Have you ever tried to fool people into thinking you were a bot?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I read an online article about human players pretending to be a computer-controlled character in online video games in order to fool other humans into thinking they actually were CPUs. I was wondering if a similar thing happens in Second Life (a user pretending to be a bot and actually fooling other users.)

I think I've encountered such people during my days in the Safe Hubs - people spouting the same stuff over and over again...although I could never be sure if they really were bots or not....

I actually am one of those people who plays robot characters on SL. However, I don't intentionally present myself as your typical SL chatbot. I generally play as various forms of sentient robotic humanoid with different degrees of personality and humanity. Think less Cleverbot and more Detroit: Become Human. HOWEVER, I do talk through an object, which I think confuses some people. I find people tend to sometimes ignore me unless I'm in a roleplay sim where people are familiar with the system I use, likely because they think someone's scripted pet is spitting out one-liners at them. 

One of my characters leans more heavily towards the robotic side of things speech-wise, and has less personality than people would expect from, say, a human character or avatar. She helps out a lot at the store that manufactured her core (Nanite Systems), answering questions, demoing products, and providing tech support for other robots and their users. She gets mistaken for a chat bot a LOT. It's happened often enough that I now have a line in my About Me that states, "Yes, I'm a real person in here. I promise." It doesn't offend me though. If nothing else, i'm flattered! Clearly I'm doing a good job playing my character!

If anyone here has any questions about this sort of roleplay on SL, I'd be happy to answer them!

Edit: I also don't do a lot of repeating specific phrases. I do have some "programmed" responses but they're all pretty generic things that you might not even realize were on a programmed phrase-list. Examples include: "Hello!", "Do you require service?" and similar things to that.They're hard-coded into the robot controller I use, and change to different variations of the same phrases if my character's "persona" is changed in her settings.

Edited by Reyetta Claven
  • Like 6

Heh! I did this in Everquest a few times. The NPCs had [bracketed] words in their chat and if a player typed that word it would get further dialogue. Eventually players would catch on because I was typing my response slowly where the NPC would instantly reply to them. 

In SL, I have a robot avatar if that counts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reyetta Claven said:

I actually am one of those people who plays robot characters on SL.

I've found that Gynoids/Androids (and other associated nomenclature used by those playing such characters) are a lovely warm group of SL'ers. Wonderful on a cold winter's night, especially when their cooling fan fails or a devious owner pokes a matchstick into it.

AndroidHand.thumb.jpg.b94e721e19a3f064cce7e743cf753b42.jpg

(I own an android, so I am biased)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

I am pretty sure @Arduenn Schwartzman knew what pic he posted, ...

But discerning "bots" in SL is usually done through conversation and not by triggering emotional stress as described in a novel by Philip_K._Dick .

Of course he did, I just wanted to post a video clip of it.

Blade Runner the movie is far superior to the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". Of course the movie is just barely based on the book, except for the basic idea.

I watch the whole movie just to see this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoAzpa1x7jU&t=4s

5 hours ago, BelindaN said:

No, but early on I got asked if I was a real person.

I've gotten that numerous times.  I find it is particularly easy to be mistaken for a bot if you use chat gestures to relieve yourself of repetitive keystrokes.  If you toss large blocks of text out there, people are more likely to assume that you're a machine.

When I teach, I have my lecture loaded into a little HUD that lets me "speak" a sentence at a time, and saves my fingers and my sanity.  One time, about two minutes into a class, one student said, "she's a bot".  It took a bit to get that sorted out.

One of my fellow professors usually presents as a wind-up doll, with a key in her back.  Sometimes, she lectures from inside a doll box.  I don't know why more people don't accuse HER of being a bot!

• Like 1

I used to do that in an old game called Ultima Online often. Dress up in certain NPC like outfits and do the random moving around they did while mingle with those NPC's and hope other player accidentally attack you so you were allowed to kill them and steal their stuff :) (yes I was that evil, I'm pretending to be much nicer now!)

In SL I do pretend to be an answering machine a lot to undesired "Hi" messages.

I sort of have this very light RP going on with my community where my current in-world persona is a clockwork robot created to look after my avatar's workshop while they are out on an extended expedition. I wanted to present the character as a primitive construct, using very distinctive speech patterns (I'd end most of my feed posts with "End of Line") but I kinda feel out of practice with it. I do want to pick it back up though.

One of the things I did consider, but never followed up on was speaking through an object like @Reyetta Claven mentioned. Is such a thing cumbersome to use? Did you make it yourself, of pick it up from a shop?

1 hour ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

One of the things I did consider, but never followed up on was speaking through an object like @Reyetta Claven mentioned. Is such a thing cumbersome to use? Did you make it yourself, of pick it up from a shop?

The ones I use aren't too bad. I have used both the ACS CCU and the controllers from Nanite Systems. They both work right out of the box (though you need to buy a separate battery for the NS ones). You just need to set up RLV on your viewer to get full functionality. If you use firestorm, that's as easy as checking a box in settings and relogging. I've never tried making my own.

ACS provides programmed "rules" to follow, that can be added to or changed by people who have access to do so, as well as some basic settings and options you'd expect a robot to have, such as the ability to be muted or shut down, and controlled via a remote. It also has an optional battery and doll key if you like the idea of being a robot that actually needs charging or winding. The NS is much more in-depth and provides various personas and "speech filters" that can modify your typed output. You have a battery by default and can view your current power usage. You can turn off various "subsystems" which correlate to RLV restrictions to save power. Both have you talking through an object and spitting out green text, though the ACS only does so if the name you set yourself to via the system is different from your display name. 

If you just wanted the talking through an object part and none of the other neat features, you could use a simple roleplay tool. Though, without RLV, those can be a bit more cumbersome as you generally need to remember to type on a specific channel. Solares has an RLV chat tool that you can use without typing on a specific channel, though you'll need to use one of the dialects it provides, or make your own. There's robot-speech built into it though.

Hope that helps! Any more questions, just tag or quote me.

Edited by Reyetta Claven

1 hour ago, Waisting said:

No, but someone banned me from a sim because apparently I "looked and acted like a bot" all because I was apparently too quiet for too long. 🤔

That's crazy, considering most SL sims are basically avatar parking lots nowadays. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.