Are we allowed to create this post in the forums...

MajikVixen Lorefield

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1806 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

14 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, BlueVioletVixen Lorefield said:

...Something like a "Place Your For Sale Stuff Here" post somewhere if it's not land, to give everyone the opportunity to post their stuff just in one section to not bother the other forum spots?

Nope.  No advertising in the forums apart from a link in your signature

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

• Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service.
Note: It is OK to have a signature line with a link to your Second Life profile or information about your Second Life business.
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, BlueVioletVixen Lorefield said:

...Something like a "Place Your For Sale Stuff Here" post somewhere if it's not land, to give everyone the opportunity to post their stuff just in one section to not bother the other forum spots?

with the current rules this isn't allowed unless it's Land or looking for certain difficult to find item by a buyer in the wanted section.
If you want such section in the forums, you can post a JIRA

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BlueVioletVixen Lorefield said:

I did... but I have a special event happening on the MP, and nowhere to let ppl outside of groups know.

Apparently, you can post things like that in the events section, as someone did that yesterday and nobody said boo

There are tons of places to advertise; flickr and share to 100's of SL related flickr shopping groups, ditto with facebook,  Paid advertising services in and out of world too.  Thats what I do

There ought to be one reliable sure spot to let ppl know about these things.  

Flickr is run by Yahoo, that I don't have anymore because they went downhill and have been hacked.

Facebook will delete accounts that look fake, as in, all avatars, so it's pointless to me.

I've also tried billboards and advertising places inworld, they just do not work, I end up paying more to sell something than the value of the something I am trying to sell.

So, I'm done.

My two cents --- People have asked for an "advertising" area on the forums for a long time. It doesn't appear that it will ever happen. That being said I have been on platforms that had store advertising areas in the forums and it did no good at all. So I don't see it is an issue. 

Make a good product. Put it on the Marketplace. Hopefully folks will find it. 

There are TONS OF CREATORS out there now (most legit, some not so much). Folks that are not new (I am thinking the majority) pretty much have the things that they actually NEED. So you have to make something special in order for it to sell. This isn't news. If no one needs your product or can get a better one (or equivalent and cheaper one) from someone else -- no amount of advertising will make a difference. 

The big boom days of SL are no longer with us. They may possibly return but until then it is likely best to create because you ENJOY it and not worry so much about sales. 

You will not get the answer you want here. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

it is likely best to create because you ENJOY it and not worry so much about sales. 

This ^^  If you are in SL to make money, you are probably here for the wrong reason.  If you are a skilled creator, you can earn a lot more by creating things in RL.  Creators in SL - not all, but many -- are here because we enjoy what we do.  This is our "vacation" time, away from RL, where we get to create the things that we want.  If people buy them too, that's great.

• Like 1

A little late, but...

On 3/25/2019 at 9:07 PM, BlueVioletVixen Lorefield said:

Flickr is run by Yahoo, that I don't have anymore because they went downhill and have been hacked. 

Flickr is run by SmugMug, and you can now log in without a Yahoo account. You do, however, need to have a Pro account if you want to advertise.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:07 PM, BlueVioletVixen Lorefield said:

Facebook will delete accounts that look fake, as in, all avatars, so it's pointless to me. 

Facebook allows avatar pages, just not avatar accounts. You can create a page with your real life FB account and nobody - RL or SL - would be any the wiser who the real person is behind it.

There's also Instagram, Twitter, Plurk (which has a surprisingly large SL contingent using it), your SL feed, Discord groups...

Edited by Skell Dagger

3 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

A little late, but...

Flickr is run by SmugMug, and you can now log in without a Yahoo account. You do, however, need to have a Pro account if you want to advertise.

Facebook allows avatar pages, just not avatar accounts. You can create a page with your real life FB account and nobody - RL or SL - would be any the wiser who the real person is behind it.

There's also Instagram, Twitter, Plurk (which has a surprisingly large SL contingent using it), your SL feed, Discord groups...

Oh, the exhausting round of Social Media!  I don't know HOW I cope.

Oh, yes I do.  I don't do that stuff.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh, the exhausting round of Social Media!  I don't know HOW I cope.

Oh, yes I do.  I don't do that stuff.

Your point being...?

Sorry, Lindal, but this post came across as unnecessarily 'superior'. Not all of social media comprises self-absorbed people posting filtered images of what they had for breakfast. Right now at the top of my RL Twitter feed (at a very quick glance) I have:

• an article from the British Library about writing on wax tablets in 2nd century Egypt
  • an article about weighing the balance between antibiotic resistance and the long-term benefits of antibiotic use in poor countries
  • an article about how Faber revolutionised British literature
  • some daftness about rams from MERL (the Museum of English Rural Life)
  • an article about the folklore of 'orphan heroes' in literature and art
  • an article about the mnemonics of words
  • on this day in 1792
  • Oxford Dictionary's word of the day
  • an article about the General Rafael Urdaneta Bridge
  • a beautiful 'Medieval Manuscript Illumination of the Day' image
  • links to several book reviews
  • an architectural tour through an 18th century Scottish farmhouse that was renovated to be energy-efficient
  • a link to a podcast about how 'smart' cities should be
  • an article asking if millenial 'cancel culture' is really a thing
  • multiple fascinating historical words and phrases from Haggard Hawks
  • cute dog pics and 'thoughts of dog'

And so on. Not a breakfast image or selfie in sight. Only things that interest me and afford me some fascination, learning, and a smile whenever I glance at them. If you curate your social media with care then there's nothing 'exhausting' about it; it just becomes an interesting pool that you can dip a toe into now and then.

I use Facebook to keep up with friends, yes, but also with musicians and bands that I'm interested in, as well as similar themes to my Twitter account. I use Tumblr to keep up with other things, such as fashion and gaming. I use YouTube to keep up with my favourite gamers (no, not the annoying ones like PewDiePie; I follow the 'gentler' ones who play the games I like, as well as various music accounts, and several people who post historical and/or science documentaries etc). I use Flickr solely for Second Life. I use Discord to talk to my best friend and partner.

With regard to the OP, they posted some misconceptions: that Flickr was owned by Yahoo (when in fact it was acquired exactly a year ago by photography group SmugMug) and that one needs a Yahoo account to access it (as of a couple of weeks ago, that's no longer a requirement). Since it was a very strong option for their multiple other queries of "Where else can I advertise my items, outside of within-SL store groups?" - as there is a huge Second Life userbase on Flickr - I thought it both relevant and helpful to let them know that it was now an option. I then offered them some more options that may also be useful, relative to their questions.

5 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Your point being...?

Sorry, Lindal, but this post came across as unnecessarily 'superior'.

It did?  I certainly didn't mean it that way!  I was simply struck by a (to me) humorous analogy.  In the days before computers and social media, the upper crust of society was deeply enmeshed in the activities of "society"...you know, all those parties, all that gossip, all that glamour.  And to tell the truth, of course, that's all still going on. 

Now there's social media, and we're all concerned with all the latest doings THERE.

It just made me giggle a little bit at humanity.

...hands you a crystal flute of champagne in apology.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 3:34 PM, Skell Dagger said:

A little late, but...

Wow, after 13 years, finally, good for Flickr for getting with Verizon.

FB pages ...and groups.  Yup.

And yus, thank you for the helpful point-outs.  I just simply don't care to go hunting all over the internet just to find something that should have a sure, one-place, designated spot, unless I'm really desperate... and if I feel that way, I'm sure others might as well.  ...Lah dee dah, okay, *lets them rot on MP* moving on...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1806 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.