Forum monthly theme-shoots w. virtual magazine compilation

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Nope, go for it! I'm yet to figure out how exactly to make the magazine to begin with. So. You've probably got a fair while before that!

*runs to see if she has any bunny outfits so she can get one in* 

awwww, I gots no bunny outfits....*pouts* 

Edited by anniepany
edited to add more
  • Like 1

I have a question... must the pictures be SL-viewer only, or are post-processing allowed, or are compositing allowed? For example, I am thinking to try out the Hero/Villain one - but if I'm the sidekick, can I composite onto a non-SL-originated picture or is that a cheat or a no-no? JUst asking. :D

Edit to clarify: Composite so I can show the Hero that I am the side-kick of. LOL So if I'm Aqua-Woman, can I composite onto a picture from the movie Aqua-Man? I just don't want to break any rules.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I have a question... must the pictures be SL-viewer only, or are post-processing allowed, or are compositing allowed? For example, I am thinking to try out the Hero/Villain one - but if I'm the sidekick, can I composite onto a non-SL-originated picture or is that a cheat or a no-no?

Good question! Post-processing is allowed, it's no fun showing off neck seams and alpha-collisions after all. As for composite shots, I'm not sure - personally I'd say no to it, it's supposed to be focused on SL after all. But, I'd like to hear what other people think of it, too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kotelle said:

In the meantime I am trying to figure out a schedule of posting pics and theme voting so that there's plenty of time and noone misses the fun. How about that:

1st day of the month - the theme is announced (for example April theme - Superheroes and Supervillains)

between 1st and 20th day of the month we post pics according to the theme  (we publish pics till April 20 in the thread that Orwar created)

21st to last day of the month we prepare next month magazine issue with current month theme and we also vote for next theme. It is mostly to have some frozen period to make sure all pictures are included, no one is missed and everything works as expected. So on May 1st the Superheroes and Supervillains is live and new theme is announced.

would 3 weeks of posting pics and around 9 to 10 days of voting / preparing the final touches of the magazine be enough?

Maybe I’m not understanding this correctly, but is 1 week (after 3 weeks of posting pics) enough for the editor or publisher enough time to get everything put together and out for the 1st of each month for that months edition? 

I feel like 3 weeks of posting (the easy part) is too much and 1 week of editing and putting the magazine together to release the 1st of each month isn’t enough. Maybe more like 2 and 2? (I felt like chuck woolery right there).

Idk, maybe I’m wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zennessa said:

Maybe I’m not understanding this correctly, but is 1 week (after 3 weeks of posting pics) enough for the editor or publisher enough time to get everything put together and out for the 1st of each month for that months edition? 

I feel like 3 weeks of posting (the easy part) is too much and 1 week of editing and putting the magazine together to release the 1st of each month isn’t enough. Maybe more like 2 and 2? (I felt like chuck woolery right there).

Idk, maybe I’m wrong. 

I didn't say that it is only one week to do the whole work - it can be started earlier, when first pics appear in the thread. The last week is only for final touches and to make sure no one else is posting so that no picture is missed. There's no problem that whoever puts things together starts as soon as first person post the pic - it is up to the editor.

I thought that giving 3 weeks for posting seems fair because some of us are not every day here or in world, not everyone has the idea immediately or the outfit ready.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Good question! Post-processing is allowed, it's no fun showing off neck seams and alpha-collisions after all. As for composite shots, I'm not sure - personally I'd say no to it, it's supposed to be focused on SL after all. But, I'd like to hear what other people think of it, too!

Post processing is important to many of us. Some take snaps to use for backgrounds. I often use my green screen room with lights to shoot the avatar. Later I combine them.

NalMarch2018_022C.thumb.jpg.1918a5522f400290e770fae5900b21aa.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Donna Underall said:

It's spring and maybe a sundress theme too?

I'm going to suggest that the themes should be gender-neutral.

A 'sundress' (or any other feminine) theme would exclude any male avatars from that month's theme (at least, those that don't want to make a jokey drag post, or who have genderfluid avatars who sometimes wear dresses).

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 12

Just now, Skell Dagger said:

A 'sundress' (or any other feminine) theme would exclude any guys from that month's theme (at least, those that don't want to make a jokey drag post, or who have genderfluid avatars who sometimes wear dresses).

There has to be something that guys wear that's equivalent?  Beach pants maybe?

• Like 1

Just now, Skell Dagger said:

A 'sundress' (or any other feminine) theme would exclude any guys from that month's theme (at least, those that don't want to make a jokey drag post, or who have genderfluid avatars who sometimes wear dresses).

You (and I) could rock a “sundress”, and you know it!

• Haha 5

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

You (and I) could rock a “sundress”, and you know it!

Nope. I most certainly would not. It's not my thing at all. While Skell has done very specific trashy drag in the past and has been known to cannibalise dress parts for an outfit, an out-and-out summer sundress theme would definitely be one I'd sit out. And there are many other less adventurous male avatars in this forum who like to post photos and who may want to take part, but would feel excluded by a feminine theme.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Great point Skell! Obviously there’s still so much to iron out. 

