A new solution to combat high mainland prices

ItHadToComeToThis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If, in the beginning, a static price for mainland had been implemented then it would have been a fine and fair thing but it is way too late now.  It is not reasonable to expect people who have paid large amounts for land to now settle for bargain basement prices when selling, regardless of being a land flipper or individual who just wants to sell up.  Only a LL buy out would fix this and allow the playing field to be levelled but that is so impractical and unlikely it is laughable.

Whatever is done to try to target land flippers will inevitably end up hurting ordinary people with just a single plot or a few plots just trying to recoup the price they originally paid for it and possibly, maybe a little extra on top.  Just because they are getting rid of some (or all) land does not mean they are leaving or will not spend money in SL in the future.  Do we really want to burn ordinary folks this way as well?  It could push a lot of people away from SL with a bad taste in their mouths.

Obviously there are individuals with single plots who are over the top with their prices as well as land flippers.  I would wager that many price their land around the price of comparable land in their area when trying to sell it.  For some areas, this price is way higher than others for whatever reason and may seem gougy by comparison but this is how land is bought and sold in these areas due to "perceived value".  "Perceived value" is so subjective and what one person sees as a bargain, another thinks is a rip-off.

Disclaimer: I am not a land flipper or speculator and do not regularly sell land but do own more than one parcel of land.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

4 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

If, in the beginning, a static price for mainland had been implemented then it would have been a fine and fair thing but it is way too late now.

Just noting that there WAS --- at least on mainland :D -- a static price in the beginning. It was called "first land" and the price was one linden per meter. So $512 for a 512 lot.  Also, back in the beginning most private lands had a buy-in even though you were actually "leasing" and not buying.  It was pretty hefty in most cases. After awhile someone go the idea to "sell" those private lands for one linden (so free).  

Some history for the folks not here. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just noting that there WAS --- at least on mainland :D -- a static price in the beginning. It was called "first land" and the price was one linden per meter. So $512 for a 512 lot.

That is interesting and I didn't realise that.  I guess LL realised they couldn't stop people doing land exchanges outside of the the system anyway even if the land was L$1/sqm, people would just pay the extra to the seller before they would sell the land to them and thereby opening people up to scams.  At least the way it is, I would think that most exchanges are done through the land selling tools.  I would hazard a guess that back in the days of static pricing, this is exactly what started to happen.

Here is an interesting thing I have noticed that is kind of related though.  Some people on Nautilus who are selling quads of 1024sqm (all land on Nautilus are 32x32 parcels) often set the price of each parcel to the total price of four with the text in the description that says the real price of each parcel but only if you buy all.  They are trying to ensure that people will buy all four instead of just one but the seller must be present to set the parcels to sale to you at the real price upon request.  Of course that doesn't mean you couldn't just buy one and then say "thanks!" and disappear and so it is reliant on both parties being honest instead of using the land tools to enforce this.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
Correcting quoted part.

14 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

What did we do with first land?

Oh, first land!

14 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Buy some!

Flip it for a profit.

Buy a better parcel somewhere else.

It may work or it may not.

In one of the Color sims there is a first land parcel for sale, 8 m wide and 36 m long - the perfect shape and size if you want a very long and narrow house. It's currently owned by an account older than SL itself - probably the civilian alt of one of the early Lindens - but it can be yours for less than ten million Lindens - 9,999,999 L$ to be precise. Why nobody's grabbed it yet, is anybody's guess.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 2:25 PM, Qie Niangao said:

And it no doubt depends on where one looks for those tea leaves. I mostly watch Bay City, a few double-prim Zindra regions, and a few rail-adjacent areas scattered around the Atoll continent. And I'm not all that systematic about it. Bay City is a little more rigorous because @Marianne McCann puts out weekly counts of parcels for sale in the east and west sides of town.

Sorry to derail, but where does she post this? 

Thanks! :)

As far as I know, it's a weekly announcement at the Bay City Alliance meetings, and the transcripts of those are collected and distributed periodically. (Monthly? Quarterly?) So to get more than a subjective impression of trends would involve some investment in time and effort -- unless somebody is already doing it, I just don't know.

41 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

As far as I know, it's a weekly announcement at the Bay City Alliance meetings, and the transcripts of those are collected and distributed periodically. (Monthly? Quarterly?) So to get more than a subjective impression of trends would involve some investment in time and effort -- unless somebody is already doing it, I just don't know.

Oh, so not in a blog or forum post, at specific event. Bummer.

Thanks! :)

On 5/13/2019 at 2:01 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

What did we do with first land?

Buy some!

Flip it for a profit.

Buy a better parcel somewhere else.

Bought other people's lots for slightly inflated "'first land" prices. Made a mini-mall. Sold lots. Eventually moved to (then cheaper tier) private land. Made quarter sim mall. Moved back to mainland. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.