Swapping mainland for LH or vice versa?

Fritigern Gothly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So after more than 10 years on SL, I recently went premium, saw the currently available Linden homes, shrieked in horror and subsequently won the auction on a bit of mainland and have been setting up my little home there.

...and then I saw the preview of the new Linden homes at the Linden Homes Preview sim and now I am enthusiastic about those!

So now my question is this: How easy/hard is it to swap out my mainland for a Linden home, if possible at all? 

Of course, I realize that I would have to abandon/sell my current mainland parcel but is it at all possible to get a Linden home after I have had a mainland parcel?

Additionally, what if I switch to a Linden home (assuming that's possible), but decide I want to go back to mainland anyway? Would I be able to switch back? I know that you can move some 5 times between Linden homes in a single week IIRC, but I have never found anything related to swapping mainland for a Linden home or vice versa, and I couldn't find anything on the forum either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TL;DR: Getting a Linden Home after selling/abandoning mainland parcel (or vice versa). Is this possible yes or no?

Edited by Fritigern Gothly

I believe Path said (either noted in the SSP thread or the Linden Homes Preview thread (  @Blush Bravin will likely know)) that the new Linden Homes will work similarly to the  current ones. The current Linden Homes can be moved into and out of at will (abandoning the Linden Home to move to a personal mainland parcel or selling -- or abandoning -- a parcel and then moving into a Linden Home. 

So LIKELY there will be no problem. You of course would have to get rid of one or the other BEFORE changing -- AND it is important to remember that mainland tier is paid for the month BEFORE, so you would likely need to wait a bit if you didn't want to pay tier (a friend of mine had that issue).   But with some planning it "should" be doable.  We will likely have more details soon. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

So after more than 10 years on SL, I recently went premium, saw the currently available Linden homes, shrieked in horror and subsequently won the auction on a bit of mainland and have been setting up my little home there.

...and then I saw the preview of the new Linden homes at the Linden Homes Preview sim and now I am enthusiastic about those!

So now my question is this: How easy/hard is it to swap out my mainland for a Linden home, if possible at all? 

Of course, I realize that I would have to abandon/sell my current mainland parcel but is it at all possible to get a Linden home after I have had a mainland parcel?

Additionally, what if I switch to a Linden home (assuming that's possible), but decide I want to go back to mainland anyway? Would I be able to switch back? I know that you can move some 5 times between Linden homes in a single week IIRC, but I have never found anything related to swapping mainland for a Linden home or vice versa, and I couldn't find anything on the forum either.

TL;DR: Getting a Linden Home after selling/abandoning mainland parcel (or vice versa). Is this possible yes or no?

I am in the same boat as you. I need to sell 512 sqm because I used it not thinking that the new homes would be out so quickly. I set my land for sale the day the preview region opened. There is no problem whatsoever with going back and forth as long as you have the sqm available. So once you have 1024 sqm free you will be able to get a new Linden home. If you decide later that you want to go back to mainland, all you have to do is abandon the Linden home and you can once again use the 1024 sqm for a mainland parcel. You are good to go as long as you have the sqm free. :) 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

AND it is important to remember that mainland tier is paid for the month BEFORE, so you would likely need to wait a bit if you didn't want to pay tier (a friend of mine had that issue).

This is only an issue when you are downgrading from premium to a free account. As long as you have the sqm free it doesn't matter. Because you are holding the 1024 whether you are actually using the sqm or not. So once you sell or abandon your current land you will have that sqm free immediately.

Just now, Blush Bravin said:

This is only an issue when you are downgrading from premium to a free account. As long as you have the sqm free it doesn't matter. Because you are holding the 1024 whether you are actually using the sqm or not. So once you sell or abandon your current land you will have that sqm free immediately.

Well I understand the theory. I also know someone who had issues. It may have just have been a clerical error but she was homeless for a month waiting.   So, personally "I" am leery.   I also know someone who called up billing to ask about tier costs and was given completely WRONG information and ended up paying a month's worth of extra tier.  So sometime theory isn't exactly working out. I can't know the ONLY two people that had issues LOL  --- or maybe I can.    

Hopefully it will all go smoothly for both you and the OP :D. Fingers crossed. 

4 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well I understand the theory. I also know someone who had issues. It may have just have been a clerical error but she was homeless for a month waiting.   So, personally "I" am leery.   I also know someone who called up billing to ask about tier costs and was given completely WRONG information and ended up paying a month's worth of extra tier.  So sometime theory isn't exactly working out. I can't know the ONLY two people that had issues LOL  --- or maybe I can.    

Hopefully it will all go smoothly for both you and the OP :D. Fingers crossed. 

I had no billing issues swapping things around and I've done it twice now over the last few months.  I've also known people that swore up and down they did everything the right way, but when all the actions and dates were actually laid out, it wasn't true.  In any case, hiccups do happen and can be frustrating to get correct.  Personally, I seldom trust the things told to me on the phone, which is why I open a support ticket to clarify how the charges "should" work.  I printed my full ticket out, saving it to PDF, for future reference. If I have it in writing, while they might be able to change things in the future, they have to at least honor it for the specific case that I asked about.

