teleport down?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:58 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

There seems to have been teleport problems since last week, but only affecting certain users.

BUG-226577 - TPs (Teleports) causing Grid Disconnects and grey screen QUITS

Interesting, I wonder if this is the same problem affecting some sailors? Cruises I have been involved with over the weekend have had some people crashing on sim crossings much more than usual, enough that alot lost patience and simply gave up. In my case I seem to have been lucky and not noticed anything unusual. People have been noticing the correlation with EEP roll-out and thinking the issues might be related?

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

Interesting, I wonder if this is the same problem affecting some sailors? Cruises I have been involved with over the weekend have had some people crashing on sim crossings much more than usual, enough that alot lost patience and simply gave up. In my case I seem to have been lucky and not noticed anything unusual. People have been noticing the correlation with EEP roll-out and thinking the issues might be related?

I would guess that the region crossing is affecting sailors. As animats clarified when we region cross we are unsat, teleported into the new one without the usual TP interstitial, then resat. With failing teleports hanging people would be disconnected and never know (no interstitial showing the hung progress bar)

I am not as expert at the inner working as some other people, but I don't think it's EEP myself, likely some networking problem *between servers* the Lab are trying to locate and fix.

Edited by Shudo

On 3/26/2019 at 10:02 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Was it this? (blocked_tport notification)

Screenshot_1.png.7a51b742d3f10de6a40055cc6512cc2b.png

This error comes up during some types of teleport failure. It stops you from trying again too quickly, though it's only blocked for a few seconds at a time.

16 hours ago, Hunter Stern said:

so some 'Accounts' are effected ? or some accounts and the alts of those accounts? there is a difference in some legacy accounts.

I don't know about now but I do know that in the past,  they may or may not be stored on the same server, so it is possible.

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I haven't seen the "teleport blocked" message, but I've been getting the failed teleport/logout problem as well.  It's still happening as of yesterday (Tuesday, March 26), anyway.

I actually got it once yesterday. Blew my mind! Almost 13 years in and I've never seen that before. My first thought was "Am I banned from that region? Seriously? Never been there before, so how..." LOL Then I read it again, decided it looked like a LL type of message. dismissed it, tried again and it said "Too many requests, try again in xx seconds..." THAT's when I decided yup: LL message. So I relogged. Never saw it again.

BUT TPs were a "Feels like 2007" event all day. I mean horrible. Reblogging seemed to clear it up. But then it started working normally again in the (SLT) afternoon. So not sure if it was the system itself or the *regions* was trying to get to.

29 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

BUT TPs were a "Feels like 2007" event all day. I mean horrible. Reblogging seemed to clear it up. But then it started working normally again in the (SLT) afternoon. So not sure if it was the system itself or the *regions* was trying to get to.

I think it is region-related. I was having trouble teleporting to my home region earlier today, and one other, but everywhere else was fine.

On the 20/12/19 we had log in issues for an hr or so b/c of an upgrade SL was working on.

Ever since the SL upgrade, me and some of my friends have had TP issues also. Crashing, hanging, or just unavailable.

Im assuming, its just SL being SL and it will sort it self out. until then its just a bit of a pain

I’m still having this issue as well. Hopefully it gets fixed soon. I’ve tried switching viewers but not even that seems to help. 

On a positive note since teleporting is such A pain in the ass,  I’ve manage to save some money by shopping less and I now have a fully organized and sorted inventory ! 

• Like 1

There has been interesting feedback from some users affected by these teleport disconnects, but not enough yet to know if this is actually a thing.
Some users are saying that if they disable sky rendering, they no longer get disconnect on teleport.

Can those of you who can easily reproduce the teleport disconnects try disabling sky rendering & see if that fixes the problem?
To disable sky rendering, activate the Advanced menu in the top menu bar with CTRL+ALT+D.
Advanced -> Rendering Types -> Untick sky (or use shortcut CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+6 to toggle sky rendering on & off).
With sky rendering disabled (you will just see black sky), teleport about using landmarks or the world map - do you still get disconnected?

