What means drama

Lureo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sometimes I see the word drama. Before reading the context for me it was

- Drama is something in relation with theater or cinema. So My conclusion is SL a drama play ? is RP a drama play ?

- Drama is a catastrophe.earthquake for exemple is a drama.

But the same word in different language has maybe different meaning. That is why I ask you.

• Thanks 2

Your first definition is the standard meaning in English, but there are many shades of meaning that change with context.  I suspect that you are curious because you have seen people use the word "drama" in an uncomplimentary way.  If so, they are using the word as a common short version of the word "melodrama."  Here is a dictionary definition:

mel·o·dra·ma
/ˈmeləˌdrämə/
noun
  1. a sensational dramatic piece with exaggerated characters and exciting events intended to appeal to the emotions.

2. a play interspersed with songs and orchestral music accompanying the action.

A person is said to be creating a "drama" if s/he is acting in a way that suggests the first definition above.  That is, s/he is acting in an unnecessarily emotional and exaggerated fashion, deliberately overemphasizing a statement for a theatrical effect rather than to make a serious argument.  If you accuse someone of "creating a drama" or, worse, being a "drama queen," you are belittling her conversation by implying that she really has nothing important to say and has therefore resorted to ridiculous theatrical tactics.  Unfortunately, the accusation is true in some common contexts (among teenagers, in on-line forums, ......  🙄  ).

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 1

There are many kinds of drama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drama

You likely already know much of what is written on the Wiki.

Dictionaries also define drama as 

an exciting, emotional, or unexpected series of events or set of circumstances.

which is the sense of the word as it is used in reference to events in/around SL. Mostly. Not always.

Context is important as to how the word is being used.

I never really heard the phrase no drama until after this song came out..then it felt  like it was everywhere..

I just remember it being,don't be so dramatic or don't get dramatic with me..then going to No drama or no more drama.. like a fad right away..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

When people accuse another of "drama" they are usually saying that someone is feeling and expressing emotion over something that does not really matter. Sometimes the accusation can be true when the drama-laden individual is just stirring emotion up to cause trouble and/or a type of excitement on an apparently boring afternoon.
However, other times accusing another of "drama" is used to shut the other person down when disagreeing -- perhaps the accuser is not wanting to take the time to understand the valid reasons another might have for feeling upset and expressing this.

49 minutes ago, Lureo said:

But the same word in different language has maybe different meaning. That is why I ask you.

I was just as confused as you at first but I did figure it out eventually. I think it's some kind of general American slang thing, not Second Lfie specific.

• Like 1

I think it really took off in the sleezy talk shows like Jerry Springer, Sally Jessie Raphael,Montel Williams and a few others .. Even in Oprah and others..Although I think Oprah kind of left the sleazy circuit and went wholesome around when No Drama became popular..

Drama, as other people have suggested, is a slang shortening of the term overly dramatic. Many people find interpersonal drama rather unpleasant and they do not wish to take part in it. Others seem to thrive on it.

When I see in a person's profile, "No Drama!" I take it to mean the person does not wish to take part in an overly dramatic relationship with others, or that they do not enjoy such histrionics. I also suspect that the person has just gotten out of an overly dramatic relationship and they do not wish to repeat such a thing. Sometimes I take it as a warning, to whit: This person has had drama before and could very possibly have it again, best to steer clear of this person

Edited by kali Wylder
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

When I see in a person's profile, "No Drama!" I take it to mean the person does not wish to take part in an overly dramatic relationship with others, or that they do not enjoy such histrionics.

Observing this for close on 13 years now I'd say "No Drama" statements are a bit like "No *****" statements; If you need to say it, then it's clearly an issue you stumble over a lot. In fact, I'd say that people who proclaim "No drama" in their profiles are by and large the biggest offenders for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

When I see in a person's profile, "No Drama!"

In my experience it means "I do not have time for your drama cause I am to busy creating my own".

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

A good example of drama ---> 

???

??? that is totaly confusing me.  As far as I understand Drama in SL meaning is melodrama or exageration of emotion. I am not really sure if I really understand but it is not too far.

Bur why do people support sellers that do no mod ---> You add a confusion by explaining something emotional with something that I don't understand whith so many information I don't understand. I don't understand that question !!! So how can I understand drama with a example I don't understand. Please use simple example.

do not mod ??? that is totaly chinese for me

support sellers ???

Maybe that is kind of troll.

Sometimes I like to exagerate information to explain something. So I am doing drama.

Sometimes I like to act in provocative way. Is it drama ?

17 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's a "drama" ............

Image result for llama llama book images

?? ?? ??

As far as I understand about that conversation Drama is something emotional. This is not emotional at all this is a funny picture. Maybe I miss something cultural or the context

I am continuing my question in additional a detail

Is the word drama in this understanding specific in SL ? Is it american english ? Is it used in this same meaning out of SL ? Sorry for my stupid question.

Maybe it is the same word than populiste. This word could be understand in a positive meaning (for the people) and negatively

Like integriste --> interger to be 100% or extremiste but in the negative  meaning.

37 minutes ago, Lureo said:

I am continuing my question in additional a detailIs the word drama in this understanding specific in SL ? Is it american english ?
Is it used in this same meaning out of SL ?
Maybe it is the same word than populiste. This word could be understand in a positive meaning (for the people) and negativelyLike integriste --> interger to be 100% or extremiste but in the negative  meaning.

nearly everything you add now, is already mentioned in the other replies in this thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lureo said:

I am continuing my question in additional a detail

Is the word drama in this understanding specific in SL ? Is it american english ? Is it used in this same meaning out of SL ? Sorry for my stupid question.

Maybe it is the same word than populiste. This word could be understand in a positive meaning (for the people) and negatively

Like integriste --> interger to be 100% or extremiste but in the negative  meaning.

Drama, like other words, has multiple meanings. I’m sorry, but not many people will want to compare our English words to words from other languages. Perhaps try a good online dictionary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I can’t tell if this is a racial slur, or cultural insult. 

if you are not sure either mod for me mean moderation maybe. Model

Do not mod : do not moderate ? You are not a model ? OK this is something not nice if it is an insult. Maybe it is better to not understand when it is an insult.

I was once "friends" with an utter fruitloop who kept sending me unsolicited gifts that I didn't want or like and then complaining when I didn't wear them. She hassled me and my Dom to get me to submit to her and when I told her I was utterly straight, said that my Dom had just "tricked" me into thinking that was the case. One day I logged in to find she'd sent me a batsquit message explaining that she actually hated subs and slaves and could therefore no longer be friends with me. I ignored her, then a day later got a barrage of messages telling me how awful I was for not "fighting for her" and "what we had". Obviously I blocked her, but I think that probably qualifies.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.