What's up with sim crossings?

MBeatrix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

55 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Running a cruise again now and only gone a few sims and everyone has crashed at least once. Not known it this bad in a long time.

If they don't fix this, mainland rally will get even more funny...

9 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

If they don't fix this, mainland rally will get even more funny...

To fix it, they would have to know what they did wrong, and that doesn't seem to be the case. It's always sad to see that LL seems more concerned about cosmetics than actually getting it all running smoothly.

1 minute ago, MBeatrix said:

To fix it, they would have to know what they did wrong, and that doesn't seem to be the case. It's always sad to see that LL seems more concerned about cosmetics than actually getting it all running smoothly.

I'm from the United States and just made a long boat trip from Dex to Norse Basin with no issues at all. I believe everyone else in this thread is from Europe.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I'm from the United States and just made a long boat trip from Dex to Norse Basin with no issues at all. I believe everyone else in this thread is from Europe.

from that other thread...

On 3/25/2019 at 10:58 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

There seems to have been teleport problems since last week, but only affecting certain users.

BUG-226577 - TPs (Teleports) causing Grid Disconnects and grey screen QUITS

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Right. I wonder if it's related with CDN providers to some areas...

[EDIT] But some people I know are in the US too and they are experiencing the same issues, while some other Europeans aren't.

Edited by MBeatrix
adding more info

It might be regional, but my experience on cruises are that people in the USA are as likely to be the ones struggling as not. I am in europe and I have had maybe slightly more crashes than normal but not enough to be sure there is a connection. Others however seem to be crashing twice as frequently and they can be in europe or USA.

Edited by Aethelwine

I live in WA state and I too get disconnects, crash on sim crossings (a lot!) as well as failed teleports. So it does affect people in the US as well.

I thought it could have been my router, my connection in general, or something else inside these 4 walls that make my RL home, but now that others are reporting the same issues (without living in my house 🙂 ), I know it must be something related to the move to CDN (aka the cloud).

I just tried my usual test of circling Heterocera on one of my motorcycles, hitting a region crossing every 5-10 seconds. No problems with region crossings.

Firestorm 6.0.2, Linux 16.04 LTS, viewer ping sim time 78ms, packet loss rate 0.2%, network bandwidth 50Mb/s down.

Update:

Tried speedboat in Blake Sea. Region cross failed at Blake Sea - Cattewater/0/142/21 then Blake Sea - Cattewater/-139/185/30. Avatar just disappeared. Boat is fine and I'm looking at it. "Stand" button not working. Then "Sorry, teleport is currently blocked"

Update: Tried same route again, entering Cattewater from the south. No problems.

Found a boat adrift at Blake Sea - Jetsam/167/120/21 Fractal 380R Painted, owned by Cannon. 10 minute autoreturn in this area, so this is recent. They probably were kicked out at a region crossing.

Lost control of boat entering Jetsam and ended up at Hawser/0/0/1, without boat.

I agree, trouble in Blake Sea area.

Edited by animats
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I thought it could have been my router, my connection in general, or something else inside these 4 walls that make my RL home, but now that others are reporting the same issues (without living in my house 🙂 ), I know it must be something related to the move to CDN (aka the cloud).

I wouldn't make that inference. Something is definitely afoot, but the (very gradual) move to the cloud hasn't progressed much recently, at least as far as we know.

It's more likely Something Else, and we mere mortals have scant means of probing further than to point at the big fuzzy Second Life box and utter in some proto-linguistic grunt: "Broken! Need Fix!" before dragging our knuckles to the safety of Cave, staring out in fear of the sabre-toothed grid.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I've had several of exactly the same thing - tp goes to freeze - long wait - eventual "You have been logged out...", and was still getting them after 27/Mar/19 2:28 PM SLT (when the bug report says resolved).

I'm in the UK, using FS 6.0.2.56680. 0% packet loss but ping always around 170ms to the US: Internet connection is 36Mbps down/ 9 Mbps up:   i7-8750H/GTX 1070.

TP crashes had become very much of a thing of the past for me. Suddenly, recently, they've come back with a vengeance. The last one I had was around 01:00 SLT 30 Mar 19.

One thing is for sure: it aint "resolved"! 

(TP crashes have occurred at various places around the grid and don't seem to be confined to any particular areas).

Edited by Odaks

I'm certainly not going to suggest a cause or solution for this issue but tonight while gliding I had an abrupt disconnect (to standard greyscale IM or quit screen) exactly as I crossed a sim border, having just previously crossed five or six without any drama.

