Forum monthly theme-shoots w. virtual magazine compilation

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

38 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

There is a huge PC-Political aspect behind the gender-fluidity word choices. I find it highly annoying.

God forbid that we actually try to be thoughtful and sensitive toward how people want to be addressed. Ma'am.

I find it near-fascist to try and tell people how to speak and say things...

Did you just liken me to a fascist? Oh look: you did! Please show me where I - fascistically - told people how they should say things. By suggesting that a feminine 'dress' theme might mean that traditionally (would you prefer I said 'correctly' there?) masculine men wouldn't want to participate in a dress themed event?

Common sense tells a person that a sundress theme is. If a male wants to do a masculine version of that I hope they are intelligent enough to figure out it doesn't mean they have to wear a dress. Geeeez. We don't need all these rules.

Fabulous! I look forward to dressing as a lumberjack for our next 'wood nymphette' themed event!

I also look forward to your many photographic contributions to this endeavour, as you have been enthusiastically active in textual contributions thus far, and so no doubt you'll be taking part in the various themed shoots, too.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Catrie said:

It is really adorable to see him go on about a new font he found or different ink he got.  

IKR? I have a close friend who completely geeked out about a downloadable font set of 17th-century Garamond type, WITH A COMPLETE SET OF LIGATURES!!!! (*gasp*)

It is pretty adorable. And it's nice to know that they're so easily amused and/or distracted, no?

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

IKR? I have a close friend who completely geeked out about a downloadable font set of 17th-century Garamond type, WITH A COMPLETE SET OF LIGATURES!!!! (*gasp*)

It is pretty adorable. And it's nice to know that they're so easily amused and/or distracted, no? 

OMG!!  those times are soooo darn adorkable!! He can also tell around the time period of a specific text, by the type of font they used. I've actually learned a lot of history from his little lectures.  He also answers all my questions about the topic.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Catrie said:

OMG!!  those times are soooo darn adorkable!! He can also tell around the time period of a specific text, by the type of font they used. I've actually learned a lot of history from his little lectures.  He also answers all my questions about the topic.

I'm delighted to hear that he has . . . uses!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, some people collect stamps, others collect Barbie Dolls. I have the *entire* Hoefler Text font with all alternates and ligatures from the original Foundry.  It was a (very, VERY expensive) birthday gift that I appreciated more than all the other stuff. I hope that dopesn;t make me a font-nerd (I'm no Calligrapher). Though I find a beautifully-crafted, well kerned and leaded page of nothing but words and zero image or illustration a work of art to behold even before the reading begins.

And for fun trivia: Scientists have found the one font that uses the absolute least ink (or toner) is plain Palatino. Go figure. LOL

@Skell Dagger - Please let your Lumberjack know that my Dryad is a living, breathing thing and to not say hello with an ax. :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

There is a huge PC-Political aspect behind the gender-fluidity word choices. I find it highly annoying. I find it near-fascist to try and tell people how to speak and say things...  But, disregard of people's feelings in how they are addressed also enters the realm of fascist-shoulds. Somewhere there is a balance where people tolerate others and mature past a snowflake mentality.

Common sense tells a person that a sundress theme is. If a male wants to do a masculine version of that I hope they are intelligent enough to figure out it doesn't mean they have to wear a dress. Geeeez. We don't need all these rules.

Where on earth is there "gender-fluidity" language in Skell's post? What he's suggesting isn't even about language: it's about ensuring that a theme is broad enough to be inclusive of cis-gendered men who aren't interested in drag. I completely fail to see anything even remotely "PC" about trying to include men in an event.

And as for "rules" . . . what I've seen are some guidelines, designed to ensure that the work of the editor is a little less onerous than it might otherwise be.

26 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

God forbid that we actually try to be thoughtful and sensitive toward how people want to be addressed.

This, completely. Why is this even controversial?

It is your God-given right to be rude, uncaring, and insensitive, of course: no one actually wants to take that away from you.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

IKR? I have a close friend who completely geeked out about a downloadable font set of 17th-century Garamond type, WITH A COMPLETE SET OF LIGATURES!!!!

What? Where?! How? Give me!

Seriously, most fonts are severely lacking in ligatures - you can't live on ampersand alone. Also, I consider any set incomplete if it doesn't also include Eth, Thorn (majuscule and miniscule!) double-S and long S. Luckily, Georgia which is as close to Garamond available to us through the forums, does seem to have most of them.

þ ß & ð!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, it does.

But that's ok. We're all very liberal here.

image.png.300b7016e7ccfc57e2246208d8fb26cc.png

I may have neglected my 'should do's' in favour of some... Stuff... Earlier today.

• Haha 4

Just now, Orwar said:

image.png.300b7016e7ccfc57e2246208d8fb26cc.png

I may have neglected my 'should do's' in favour of some... Stuff... Earlier today.

The first step in any recovery is recognizing you have a problem.

You're a very, very long way away from recovering, aren't you?

PS. For a course I once did, I spent two weeks trying to learn how to write in Secretary.