13 minutes ago, Kotelle said:

There's no problem that whoever puts things together starts as soon as first person post the pic - it is up to the editor.

Orwar, I think you should be editor in Chief and I second after you (whatever that title may be) since we (in my eyes) decided to start this. We can start conversing more and come up with timelines and such and list everything out on paper to share with everyone then on what’s expected, with timelines and such. 

Any opposition to this? 

Edited by Zennessa
Typos!!
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Donna Underall said:

There has to be something that guys wear that's equivalent?  Beach pants maybe?

Then the theme should be something like 'light summer clothing'. I'd take one look at 'sundress' as a theme and wouldn't even consider a pair of shorts to be close to a dress ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

A 'sundress' (or any other feminine) theme would exclude any male avatars from that month's theme (at least, those that don't want to make a jokey drag post, or who have genderfluid avatars who sometimes wear dresses).

Aye, that feels like a decent rule. Instead of 'sundress', perhaps a theme like 'summertime leisurewear' or something such (NOT a summerwear expert - if it goes over 20C my clothes are gone!).

1 minute ago, Zennessa said:

Orwar, I think you should be editor in Chief and I second after you (whatever that title may be) since we (in my eyes) decided to start this. We can start conversing more and come up with timelines and such and list everything out on osier to share with everyone then on what’s expected, with timelines and such.

Sure thing - I'll be around for an hour or two (well, 'should be' - I may be around for 5 hours if I'm not careful!). Give me a nudge in-world (on Nephtyria), or on Discord if you're in the Forum Cartel group. Currently running around trying to find a cape (SL needs more capes!) for my outfit, so my mind is a little bit all over.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

Please use an all-black background - this makes it easier to make a cohesive collage!

Since we are putting them in a magazine or Flickr, would it not be a lot more fun to do including backgrounds? It adds a lot to the theme if it has a fitting background. Will get a bit boring if its always just an avie on all on black background.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Aye, that feels like a decent rule. Instead of 'sundress', perhaps a theme like 'summertime leisurewear' or something such (NOT a summerwear expert - if it goes over 20C my clothes are gone!).

Sure thing - I'll be around for an hour or two (well, 'should be' - I may be around for 5 hours if I'm not careful!). Give me a nudge in-world (on Nephtyria), or on Discord if you're in the Forum Cartel group. Currently running around trying to find a cape (SL needs more capes!) for my outfit, so my mind is a little bit all over.

I’ll get at you as soon as I can. I’m at work now and then I come back for a night meeting as it’s budget season around here so lots of extra night meetings. I will though add you inworld so we can converse both here and there as needed and get started on putting rules, timelines, expectations, etc together. 

In the meantime I’d say we welcome all suggestions and input from everyone to be considered and added to said list. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Since we are putting them in a magazine or Flickr, would it not be a lot more fun to do including backgrounds? It adds a lot to the theme if it has a fitting background. Will get a bit boring if its always just an avie on all on black background.

Good point. The all-black background was mainly for the collage, so working with free pages I suppose there isn't really any need for it. It's up to whether Sara wants to do collages, and what people in general want.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

I agree: not green-screen composites. The reason I brought it up is as I percolate the myriad of ideas LOL. It was just one concept that popped into my head. So rule or not I've decided I will not use that technique.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Post processing is important to many of us. Some take snaps to use for backgrounds. I often use my green screen room with lights to shoot the avatar. Later I combine them.

NalMarch2018_022C.thumb.jpg.1918a5522f400290e770fae5900b21aa.jpg

Yes, yes. My question was regarding compositing against a non-SL-created background :) I have no authority to say it's a no-no, but have decided that for myself that it will be a no-no. :)

4 hours ago, Orwar said:
  • Someone posted a photo of a themed outfit.
  • People asked where one might acquire such an outfit.
  • People en masse began to post pictures of similar outfits.
  • The pictures are being compiled into a collage of dressed up forumites.
  • I suggested we make it a reoccurring 'thing', and that we compile each month's theme in the format of a virtual magazine.

Just one thing Orwar - I think you are skipping very lightly over this point. Without @Saravendi using her creativity to come up with (and taking her time to make) her bunny-poster, this whole thing would have been yet another standard forum issue of one asking for details about a certain outfit, getting the answer, and then some of us chime in later with a "hey-look-I -got-something-similar-too" posts. Only THEN, after the bunny-wall/bunny poster had been running/been expanded for a while and had become a thing by itself, the idea surfaced to take this further... So I think a bit more respect for Saras' "ownership" to this thing would be in place, just sayin'...

What this magazine at least needs is an editorial in the first issue describing the origin of this whole thing, credit put where credits are due... (and perhaps even a short mentioning of the origin/background in the colophon of each further issue)

I might (very well) be a bit thin-skinned and overreacting a bit here, but that's how I've become after being an (often) lone female in a male-dominated creative business (and I would have been as eager to put things straight even it if was a guy who came up with the original idea ;) )

So, that was me getting this off my chest, no more party-spoiling, sour grapes or ranting from me :D  Carry on carrying on, guys :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.