When I returned (relogged) to SL (at Home) I attempted to TP back to the airfield I had taken off from but crashed in TP (standard IM or quit screen again) though this time on relog I WAS back at the airfield! 

Notably my partner, who had been flying the glider had continued unaffected and landed unperturbed but puzzled as to where I had gone!  We are both UK but with different ISPs.  We both use FS 6.0.2, which as I understand it is contemporary with the LL default viewer code.

As other posters have commented, I have not suffered TP crashes and disconnects like this for several years, especially since there were no other suggestions of connection issues, ie high ping or packet-loss.

Edited by Aishagain

There has been interesting feedback from some users affected by these teleport disconnects, but not enough yet to know if this is actually a thing.
Some users are saying that if they disable sky rendering, they no longer get disconnect on teleport.

Can those of you who can easily reproduce the teleport disconnects try disabling sky rendering & see if that fixes the problem?
To disable sky rendering, activate the Advanced menu in the top menu bar with CTRL+ALT+D.
Advanced -> Rendering Types -> Untick sky (or use shortcut CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+6 to toggle sky rendering on & off).
With sky rendering disabled (you will just see black sky), teleport about using landmarks or the world map - do you still get disconnected?

Please test this with normal teleports, not crossing regions on a vehicle.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MALIFAX said:

I haven't got the advanced skies on, for information

Whirly isn't talking about any sort of "advanced" sky, but the regular sky itself.  The steps she gave will stop rendering the normal sky -- the sun, the clouds, the blue, etc... -- and just result in you seeing nothing but black where the sky would typically be.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2019 at 4:06 PM, Fritigern Gothly said:

I know it must be something related to the move to CDN (aka the cloud).

The move to the cloud (that's being worked on) is to move the simulators to the cloud. The CDN has been there for a long time.

The recent big change to SL (and therefore a likely candidate for the teleport problem) is adding EEP, which appears to be what Whirly is gathering information on.

• Like 1

I see that https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-226577 seems to have been closed. But it's not resolved.

I'm sorry to disagree with Whirly, but the message "Problem encountered processing your teleport request. You may need to log back in before you can teleport. If you continue to receive this message, please check the Second Life Support Portal" is related to the teleports issue. It's just one form of it, and it happens even when you haven't previously teleported anywhere during your current session.

The issue is intermittent and happens randomly.

Sometimes you can bypass the problem. If the teleport is taking too long and you feel that it's not going to work, and if you have the Cancel button available, then cancel and select any other landmark. After you supposedly teleport to the alternative landmark, you'll end up still getting the error message but you arrive safely at the destination you first selected.

Some other times, when you re-log, you'll find yourself at the location you visited before... let's say, the last 3 you went to.

Anyway, my main concern are sim crossings, as I don't teleport around much. Still, I've had the teleport issue affecting me days ago. One of those times, I got the error message mentioned above, and again after re-logging.

Edited by MBeatrix
adding more info

We are having the same problem ,it started with the rolling restart 2 weeks ago , since then sim crossings are horrible , 

My partner and i play a scoring game . all we do is fly out 2 sims and turn around and try and beat each others landing score .

We have done this for a long time at many airports, we have our own airport now and until 2 weeks ago it was not bad , we crashed the odd time but that just the way it was, you got dumped and wound up on the ocean floor but now its impossible , now the plane 80% of the time just keeps going until SL logs you out , also i have found teleports terrible trying to get back to the airport, i and my partner are sick and tired of being logged out on sim crossing freezes

The rolling restart a couple of days ago did nothing , we had 11 days between the original restart and the one a couple of days ago 

Our airport is basically useless for how we use  it , and we have been flying this way for over 3 years 

Nope, definitely not resolved.

This was @9:19 PDT.

Capture.PNG.51a8fee44f5ee863b23cf2b10e6c6918.PNG

[EDI] I'll try disabling the sky rendering as suggested and see how it goes, both for teleports and sim crossings.

Edited by MBeatrix
adding more info

As described by Aishagain is exactly what i and my partner are experiencing , i get  that same grey screen after freezing , i would say on sim crossings but its more like no hand over to the next server when crossing you describe  then i have to quit and then when i go to teleport back to the airport it becomes a joke , i generally go to a different viewer  to get back , but no matter what viewer its the same  Alchemy , SL viewer , singularity .

My viewer settings have always been the same , 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.