Closest I've ever come to actually killing a professor.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

My editing process is almost entirely layering raw shots. I can remove/reduce most alpha overlap glitches by combining two layers with a different form of DoF applied (Black Dragon feature). I can add vibrancy to the colours or make the shadows darker simply by layering a different windlight (with the same sun angle) onto a base shot. The end result is something that's incredibly faithful to the raw SL shot, yet impossible to recreate without editing tools.

Layering different windlights is just genius. I can't wait to try that out.

On backgrounds: I would like it very much if both options were available and neither was mandatory. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

On backgrounds: I would like it very much if both options were available and neither was mandatory. 

I’m thinking it’s a good idea to mix it up. Maybe some issues with the black background and some not, depending on the theme each month and the editors preference for that theme. 

• Like 1

It's beginning to look like questions and answers in the photothreads so I will try to behave and post more here.

For those who need a free black background: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/StrawberrySinghcom-Simple-Photo-Studio/5745423

Click on the background and you get up several color options, including black. The background is a bit small for me, I change the size in the edit window to 5 x 5 x 5 meters. Gives me more room to use the camera.

The pose stand is very simple to use. Drag and drop poses in it, and then touch to activate it. View the video in the ad if you haven't used a posestand before.

It is lots and lots of free and very cheap poses on the marketplace. Just go into animations and then Posing animations.

@Orwarhad much good information here on how to-do your own, but it's possible to get this one all ready for use.

He also told how he makes his own light. I like projected light too. It is one of these things that sound intimidating but it is really not.

I have uploaded some textures myself, stripes - to make blinds.

• Like 1

Yes, unfortunately it's still sort of spread out over all three threads, and if I'm to do a Q&A with as extensive answers as those I posted there, I'm going to need a bigger boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Yes, unfortunately it's still sort of spread out over all three threads, and if I'm to do a Q&A with as extensive answers as those I posted there, I'm going to need a bigger boat.

I propose to combine all answered questions and suggestion to one doc and paste a link to that doc in the first post of every new monthly theme thread. This way you can always add more information or answer more questions in that document without editing the same post in all threads or trying to find out in which thread you answered

• Like 1

I can't be bothered to read through 5 pages of back and forth instructions etc. etc. etc. My time is limited for SL for a mere couple of hours if lucky weekdays to when I get home at night, once I'm done dealing w/dinner and before I pass out for the night to start it all over again at 5:15am the next day :P  

SO What is the due date for this months photo pretty please and I'll have it ready as needed. Or not 😛

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

I can't be bothered to read through 5 pages of back and forth instructions etc. etc. etc. My time is limited for SL for a mere couple of hours if lucky weekdays to when I get home at night, once I'm done dealing w/dinner and before I pass out for the night to start it all over again at 5:15am the next day :P  

SO What is the due date for this months photo pretty please and I'll have it ready as needed. Or not 😛

April 20th for both the Bunnies and the Superheroes/Villains!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Fabulous! I look forward to dressing as a lumberjack for our next 'wood nymphette' themed event!

Does this mean I can't dress as a lumberjack that event? 😛

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

He also told how he makes his own light. I like projected light too. It is one of these things that sound intimidating but it is really not. 

I have no idea how to make projected light, so I just bought the one that he made. lol I'm lazy like that, though.

Edited by Catrie
  • Like 1

So, here's a compilation of the questions from across the threads - I've gone over them to make sure that each answer is as up to date and descriptive as possible.

Things yet to be decided on ...

• Q: What shall we call the magazine?
    A: So far, the only suggestion has been 'JAM' (or was it 'YAM'? - suggested by @Fionalein). It's still open though, and I'd love to hear a few more voices before we decide.
  • Q: How do we go about voting for a theme?
    A: There's been a few suggestions, ranging from creating a new thread with one post per suggestion and then choosing whichever has the most 'likes' at the end of the poll, or using Google documents. I also suggested an in-world mail box, but I'm uncertain of how well that would work out.

- The forum option would require someone (probably me) creating a thread and then spamming it with the suggestions, and hoping that no one would interrupt - or that anyone can post a suggestion. It could be made to work, but it feels as if it has potential to get messy.
    - Google documents. ... ... Is a thing. I think. Honestly, I haven't got a clue how that works.
    - In-world mail box is the one option that I still would lean towards. As long as it's accessible (either at the magazine 'home office' or the Forum Cartel Hangout - or both), and people are able to go there, jot down the theme they'll want to vote on into a note card and popping it in the mailbox. It doesn't have to be fancier than a prim cube with a free mailbox script, really. Seeing as people are shooting in SL anyway, I don't see how anyone should be unable to swing by a box in-world. Then at the end of the poll, I'll just head over to snatch up the votes and count them.

Answered questions ...

• Q: What size/aspect ratio do my pictures have to be?
    A: As a rule of thumb, 3:4 (minimum size 768 x 1024). See next question.
  • Q: How many pictures can I apply?
    A: Each participant gets up to one spread to play with. This means that you can either:

A) apply one picture (3:4), and have one page for text (credits, blog/Flickr/whathaveyou-links, poems, whatever).
    B) apply two pictures (3:4). These will then take one page each.
    C) apply a single, double-page picture (3:2 - minimum size 1,536 x 1024).

