color of x, y, and x building axes

Leostomas Carpaccio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

X is the red arrow and goes positive from South to north.  Looking at a map, it's up and down.

Y is the Green arrow and goes positive from West to East.  Looking at a map, it's left and right.

Z is the Blue arrow and goes positive from down to up.  Looking at a map, it's coming off the map right at you.

Grrr.  Hit reply too early. 

No, I do not know of any method to change the colors of the arrows.  However, I have seen how one color blind gent worked around his problem.  He had his own private building area on his land with the meter scale grid on the ground, and large 10x10m panels on 5 sides with huge black and white +X, -X, +Y, -Y and +Z on them.  So he knew just by glancing at his walls which way he as adjusting things.

Not only are the colors hard-coded into the software, they are a standard across virtually all 3D platforms, so it's unlikely that developers for any program like SL are going to give users the option of changing them.  That does create issues for color-blind users, but I'm not aware of any solution, easy or difficult.  In the very simplest case, where you are working only in the World reference frame, you can of course be confident that the horizontal circle is the Z rotation (the blue circle).  You can also tell the X and Y apart by checking with your Mini-Map, which will tell you exactly which global direction you are facing.  If you are working in the Local or Attachment frame, however, all bets are off. The only thing you can do is keep an eye on the numbers in the Object page of your Edit tool and see what changes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.