Stolen valor on SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1858 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

55 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The actual "plot" of this thread has nothing to do with military spending at all. 

GDP, in addition to the 'totals'.

I'll give you the plot...
The OP's post brings to light a scene in bizarre-O America, where the military is overly worshipped -- so much so that people are increasingly impersonating the military to gain status and committing an offense known as "stolen valor" (according to news sources), and to the degree that some in SL believe this impersonation should be illegal in a fantasy world.

The military is worshipped here more so than in other countries because too many believe it's okay for certain privileged countries to dominate others. Good ole 'Murica is presently at the top of the heap with its military bases threatening repercussions  should they be challenged (most especially regarding the reserve currency for the entire world).
The status quo is maintained through cultural prescriptions, encouraged by various sectors who benefit from these arrangements, bringing it to a nearly religious level in some segments of the country.

Hence, we spend way more money than we should on the military -- way more than other countries do overall  -- in order to uphold our position.
Our position at the top is now more important than the health, education, and safety of its citizens. Much of this money spent on the military should go to health care and various protections other so-called civilized countries enjoy.

So this is how our OP's issue took shape, within the society described above that encourages war, stating his indignation over anyone who would dare pose as a military person in a fantasy world.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Oh for ... This absolute crapfest again?

Hey, how about instead of simply locking the thread, the users who decided to bring Real Life politics in and just couldn't resist trying to pull the thread into a needless "discussion" of said politics ... actually see some kind of action taken to clue them in to not pull that crap?

Do note the description of this section: "Second Life discussions welcome here! Please follow the community guidelines."

Want a discussion of actual real world politics? Take. It. To. Another. Forum.

Generally threads derail AFTER the original topic has run its course. I personally suggested other examples besides military service of appropriating something a person isn't entitled to, in order to gain a benefit.

Others brought politics into the thread, and of course once offered, I'm entitled to reply. I suggest you follow the lead of what's his name and block those that sully the forums with the real world.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1858 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.