In the forum threads, however, you're welcome to post essentially as many pictures as you'd like. Just be sure to make it very clear which picture you'd like to submit to the magazine.

• Q: Can I add my own text to a picture?
    A: Yes; as long as it's on the background and not on the subject (in case it needs to be edited out for any reason, such as making a collage). If you wish to submit a 3:2 picture for a double-spread, using a blank spot for your text; please consult the Editor in Chief ( ... Me!) as there may be some standardisation of font, text size, and the like (Comic Sans will appear over my dead body!).

• Q: Is post-processing (i.e. 'photoshopping') the pictures allowed?
    A: Yes. However, no 'morphing' (i.e. putting your avi's face on a picture of a body, or vice versa) or Chromakey to use external (of SL) art/photos as a backdrop.

• Q: Do I have to give my written consent for my picture to be used in the magazine, when I post in the relevant thread?
    A: Yes. I don't want to presume that you want your picture in the magazine, it's your virtual property - I'll assume the opposite until otherwise stated.

• Q: I forgot to mention that my picture was meant for the magazine, and I can no longer edit that post. What do I do?!
    A: You write me a PM here on the forum, giving your consent there - preferably with a copy of the picture (either an embedded link or by right-clicking the picture from the thread, copying, and pasting into the PM). This must be declared before the deadline (20th of the month)!

• Q: What are the rules regarding backdrops in pictures applied to the magazine?
    A: So, this has been quite thoroughly debated, with strong opinions on both sides of the argument. Thus, I've decided that at least one picture submitted must have a solid white or black backdrop. If you submit two pictures, you may use a scenic backdrop in the second picture. Please note that this rule may well be changed for the next issue; the March & April issues is our trial run! Also, for March and April, people who already posted their applications will be accepted as is - apparently things were a little bit unclear by the time people start shooting.

• Q: For the theme, 'Arch-Villains & Superheroes', must I use an existing, well-known character?
    A: Nope - you're entirely at liberty to invent your own character. Who am I to tell you, that you aren't the next Stan Lee?

• Q: Can I suggest any theme?
    A: Why, of course! With a few minor guidelines:

- All themes must be as inclusive as possible. A theme can't be specific to a gender, ethnicity or other... Things.
    - Themes can be 'suggestive' (I mean, bunny suits ... ), but the forum rules still apply (you'll be posting the pictures through the forums, after all), so nothing explicit.
    - No overt copyright infringement. Virtual cosplay (as in, superheroes!) is fine, but 'Outfits stolen from this game' is not.
    - Nothing political. Yes, I get that people across the pond are itchy about their head of state, and that people all over are passionate about this and that ideology - but this is all supposed to be fun, and dressing up like ... Well, I don't know. 'People of that American political party' (or Swedish!) just isn't as relevant to the international crowd, as some people would like to think.

• Q: I disagree with one, several or all decisions made thus far and will not participate unless changes are made!
    A: We're a diverse community with diverse ideas - I'll be happy to hear them all. In the end, however, participation is entirely optional. For any decisions I make, I try to be as considerate as I can, of as many people as I can; alas, contrary to popular belief I'm neither omniscient nor omnipotent. ... 𝕺𝖗 𝖆𝖒 𝕴?

• Q: I'm confused. What now?
    A: Semla.

I hope that covers as much as possible thus far. If you have any further questions, just let me know and I'll try to keep things updated.

2 hours ago, Kotelle said:

I propose to combine all answered questions and suggestion to one doc and paste a link to that doc in the first post of every new monthly theme thread. This way you can always add more information or answer more questions in that document without editing the same post in all threads or trying to find out in which thread you answered

Aye, I agree.

Edit: Bleh. Trying to scroll through and I hit the wrong button before I was entirely finished.

A huge thanks to @Alyona Su for helping us compile the questions from across the threads!

Edited by Orwar
Bad button.
  • Thanks 2

when I heard YAM by Fiona (Yet Another Magazine) I immediately thought of SLAM! (SL Another Magazine).

when it comes to voting, in-world box sounds also great but in case you are not able to be in world on time, a document is always accessible. Unless you have no internet connection, but then nothing is accessible. Additionally, when using google docs or any other poll system, votes are automatically collected in a file so it is very easy to see the result. But why not both solution?

Edited by Kotelle

11 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Thus, I've decided that at least one picture submitted must have a solid white or black backdrop

To verify, if you only submit a 2 page picture, that automatically has to be solid backgroud?

12 minutes ago, Orwar said:

(Comic Sans will appear over my dead body!).

Who puts the pictures in after you are deceased?

Oh, and thanks for all your effort :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Zeta Vandyke said:

To verify, if you only submit a 2 page picture, that automatically has to be solid backgroud?

Aye.

Just now, Zeta Vandyke said:

Who puts the pictures in after you are deceased?

By then, I hope to have produced an heir to take the reins.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/2/2019 at 2:27 PM, Sagadin said:

Love this idea!

There certainly should be a punk theme somewhere down the line.

How about FTW for the name? Stand for Forumites Takeover (the) World of course.

There is this naming suggestion, as well.

Edited by Catrie
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.