very creative in all sorts of ways. Lil, everything you do and say on this forum and in-world is an expression of your own creativity -- and, I might add, intelligence.

People who are truly uncreative -- literal minded, unable to imagine new possibilities, new selves -- don't last long in SL. The very fact that you're in-world, and engaging with us all here on the forums in your own lively ways, is testament to your creativity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

Or . . . we could express our creativity through the way in which we compose and contextualize our photos of known superheroes and villains.

Van Gogh didn't need to invent a new kind of flower to paint a creative masterpiece.

Van Gogh Sunflowers.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Or . . . we could express our creativity through the way in which we compose and contextualize our photos of known superheroes and villains.

Van Gogh didn't need to invent a new kind of flower to paint a creative masterpiece.

Van Gogh Sunflowers.jpg

Apples and oranges.

It's astounding how badly my post of disappointment was taken, it's like I insulted everyone -and- their mother while the actual point of my post was thoroughly overlooked. Second Life is what some of us have called home for nearly or more than a decade now, and even those forumites who have only been on SL for a year realize just how epically huge Second Life really is. Bearing that in mind, the topic of the photoshoot is from forumites for forumites....and what do all forumites have in common? Second Life!

Ergo, it would make much more sense and it would be SO much more fun if we could bring heroes and villains to life that are just for SL. Who knows, maybe in another decade some of them will still be remembered. Perhaps for Halloween there could be a monster photoshoot thingy, where we got Molerats, undead 7seas fishers and Gacha machines of doom that will grab your hand as you try to put Linden into it and they EAT YOU.

All I'm saying is, this entire thing is a HUGE missed opportunity to give SL some lore and personalities unique to SL that have nothing to do with the sales end of things.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1830 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.