Can only wear one shoe at a time???

A3lrys

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm new and basically some of my shoes are not working properly with my avi's feet. I have the maitreya body and I only bought shoes that I have tested in the demo and that specifically say

that they are compatible with the maitreya shape. Some demos only let you try on one shoe, but that shoe always looks fine. However, after purchasing  with some shoes I've been running into this issue where the left and right shoe have to be put on individually. I bought these really cute flats from Bowtique. I put the left shoe on first and everything looked fine. BUT! as soon as I put the right shoe on, my feet and ankles get removed entirely, and I DO NOT mean hidden(I checked the hud to be sure). I mean the maitreya mesh for the feet gets completely removed, but the both shoes are still totally visible. When I put the maitreya feet back on then the right shoe gets removed. I even tried reversing the order by putting the right shoe on first. 

Long story short please send halp! What am I doing wrong?

@A3lrys

You need to "ADD" the shoes instead of "ATTACH" when rightclicking the shoes in your inventory.

Why? Your feet and the shoes use the same attachment point on your avatar skeleton. If you use "add" your feet wont be removed. 
Works also with other attachments... If you want to use two necklaces at once, for example.

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo
  • Like 1

In general just always use "add" and never use "wear" or "attach to hud" with any clothing , hud or other attachments or alpha layers.

Wear replaces anything currently on the designated spot, while add just adds it, leaving anything in place already there. (doubleclicking an item does wear by default, so right click -> add)

• Like 1

That's right, it's "add" not "wear". And the reason it only happens with the one shoe is because the mesh feet are actually only worn on just one foot, even though there's two of them. So you "wear" the left shoe and nothing happens because nothing else is already attached to the left foot. But if you "wear" a right-foot shoe, that replaces the existing feet.

Another tip is to change the default location an item attaches to. MOST items will default attach to the right hand. That;s because when a rigged mesh is uploaded, the default is the right hand and many creators don't bother to change it so some other attachment point before selling it.

Right click and choose 'Attach to' and choose the new attachment point. If too many things are on one attachment point, you won't be able to add more. For example, with dresses and tops, I attach to my left pec; pants and skirts, I attach to my left hip. That way whenever I change clothing, I can just double click those items to remove clothing I'm wearing and add the new ones.

20 hours ago, Roxy Couturier said:

If too many things are on one attachment point, you won't be able to add more. 

That's not the only problem with multiple attachments on the same point; if you have too many, some of them may be invisible to other people (even though they look fine to you). 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.