Is Secondlife american culture ?

Lureo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Ever know anyone from around Alex? There were two of us in SL at one time. She rented from me. lol

My niece used to live in LC. Would be trippy if you had ever met her.

My parents moved to California when I was 6 weeks old. I moved to Texas at age 25. So though I have always been proud to claim my Louisiana (Cajun) roots I didn't have much experience living in the state. We did visit my grandparents every other summer though. I have lots of family who live there still so I make trips to the Lake Charles/Sulfur area from time to time. 

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

My parents moved to California when I was 6 weeks old. I moved to Texas at age 25. So though I have always been proud to claim my Louisiana (Cajun) roots I didn't have much experience living in the state. We did visit my grandparents every other summer though. I have lots of family who live there still so I make trips to the Lake Charles/Sulfur area from time to time. 

If you haven't thanked your parents for getting you out of that hellhole... you should. ;)

Austin is the only town in Texas that was ever really worth a damn, imo. Until they outlawed biker buckets. It was all downhill after that. ¬¬

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Austin is the only town in Texas that was ever really worth a damn, imo.

I'm partial to the New Braunfels and San Marcus area. Austin has always been too big city for me. I'll take the country with a slow moving river any day!

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

I'm partial to the New Braunfels and San Marcus area. Austin has always been too big city for me. I'll take the country with a slow moving river any day!

Close enough for government work! Wonder World was one of my favorite pastimes.

If you're still in the area, go have a buffalo burger at Hut's some day. If you've never been there... best burgers in Tejas.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

If you haven't thanked your parents for getting you out of that hellhole... you should. ;)

Austin is the only town in Texas that was ever really worth a damn, imo. Until they outlawed biker buckets. It was all downhill after that. ¬¬

Thanks. But how many Texas cities have you visited? San Antonio, Houston, and Fort Worth are wonderful  large cities, and there are lots of cool smaller towns.

You know what it’s called when you stereotype a whole diverse group based on little actual knowledge.

47 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Thanks. But how many Texas cities have you visited? San Antonio, Houston, and Fort Worth are wonderful  large cities, and there are lots of cool smaller towns.

You know what it’s called when you stereotype a whole diverse group based on little actual knowledge.

I don't like big cities and I have been to all of those. I've been all over Texas, including El Paso and Big Bend. Used to spend weekends on Galveston Island.

I wasn't referring to Texas when I said something about thanking the parents. I was referring to Lousyana. I had to grow up there so yes I do know what it is like. All too well.

36 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I don't like big cities and I have been to all of those. I've been all over Texas, including El Paso and Big Bend. Used to spend weekends on Galveston Island.

I wasn't referring to Texas when I said something about thanking the parents. I was referring to Lousyana. I had to grow up there so yes I do know what it is like. All too well.

What I think is that you don’t really know enough about Texas cities to have an opinion but have heard Austin (a big city as well)  is cool. Which it is, but so so are others, each in a different way. 

7 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

What I think is that you don’t really know enough about Texas cities to have an opinion but have heard Austin (a big city as well)  is cool. Which it is, but so so are others, each in a different way. 

I mean, Austin is the headquarters of Rooster Teeth, so there is that..

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I lived in Austin for several years* and spent many a family vacation in the state. I've gotten tatts done by the Shaw family in Houston (Westheimer). Bought LBs in Dallas/Forth Worth way back in the day. My ex did time at Three Rivers.

Naw, I don't know anything about the state next door to the one I grew up in.

*Last 2 addresses were Dan Jean Drive (duplexes) and Chaparral Road in Southwest Austin.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Doesn't that require we, as Americans, call other Americans "Americans"? If I were standing on a street corner in Port Washington and someone yelled "Go back where you came from!" at me (I've witnessed effectively this at the last two Fish Day festivals on the lakefront, when women wearing hijabs and orthodox Jewish men in black were harassed), I might think twice about calling myself an American. I stopped flying the US flag on the 4th of July two years ago and will start putting it out again when the harassment stops.

I proudly call myself an American. The people spouting hate to immigrants are not Americans. Just like the Christians that spout hatred aren't true Christians.  I would much rather live in the melting pot neighborhood i do now than one filled with those hate filled idiots. 

We have so many many mini celebrations with just the 10 families over the course of a year. So many different fooooooooods, music and fun. I introduced them to a traditional boiled dinner on the 17th. 30lbs of smoked pork shoulder, 4 cabbages, 5 rutabagas, 15 lbs of red potatoes, onions and carrots.. all simmered together for a couple of hours. We all loved it. I cant wait for Greek easter party. The family across the street cooks 3 whole lambs and a pig. We all pitch in for sides and desserts. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I lived in Austin for several years and spent many a family vacation in the state. I've gotten tatts done by the Shaw family in Houston (Westheimer). Bought LBs in Dallas/Forth Worth way back in the day. My ex did time at Three Rivers.