Please test this with normal teleports, not crossing regions on a vehicle.

• Like 1

I've tested that what Whirly posted and it seems that the teleports work a little faster and I haven't been disconnected yet, even if I've performed like 30 jumps between different continents to randomly chosen sims. Yesterday, when I was teleported from one abandoned land to another, I usually was disconnected after couple of jumps, sometimes 3-4, sometimes more than 20. So it might be a workaround indeed. Let's see what happens later.

• Thanks 1

I am posting here since I can't in the jira section.

For me the whole thing happens while on a boat crossing regions mostly. Today I tried the sky-off option and first thought it got better indeed, but at the end the failed TPs happened again, and then three times after each other on the next crossing after logging back online. That means, I can't say that there is a big difference between sky rendered or not. Sorry.

But of course I will continue to read the comments in the jira and try to help testing where it makes sense. I very much hope that this issue's reason will be found soon. It is so frustrating not being able to finish races for about two weeks now.

• Thanks 1

I cannot post comment in the JIRA anymore, so adding my findings here.
I tested using SL without rendering Sky, after reading that it could mitigate the disconnect issues.
I went out to sail and got disconnected again after several region crossings (maybe 12 or so) so not rendering sky did not make a difference for me. My session ended on a "You have been logged out of Second Life. You have been  disconnected from the region you were in." pop up message.
The disconnect started as I entered in region Fanci Deep NW from Osprey Ridge. I did save the Firestorm log file for that session.
Upon re-logging with "last region" set on start up, I came up in the region where I had started the previous session, not where I got disconnected.

Edited by vivipezz
  • Thanks 1

Yes, TPs are definetly acting up. If TP hangs and I just let it try, I eventually get logged out.

If I press Cancel I get the error message posted up-thread, TP blocked. Has been this way for me for a while, both in FS and the LL viewer, I've noticed no difference between the two regarding this, really. With sky rendering disabled FS hasn't crashed so far, though. TP-ed to most mainland rez areas I have landmarked (quite a few) and several biker sims.

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2019 at 1:35 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

try disabling sky rendering & see if that fixes the problem?

sorry it did not fix the issue for me. tp's still crashing had about 6 crashes out of 15 tp's thought the day.

Edited by Gyprock
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2019 at 1:35 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Can those of you who can easily reproduce the teleport disconnects try disabling sky rendering & see if that fixes the problem?
To disable sky rendering, activate the Advanced menu in the top menu bar with CTRL+ALT+D.

As I can readily reproduce this fail, yes, turning off the sky does seem to help - so far

EEP fail, hey.

On 3/25/2019 at 1:57 PM, Rolig Loon said:

Nope.  I've been in all evening and have had no trouble teleporting.

Oh yea, it's definately failing.

Edited by Shudo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shudo said:

EEP fail, hey.

Well, it might be, but might not be  :D
It's highly suspicious that this problem started on the day that EEP rolled out to all regions, BUT who knows what else was bundled into the server update that could affect teleports.
If the teleport disconnect is a race condition, it's quite possible that disabling sky rendering causes the TP process to speed up enough to work around the problem.

It's annoying me no end I can't reproduce it. I must have done thousands of teleports over the last week & only had one disconnect.

• Like 1

Ever since the EEP rollout started, teleports crash for me about 1/5 times (very rough approximation)

Eep indeed.

I would predict that it's a problem with some hardware. Presumably AMD since SL doesn't really like their stuff. Is anyone with Nvidia affected?

Edited by Cinos Field

10 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

I would predict that it's a problem with some hardware. Presumably AMD since SL doesn't really like their stuff. Is anyone with Nvidia affected?

The crashes are disconnects during teleports, if you now can explain me how client side graphics hardware can affect the connection I would be more than happy. I still doubt it is EEP connected, might be some bug uploaded to the simulators the same time EEP got deployed...

My guess is it is preparation for the "Going to the cloud" process where inter-simulator communication will need to change (and they can prematurely deploy the changes in their local net - IMHO anything that will work in the cloud should work in a local serverfarm as well)

Edited by Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.