Forum monthly theme-shoots w. virtual magazine compilation

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm totally on-board with a jokey or punny title, and there have been some good suggestions. I kind of like "Vague," although I'm not sure why we are "vague" . . .

But an alternative might be to go with something straight-up, simple, and elegant. I have two thoughts:

• SL Forum Style

• The Forumite

Of the two, I much prefer the second: it's a bit like "New Yorker," no?

But again, I'm good with clever, witty, and funny too!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, animats said:

"Virtual monthly magazine" for fashion, right?

Nope - at least not as I understand it. Monthly theme could be anything... cars, planes, "your favourite unique item"... it isnt settled what it is about yet

Edited by Fionalein

1 hour ago, animats said:

"Virtual monthly magazine" for fashion, right?

Is Runway even a thing anymore?

The proposed "magazine" here isn't really "about" Fashion, with a capital "F." It won't have ads, or stories about designers or new technical affordances (like BoM). It's not going to provide insights into the big picture of the changing world of SL fashion, except incidentally.

What it will do is showcase the individual style of the contributing forumites for, well, no particular reason at all other than that it will be fun to do so. Most of us are not creators, designers, stylists, or models, except in an amateur kind of way (although we do have some bloggers).

Each issue will be themed -- so, the first issue will have everyone in a variety of bunny outfits. (Yes, seriously.) Not really the stuff of "Vogue," and actually very unlike Runway, which was modeled on Vogue and publications like it. In some ways, it will be more like a vanity calendar.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

So.....VanCal?........🤔

That makes me think of a Dutch last name. Forumite van Calendar. Although technically I suppose Calendar van Forumite would make more sense (calendar of/from forumite(s)).

14 hours ago, Odaks said:

How about "Photo 4-Room"?

Ph-O2 4-um? I don't know, I'm terrible with phonetic numericals.

7 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Nope - at least not as I understand it. Monthly theme could be anything... cars, planes, "your favourite unique item"... it isnt settled what it is about yet

Pretty much, although vehicles and objects such as furniture or landscape objects might be difficult, as the format is more made with avatar vanity in mind; dressing up as an aeroplane or a wishing well may get a bit prohibitive. Fashion is an important part of it, but it's not made with the purpose to advertise any specific creators - but rather for each participant to interpret the theme and create an outfit of their own choice. The magazine is just a compilation of it, a fun thing; but ultimately, in my mind, the purpose is to give people an opportunity for fun and photography practice. The subject of each picture should be us, the forumites.

14 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm totally on-board with a jokey or punny title, and there have been some good suggestions. I kind of like "Vague," although I'm not sure why we are "vague" . . .

But an alternative might be to go with something straight-up, simple, and elegant. I have two thoughts:

• SL Forum Style

• The Forumite

Of the two, I much prefer the second: it's a bit like "New Yorker," no?

But again, I'm good with clever, witty, and funny too!

I think that the difficult thing with finding a striking one-word name is that there already are so many magazines that have done so, that most 'relevant' words have been taken. When I named my periodical that I ran a few years back, I spent a lot of time researching and thinking, and in the end I just went with 'The Chronicle' - despite there being several real life magazines of past and present with that name, as well as a whole lot more that used the word 'chronicle' as a suffix to an area or a topic. The Forumite does feel unique enough as, well, there aren't a whole lot of periodicals based off of forum communities, as far as I know at least.

Then again, how 'serious' do we want to appear, and how seriously do we take the project? I see it all as fun and games, so I'm up for either a more conservative method of naming the magazine, or finding a witty pun or caricature. 'Vague' for example, would be an obvious satire of Vogue; and that we make a satire of a well established magazine's name doesn't mean that we then have to strictly copy their content in comedic fashion - perhaps that's what's vague, after all; you get one magazine full of bunnies, one of superheroes and villains, there's no way of preparing yourself for what you'll see next!

• Like 2

Another format is abbreviation, we've gotten some suggestions like those already like 'YAM'. This, too, can be taken either as a pun or as something that creates an abbreviation that's unique - for example, Uppsala Nya Tidning (Uppsala New (News)Periodical) that is the local news magazine of Uppland, is abbreviated as UNT. 'Unt' doesn't mean anything in Swedish, but the magazine is so well established by now that people from all over Sweden know that UNT is the local paper in Uppland (having ran from 1890 and having roots back in the 1700's, as the censure laws at the time allowed the government to close a newspaper - but couldn't prohibit the company to create a new one; thus they just kept putting in 'new', going from 'Uppsala Tidning' to 'Uppsala Nya Tidning' to 'Uppsala Nya Nya Tidning' and so forth until the government gave up, at which point they removed all but one 'new' as the title was getting ridiculous).

So whilst we could come up with puns, we could likewise just go with an abbreviation that's unique and covers everything in its meaning. Like. Forumites Photography Fun - FPF. (Not an actual submission, just an example!).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sagadin said:

Forumite

I think that's a good'un.

