Sailing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I’ve recently taken up SL sailing. On the whole I’m having fun but....I don’t get this idea that if you stand up on your boat it disappears back into your inventory.  I understand that we don’t want loads of boats left behind by irresponsible people and a return may be necessary.  However, having bought a nice swanky boat, I find I have to jump from seat to seat via the menu or the boat is gone.  I want to walk about and enjoy it and see the interior.  I would have thought that as long as your avi is on the boat that should be enough to keep it there. Why must it be seated?  I’m guessing that SL powers can only follow seated avies?   Then of course if I want to explore an island I can’t without losing the boat and then I have to find a Rez Zone.   Am I missing something or is this really how it is?

11 minutes ago, Tallulah Bilavio said:

I’ve recently taken up SL sailing. On the whole I’m having fun but....I don’t get this idea that if you stand up on your boat it disappears back into your inventory.  I understand that we don’t want loads of boats left behind by irresponsible people and a return may be necessary.  However, having bought a nice swanky boat, I find I have to jump from seat to seat via the menu or the boat is gone.  I want to walk about and enjoy it and see the interior.  I would have thought that as long as your avi is on the boat that should be enough to keep it there. Why must it be seated?  I’m guessing that SL powers can only follow seated avies?   Then of course if I want to explore an island I can’t without losing the boat and then I have to find a Rez Zone.   Am I missing something or is this really how it is?

A vehicle is a special type of object that can enter places ordinary objects can't if someone is sitting on it. As soon as you stand up it becomes an ordinary object and is subject to the usual object rules about object entry, autoreturn, etc.

If you want to leave your boat to explore you need to find a region that 1) allows object entry and 2) has a long autoreturn period.

• Like 3

If you rent a boat slip you can then set the boat to the land group and be able to walk around it.

It does sound as though you're able to switch seats without standing which is a very nice feature to have, especially if you want to drop anchor at some point in your travels.

Bree's suggestion of an alt account is a very good one, and one that I utilise myself. The Radegast viewer is excellent for this if the thought of two 'full' viewers running on your PC at the same time sends you screaming from the room. One thing to remember though with the Radegast, you won't be able to take that alt on your trip if you're crossing sims, they'll just disappear. But for teleporting in and having them sit to hold the boat while you can then stand, they're perfect :) 

Theresa is correct.  The reason your boat disappears when you stand up is due to parcel object settings.  The ultimate solution is to buy some water land and keep your boat moored there.  Then it will stay rezzed permanently.  There are marinas in SL where you can rent a slip or a mooring.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 9:40 PM, Theresa Tennyson said:

A vehicle is a special type of object that can enter places ordinary objects can't if someone is sitting on it. As soon as you stand up it becomes an ordinary object and is subject to the usual object rules about object entry, autoreturn, etc.

If you want to leave your boat to explore you need to find a region that 1) allows object entry and 2) has a long autoreturn period.

Every north west corner of Blake sea has small Rezz zone, you will have enough time to walk around you boat. You can go to many famous sailing sim, they usually are Rez’s able sea and has longer auto return time, like Eden, Naked Sea..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moore Jun said:

Every north west corner of Blake sea has small Rezz zone

Just a quickie correct: that would be the Northeast corner. Also, many of the racing timer areas are also large rez-zones, too. Most (not all) surrounding regions are also full rez-zones. PRO TIP: If you turn on "Show Parcels" in your Minimap - you will see the giant rez zone squares in the Northeast corner of all the Blake Sea sims (it's about 20% of the sim size, so they are pretty large.)

Edited by Alyona Su

If you use a third party viewer they all (I think) will show parcel boundaries on your minimap. With a bit of practice you will recognise the rezz areas around sailing areas, like the NE corner of some water parcels, or parcels next to public islands. The Leviathan island in Ahab's haunt for example has two rezz area one in the NW and one the SE. In Firestorm, Catznip, Singularity etc just open the minimap and right click it and you should find within the menu the option to enable displaying parcel boundaries .

Edited by Aethelwine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.