Lureo

do you prefer to be male or female

I don't know if it is RP but in SL you can choose to be a male or female. You can have 2 avi. One male one female. And you can RP for each. Did you do that ? What is the easiest for you ?

For some it is RP. For others it's a means of being who they really are without having to deal with the fear and hatred of willfully ignorant people.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

actually gender is a float running between 0 and 1 ... if you want to be weird you can choose to be 1/π as your gender...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Haha 1

Recently was considering buying myself a new avatar that looks like a swam of butterflies. Would be hard to gender identify each and every one of them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, marinathewitch said:

Recently was considering buying myself a new avatar that looks like a swam of butterflies. Would be hard to gender identify each and every one of them. 

Won't stop anything - I was a reindeer once riding a yava pod (as all reindeer have antlers no matter what sex, gender would be hard to tell) but i still got invites to snu snu from random strangers O.o

Edited by Fionalein
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Won't stop anything - I was a reindeer once riding a yava pod (as all reindeer have antlers no matter what sex, gender would be hard to tell) but i still got invites to snu snu from random strangers O.o

Welp, people are weird. 😬 Although I am double tempted now to add that swarm avatar to my collection and see if density of those kind of messages will change. 😅

9 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

It's funny but I haven't had any of those in years, and I am topless 99% of the time, perhaps more.

Perhaps it's intimidating to see a woman who is confident enough to remain topless no matter the circumstances.

• Like 2

Way back in my early days, I created a male alt on a dare to see if I could actually pass as a guy in a club.  I failed miserably.  He was good for helping me get cuddle/sex animations adjusted in my furniture though.  Nowadays, he donates tier to my land group and logs in periodically to pay me his stipends.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Lureo said:

I don't know if it is RP but in SL you can choose to be a male or female. You can have 2 avi. One male one female. And you can RP for each. Did you do that ? What is the easiest for you ?

I think it’s easiest to just be yourself. 

• Like 1

I've never played a woman in SL, but I do on occasion play female characters in video games and tabletop roleplaying games. When I build a character, I usually ha e some image in my mind, and sometimes the sex of that character plays an important part in defining who they are. I just haven't to date made a female alt here because I having had a character that needs to be female. But it's not out of the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I once played both, but my original main account when I joined over 8 years ago was a male. I came to Second Life after writing collaborative RP on Invisionfree Forums, and my character in those was male, so I tried to bring him here. It didn't work out too well.

At first it was literally a case of bringing that same character to a role play sim, but then I liked to just hang out in public places in that same male avatar, not flirting with anyone, just enjoying a surf and such. I liked the freedom of experiencing things from this different perspective. It was fun. But then things changed. Outside of role play, and even during it, I was getting requests for real life relationships and pictures, and I didn't want to catfish anyone. When I finally did admit I was actually female behind the character the attitudes towards me changed, both in in-character and out-of-character. My decisions in role play were frequently challenged. People would IM me and say since I wasn't actually a man how could I know what sex felt like for a man, or how could I say certain things because real men didn't think like that. It was very confronting for me, and had me second guessing everything I wrote. Especially when people accused me of lying by not having a disclaimer in my profile that I was in fact female. No one seemed to grasp why I wouldn't, and how it changed the experience of trying to write as a man when no one treated me as one. So, frustrated, I retired him, and Rae was born. That was almost 7 years ago now I haven't looked back much since.

From time to time he does return to help me test animations or scripts I work on, but he will never role play again or interact with anyone else, which is sad. I know people still say honesty is the best policy, but it isn't always. At least it wasn't for me. It just sucks that in a virtual world where you can be what you like and do what you cannot in real life, there will always be some people out there looking to ruin it for others, and that's what happened to me. So, long story short, I prefer to be female because that is what I am. There's no lying, or feeling like I'm lying by omission, or having awkward conversations with would-be partners who trust the avatar is a visual representation of the real life me. The irony in all this is I shelved him years ago, but the accusations still remain in certain role play circles even now, so the urge to live my imagination has long since depleted. But that's just my story. :( 

Edited by RaeLeeH
Typos and such.
  • Like 4

I wen out with my male alt a few times, see how he would be received. What was funny was he got quite a few of the "Hi, looking good" (and such) messages, but non of them came from girls. Apparently only guys send those messages, or I just do not make a good woman magnet male alts :)

I did recently give him a full makeover though, and going to try him out again!

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Lureo said:

however i 99.99999% use my male accounts, i also have a female,.. and some genderless apearances.. i think the openings post is limiting the creative side and possibilities in SL.
Your world your imagination is nowhere so possible as here.
If you don't feel you have to be in a one kind of body/appearance/form/or any other thing... be free and expres it.

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 2

I'm male. I understand being a straight guy on a level that I can never match for a "character" that differs from this in biological structure, identified gender or orientation, although I've had to try. In part this is from genuine and important RL concerns because without it I could not hope to show any real empathy to so many people around me that I profoundly respect. It is also because I write, I act and I am an experienced RPer in many non-SL contexts. I've written believable women as characters in my stories, I've played a gay man on stage well enough that a gay friend congratulated me on the authenticity of my performance... but that's only because I relied heavily on the criticisms of people who have "lived it" to shape that characterisation, that performance, drawing on their experience and perception to illuminate aspects that would otherwise be totally dark to me. It certainly doesn't confer upon me any ability to convincingly "live as" somebody in SL who is not both make and straight. That would take much more than "acting" it. On stage or in fiction, a role is defined, constrained and illuminated by the story you're telling. It doesn't come close to living  a second life as that person.

So every avatar I wear in SL is an aspect of who I really am. So if they have gender or orientation at all, they are all male and straight.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, marinathewitch said:

When I used to build in public sandboxes, I wore that very avatar to keep away the guys who didn't understand, "I'm busy building. I need to concentrate and don't want to talk."  It worked for the most part, but there was one doofus who kept on coming anyway. So I switched to a male avatar, and that didn't dissuade him, either. He figured persistence would win me over in the end, but it only made me change sandbox. So yeah, if someone's already seen in you in a female avatar, the butterflies avatar might not help.

• Like 1

Overwhelmingly prefer to be male, albeit not exactly your typical alpha-macho type. Did try a female alt for a while but it made me uncomfortable.

I prefer to be myself and for that reason, to set myself Male.

I do a lot of rp but even so its always the same continuation (as if it whre truly another life).

Just a detail because is sl and i know its an rp, I do not agree on being able to be killed (if you say you kill me show me the blood and the hole/decapitation/ whatever).

of course for this reason my rp's are not about shooting or other dangerous things.

Yes i am a male and roleplay as a female too.  I like it and it is different than being a male.  I do put in my female avatar’s RL bio that i am female and most times I am a lesbian but try not to get into any relationships

On 3/29/2019 at 4:03 PM, Matty Luminos said:

Overwhelmingly prefer to be male, albeit not exactly your typical alpha-macho type. Did try a female alt for a while but it made me uncomfortable.

Oh boy, how THAT has changed in the past six months... 😂

• Like 2

I've RPed as men but whenever I've tried to actually really pass as one, it makes me too uncomfortable. Strange, because a lot of people online have assumed me to be a man...for a while, anyway.

• Like 2

Being a girl is fun but adding some “extra bits” made it that much more fun

• Like 1