Linking and unlinking.......How to....

roderic1980

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi There .......could anyone give me a step by step guide to linking and unlinking objects ....i seem as though im making a right mess of things ...lol..........so would be very grateful if someone could take me through the procedure in a plain straight forward way .......Thanks so much in advance...

2 answers to this question

@roderic1980

have some prims on the ground, select all of them and click LINK when done. If the linkset you want to link has to have a specific ROOT/Parent  prim, then you must select that last. Often a HUD needs to have scripts added to the root, or the root may be the backing prim. In some objects you make the root the prim that is in the centre of the linkset to make it easier to rotate or stretch etc. 

Unlinking you select and Unlink, but if you are trying to unlink only one or more of the prims, and not all of the prims, go into EDIT linked parts, select the parts and click UNLINK, then only those will be subtracted from the linkset.

I hope that helps, it is hard to describe blindly :) but just play around by rezzing three prims and take turns at making one of the three the root.

Edited by Sasy Scarborough
  • Like 1

Sasy's got it.

For further information about this and other basic information about building (and other topics) consult the Knowledge Base.

Also, consider taking a free building course at Builders Brewery, NCI, Caledon Oxbridge University, or other places in world.  Then find a nice, quiet sandbox and practice.  😉

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.