• Thanks 1

Over the years I've bought and sold a lot of land. I've been in and out of Linden homes. The issues arise if you're not careful to be sure you have the free sqm or if you are downgrading but don't realize that you're paying ahead not behind. So some people end up paying an extra month because they downgraded tier but did it a day or two into the next cycle, so they end up having to pay the old tier level because they didn't downgrade before the cutoff period. But in this case the OP has 1024 sqm. She's not downgrading say from 2048 to 1024 so that won't be an issue. It's a simple swap out. One 1024 for another 1024. As long as she is completely out of the prior 1024 she will have no issues obtaining the next 1024.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

But in this case the OP has 1024 sqm. She's not downgrading say from 2048 to 1024 so that won't be an issue. It's a simple swap out. One 1024 for another 1024. As long as she is completely out of the prior 1024 she will have no issues obtaining the next 1024.

That's exactly how I plan on doing it. I did pay a year in advance, so there should be no issues regarding billing cycles either.
And the order of events is quite clear to me, first I need to get rid of my mainland parcel, and only once that is gone from my account will I be eligible for a LH.
One could, however, argue that I first need to downgrade from 1024m² to 0m² and perhaps doing so might take a little time?

Which leaves the question which is on all of our minds, which is "when will these new homes be available?" and the answer to that is.... nobody knows. Well, nobody outside of the Lindens 🙂 
Seeing as the first signs of SSP were detected in August 2018, it could take another 6 months to a year for the new homes to become publically available (although It prolly won't be that long), but that kind of speculation is probably best saved for a completely different topic 🙂

37 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Which leaves the question which is on all of our minds, which is "when will these new homes be available?" and the answer to that is.... nobody knows. Well, nobody outside of the Lindens 🙂 
Seeing as the first signs of SSP were detected in August 2018, it could take another 6 months to a year for the new homes to become publically available (although It prolly won't be that long), but that kind of speculation is probably best saved for a completely different topic 🙂

Per Inaya's blog:  "No precise launch date has been announced, but Patch indicated it is now “weeks” away for the initial deployment."

https://modemworld.me/2019/03/15/new-linden-homes-preview/

Granted, 'weeks' could still mean a few months.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

One could, however, argue that I first need to downgrade from 1024m² to 0m² and perhaps doing so might take a little time?

This is my current tier. I have not added any sqm to my account. I only have the free 1024 sqm allotted with a premium account.

tier.thumb.png.fb126a375fbf5ad6f591450b466e70cc.png

On your account page, check the paid tier level and see if you have anything there. If it looks like mine then you have not added and do not need to downgrade at all. 

Now here is Debi's account page:

debiTier.thumb.png.36de7c080910e0a4b56189197e5340c9.png

She does not have a Linden home and has donated all sqm to group. 

I hope this helps to clarify. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

it could take another 6 months to a year

I honestly think you need to be thinking soon .. not kinda soon. I really think the opening is SOON! 

I don't have any insider information. It's just a hunch. But I really think we're going to see the first phase open relatively soon after the closing of the Home and Garden fair. I only say this because I don't want you to not start prepping for the move. I don't want you to be caught off guard saying I wish I had put my land up for sale sooner. 

Agreed that SOON seems likely and there is a talk with Patch at the Best Practices in Education coming up on "what's new".  Forgot all the details but April 4 I believe -- and we are at the end of Q1. AND Patch did say "weeks" -- so soon.  

Also note that Blush found some new builds (what looks like trailers on 512 parcels  -- to me anyway) so there may be some smaller Linden homes mixed in with the 1024s.    Hence Patch's famous comment "Who said anything about only 1024?".  

All exciting to watch come together. 

3 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I honestly think you need to be thinking soon .. not kinda soon. I really think the opening is SOON! 

I don't have any insider information. It's just a hunch. But I really think we're going to see the first phase open relatively soon after the closing of the Home and Garden fair. I only say this because I don't want you to not start prepping for the move. I don't want you to be caught off guard saying I wish I had put my land up for sale sooner. 

If i remember right, Patch said this week it woud be a matter of some weeks, not months anymore.. so thats really soon ..perhaps we see Soon Linden soon  :)

• Like 1

Everyone, thanks for the corrections, I finished reading the SSP thread last night before going to bed. And when I say "finished", I mean "skipped about 90% of the posts on the last ten pages" :D
Anyway, after all that I have read, and after reading Patch's hints, comments and other posts, I must agree now that SSP should be opened very soon™. Plus, the rate of noticeable changes on the SSP continent (Bellisseria) appears to have slowed down, which could indicate that they are currently finetuning and finalizing the 1024m² homes.