Naw, I don't know anything about the state next door to the one I grew up in.

Not enough for your opinion that Everywhere but Austin is “not worth a damn”:to count for much.

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

Not enough for your opinion that Everywhere but Austin is “not worth a damn”:to count for much.

WTF?

I never said that. I loved Austin but was extremely disappointed when Gov. Ann Richards outlawed biker buckets on 6th Street. The Black Cat was one of my hangouts and that is where we got the buckets from. Do you know what a biker bucket was? It was a plastic bucket filled with ice and 5 longnecks. The 6th one was open and in your hand. You could then wander up and down 6th Street with it rather than having to go back in every time you wanted a beer.

ETA: You can still get the buckets. You just can't take them off premises like you used to be able to back in the 1980s.

https://do512.com/p/buckets-of-beer

Edited by Selene Gregoire

Second Life is certainly influenced by Americans, but the influence is what some might call a “skewed sample”...

Americans in Sl tend towards the sector of population that would have a need or propensity towards online, virtual worlds.  Geeky people like me, people with life-limiting disabilities (me to some degree), gamers, people with a specific intrest in SL’s sex content or people who don’t “RL” well and prefer the digital world (also me to some degree after the Balkans).

The end result is that a big chunk of America is un-represented here because “its a really big place”, like China...

Generalizing about Americans based on Sl behavior might be a little off kilter, just like generalizing from popular media would be as media tends to only report the sensationally BAD to sell advertising with.

My Sl Partner is a proud Canadian and I love her dearly - so I would point out that hers is a distinctly different culture than what we have in the lower 48 states. My Sl Friends encompass several Australians and Germans as well as people from the UK, EU and even California 🙂

I consider myself lucky to have such a global collection of friends and I didn’t have to work hard to find them.

My personal  belief is that *if* we all worked at trying to get to know each other in venues like SL, it could make small difference in how we get along outside of it. I’ve got to see personally what happens when supposedly civilized people decide that ethnic cleansing is the way to go, so I am really in favor of any platform that offers us a chance to see one another as people instead of “them”.

SL is largely what you make of it, and if you’d like some help meeting a broader swath - I’d be honored.

RL gave me the chance to see a big chunk of the world when I was young, my unscientific observation is that “people are people”, so how we get along iss entirely up to us.

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5ca3617f7170487755

• Like 6

1 hour ago, janetosilio said:

Love the Riverwalk! And that open air Mexican market near the Alamo, authentic tacos and elotes. 

If I were to move anywhere else in the states Texas is on my short list.

I love San Antonio 🙂 My son attended training there and I visited to see him graduate. San Antonio has a deep and mixed cultural heritage and like you; I can see myself living there someday.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AmandaKeen said:

My Sl Partner is a proud Canadian and I love her dearly - so I would point out that hers is a distinctly different culture than what we have in the lower 48 states.

I tried not to get too upset about this when I read it. The op just kind of lumped all of the “English” speaking countries together, without realizing Canada’s official language is also French. 

51D0ABA0-C205-417C-974C-F6FD3646B97B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2019 at 9:39 PM, Lureo said:

Before I started Second Life I thought that SL was international. But but but

I just notice that here in this forum most of people are american (USA+ Canada + other english countries). All is in english. If you don't understand english how can you understand the culture. If you understand a little you still don't understand.

Wildly implying all English speakers are from USA and Canada while wildly assuming no one outside of USA and Canada can speak English.

What you did is like you scooped a cup of sea water from the beach and decided there's no whale in the sea because you didn't see one in the cup.

I can assure you there are plenty of non English speakers on SL. I have Romanian tenants, Chinese tenants, Finnish tenants, they all speak English. Do you want them to wave their flag around to loudly announce their origin with a sign that says "Give me a medal"? 

Long story short, they have other things to talk about other than their nationality.

Edited by iamyourneighbour

4 minutes ago, iamyourneighbour said:

Wildly implying all English speakers are from USA and Canada while wildly assuming no one outside of USA and Canada can speak English.

I can assure you there are plenty of non English speakers on SL. I have Romanian tenants, Chinese tenants, Finnish tenants, they all speak English. Do you want them to wave their flag around to loudly announce their origin with a sign that says "Give me a medal"? 

Somehow you must have missed the bold part.

On 3/28/2019 at 4:39 AM, Lureo said:

(USA+ Canada + other english countries)

military-tax_break-tax_cut-tax-knight-kn

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Somehow you must have missed the bold part.

"I just notice that here in this forum most of people are american (USA+ Canada + other english countries). All is in english. "

What the OP is saying is contradictory. First part he said form posters are American, title also assumes that we are all American with "Is second life American culture", then he moves to say it's all other "English countries", then because "All is in english" and somehow it makes an English speaker "American"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.