It might even be good enough to avoid us Brits from having a Meaningful Vote to decide what the next Meaningful Vote will be!

Vote: Aye 👍

• Haha 3

So i spent some time and thought of what it is we're doing. We're creating a different theme for each issue therefor i took the word theme and went with that. Between my thoughts and some google help i came up with the following list of catchy titles:    (I could have added so many more but then the choices start to get overwhelming)

Don't Forget your Theme 

Oh La La, Theme

Theme, What Else?

Pure Theme!

Next Stop, Theme

Think Theme

The View on Theme

The Ideal Theme

The Theme Community

(We could add the word magazine to any of these at the end, somewhere in the middle, or not at all. In some cases it sounds okay, in some cases not)

Anyway...there's my two (or nine) cents!

• Like 2

I like "The Forumite".

Other possibilities: 
   Forum Fashion / Forumite Fashion
   Forum Vanity / Forumite Vanity
   Forum Style
   Fashion de Forumite
   Forum Divas

Can you tell that I do like the idea of the title referring back to the Forum in some way.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

here are some names that I came up with:

Forum  Furor/ Forumite Furor

Forum Lookbook / Forumite Lookbook

Faces of the Forums

Forum Mode / Forumite Mode

Edited by Catrie
  • Like 2

A few more I came up with during my coffee injections at the start of the day

Forum Avatara (Since the magazine will be pics of forum avatars, Forum being latin, I thought adding the latin for avatar sounds really smart...)

Fabulous Forumites

Awesome Avatars (AA is quite suitable for us forum addicts too)

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

A few more I came up with during my coffee injections at the start of the day

Forum Avatara (Since the magazine will be pics of forum avatars, Forum being latin, I thought adding the latin for avatar sounds really smart...)

Fabulous Forumites

Awesome Avatars (AA is quite suitable for us forum addicts too)

I like the idea of using Latin, but so far all the suggestions are based on FORUM. I say NOOOOO. If these are be monthly THEMES then why not call it "Avatar Topics":

Topicus Avatara 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

I liked the Forum in the Latin choice because it reminds me of the Forum Romanum, from where the really smart people ruled over the civilized world. Just like we do from our forums over the less civilized SL world...

Hm, that's not quite the way I remember it, but it's been a long time since I read about it. The way I remember it, there were indeed important political and religious buildings connected to the forum, but the forum itself, and why we call virtual forums 'forums' (as well as 'a place to speak' in everyday English - and Swedish!) was that anyone was allowed to speak at the Forum Romanum, but that only the senators had access to the Curia (senate's official place of meeting). Aaand I'd argue that 'really smart' should really be 'really wealthy', as, well, whilst sort of democratic, the senators elections were often filled with bribery and spectacles to draw attention. Hm, a lot like American politics today, really.

And if we're to be picky, the title would be: FORVM ROMANVM. The letter U was absent in the ancient Latin alphabet, as were J and W. Which led to some very fun shenanigans when the protestants wanted to write the bible in German with German grammar. After all, a fairly important character of the New Testament has both the letter J and U in his name, the way it's pronounced in German and English, as well as most modern Romance languages these days. Some Dutch printers in the late 1500's were even charged with blasphemy for their choice of spelling, had their bibles confiscated and received harsh fines - it wasn't until King James' Bible of 1611, protected by the Church of England, that the spelling was acceptable.

... Uh. But yeah, I like it in Latin.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

And if we're to be picky, the title would be: FORVM ROMANVM. The letter U was absent in the ancient Latin alphabet, as were J and W. Which led to some very fun shenanigans when the protestants wanted to write the bible in German with German grammar. After all, a fairly important character of the New Testament has both the letter J and U in his name, the way it's pronounced in German and English, as well as most modern Romance languages these days. Some Dutch printers in the late 1500's were even charged with blasphemy for their choice of spelling, had their bibles confiscated and received harsh fines - it wasn't until King James' Bible of 1611, protected by the Church of England, that the spelling was acceptable.

OMG.

Such. A. Pedant.

(Sorry. SVCHAPEDANT. Romans didn't use punctuation, and only seldom used word spacing.)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OMG.

Such. A. Pedant.

(Sorry. SVCHAPEDANT. Romans didn't use punctuation, and only seldom used word spacing.)

Yeah, let's not get into scriptio continua - it's a mess. A pretty mess, but it doesn't lend itself well to actually being read. Besides, I like punctuation!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

Yeah, let's not get into scriptio continua - it's a mess. A pretty mess, but it doesn't lend itself well to actually being read. Besides, I like punctuation!

And here I thought I could provoke you into proposing the use of Latin cursive.

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And here I thought I could provoke you into proposing the use of Latin cursive.

I'm not sure people will be able to read that...

... At that point we might as well use a nice, spiky textura. ... Oh, I do like the idea of that. I do have a nice Fraktur, but unfortunately, between long and short s's, they went with only long s, so you can't use the regular one instead unless you go into the extra glyph functions, which is pretty 'meh' when you're writing a continuous text.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.