There are still lots of open spaces on the SSP continent, especially in the south, but there's nothing which would prevent the Lindens and Moles from either blocking public access to those regions whilst they work on them (to build parks and forests? Or new, differently themed homes?), or to make a carbon copy of those regions then parking those copies somewhere else and build on that, then transplant those regions back on the SSP continent. They have been observed to do that on a smaller scale, like with the demo region at the H&G event, or with a few other regions which they copied off the SSP continent, then parked them north of the continent. This latter process would be trivial in OpenSim, even without rebooting the simulator and it would greatly surprise me if the Lindens couldn't do this just as easily.

So yes, I think they are currently finalizing the continent, after which they would probably just wait for a good moment to set us savages loose on their beautiful continent :D 

• Like 1

I already own 1104m² of mainland (bought for group, so free of tier). Can I also get one of the new Linden Homes and just pay tier on it, I think it's $7 a month for the extra 1024m²,  or do I have to sell/abandon my current mainland to be able to grab a Linden Home? I'd like to have both.

I already own 1104m² of mainland (bought for group, so free of tier). Can I also get one of the new Linden Homes and just pay tier on it, I think it's $7 a month for the extra 1024m²,  or do I have to sell/abandon my current mainland to be able to grab a Linden Home? I'd like to have both.

7 minutes ago, xViXeNx71 said:

The way I understand it, and the way the rules are written, I would say that you have to get rid of your land (you could perhaps sell it to an alt, or your partner or a friend with premium that you trust). Then you will be eligible for a Linden Home, you can then buy back your land and pay tiers for that.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

The way I understand it, and the way the rules are written, I would say that you have to get rid of your land (you could perhaps sell it to an alt, or your partner or a friend with premium that you trust). Then you will be eligible for a Linden Home, you can then buy back your land and pay tiers for that.

That just can't be right (even if the rules may be written that way). I'm 99.9% sure that if you got 1024 sq.m. spare tier you can get yourself a new Linden Premium Home. That's my plan, anyway: there's no chance I'm gonna shed over a region-worth of Mainland to try a Linden Home -- and I'm quite confident I won't need to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

That just can't be right (even if the rules may be written that way). I'm 99.9% sure that if you got 1024 sq.m. spare tier you can get yourself a new Linden Premium Home. That's my plan, anyway: there's no chance I'm gonna shed over a region-worth of Mainland to try a Linden Home -- and I'm quite confident I won't need to.

Your situation is completely different from what xViXeNx71 asked, which was "Can I also get one of the new Linden Homes and just pay tier on it," and the answer to that is no, because Linden Homes are "paid" for with your right to tier-free land of a certain size (used to be 512m², now 1024m² as you know).
You either get tier free mainland parcel, OR a Linden Home. If you want both a mainland parcel AND the Linden Home then you have to give up the idea of getting some tier-free piece of mainland.

53 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Your situation is completely different from what xViXeNx71 asked, which was "Can I also get one of the new Linden Homes and just pay tier on it," and the answer to that is no, because Linden Homes are "paid" for with your right to tier-free land of a certain size (used to be 512m², now 1024m² as you know).
You either get tier free mainland parcel, OR a Linden Home. If you want both a mainland parcel AND the Linden Home then you have to give up the idea of getting some tier-free piece of mainland.

There is no difference between the included premium tier level and a additional paid one. You forget the first line in the question:  "Can I also get one of the new Linden Homes and just pay tier on it,"  The answer to that is in fact: Yes you can, just be sure to have enough tier, or am willingly to raise it before you claim the Linden home.
When you simply hav 512(current situation) sqm of your tier level unused ,no matter if your tier level is 65536 or 1024 sqm , you can get a Linden home. The owning of a additional mainland parcel is of no influence to that.

from the official pages:
If you have a premium account and you have 512m2 available tier then you qualify for a Linden Home.

nothing about restrictions for owning other land/mainland except having enough space in your tier level.

https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000134547-getting-your-linden-home

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, xViXeNx71 said:

As Ethan explained, you can do this. I think what is confusing to Fritigern is how  Vix worded the question. You can add extra sqm to your plan and pay tier on that extra sqm. It doesn't matter how you use that sqm. Whether you use it for a Linden home or not isn't the issue. As long as you have the free sqm and only get one Linden home per premium account you are fine. So the confusion comes from saying pay tier on the new Linden home. What you're actually doing is paying tier on the extra sqm. 

I have 512 of my mainland for sale because I want to free up sqm to increase my available tier so I can move from the current 512 Linden home into the new larger 1024 home. If my land doesn't sell by the time the new homes open, I will add 512 tier to my plan and just pay the increase until my land sells.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, xViXeNx71 said:

By the way, I don't know why it posted my question twice, but the forums were very laggy at the time  lol

Don't worry about it. I've had it happen to me as well. LOL, I didn't even realize it had happened until I edited a reply twice and realized the edits were on different posts of the same reply. I thought I was going nuts for a minute before realizing what had actually happened.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.