I have a locked skin from a demo!

Sammie Kiyori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can wear a skin over but will not replace. I tried removing by their HUD. can't remove it from inventory I am walking around with two skins. seems shady for the company to lock a skin without my permission? I dnt know but please help don't want to see it on me or in my inventory. thank you in advance

my inventory kl lena body basic demo (no modify)(no transfer) locked.

how to unlock it?

Edited by rtthgrls
help

It's a little unclear what the specific problem is here: perhaps you can provide some more detail?

It sounds as though you've demo'd a skin on your mesh body and/or head, and it's still there? The mesh bodies I've used won't let you simply "remove" a skin: like the skin on a system body, you have to replace it with another one to get rid of it. Have you tried reapplying your default skin (that is, the one you were using before)? That should remove the demo.

Alternately, assuming that you still have a fresh copy (which you should), replace your current body (or head) with a new copy made from your original, and start from scratch. But I should think that reapplying your old skin should do the trick.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Thanks 1

The specific make of mesh head and body would help, and possibly the skin demo as well. That's assuming that you are talking about a mesh body and head, and not a system avi with system skins?

Do you have an applier for the skin you were wearing before, or did it come with the body or head?

And, although I'm a bit unclear on this, you seem to be saying that both skins are now on your avi? Do you mean that you've applied them to different layers?

And what do you mean that you can see the demo skin "in your inventory"? If it's an applier skin for mesh, you should see the HUD, but there shouldn't be any indication there of what you're actually wearing? Maybe a screen shot of the relevant folder in your inventory might help?

• Thanks 1

Skins can't be "locked". They can glitch, in which case a relog usually helps. However, from your description, I'm thinking maybe a couple other things. 

1. You're trying to remove the skin. You can't; skins can only be replaced. If you were wearing a separate skin applier, you'll need to reapply it. If you were wearing a default skin, you can deselect it from your head or body HUD.

2. You reapplied your old skin but still have DEMO painted on you somewhere. Clear tattoo layer on your head or body, or blush layer on your head. 

3. You're seeing chunks of a different skin through the one you're wearing. Did you remove your alpha by mistake? Make sure you are wearing a full body alpha, and/or one that includes both head and body. 

ETA: Some head skins include an option to "clear layer" or "remove." This is for makeup, not the skin itself. To get your old skin back, reapply it from your head Master HUD or whatever separate applier you used previously. Again, you cannot remove a skin. 

Edited by Ariel Vuissent
  • Like 1

Seems to be some terminology confusion. Skins are not the same as bodies. Could be a timed demo (those usually detach when time is up though) or RLV lock maybe?

Try logging in with the regular LL viewer and see if you can remove the demo/locked item.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

Seems to be some terminology confusion. Skins are not the same as bodies. Could be a timed demo (those usually detach when time is up though) or RLV lock maybe?

Try logging in with the regular LL viewer and see if you can remove the demo/locked item.

cool what is regular LL viewer

31 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

cool what is regular LL viewer

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's a little unclear what the specific problem is here: perhaps you can provide some more detail?

It sounds as though you've demo'd a skin on your mesh body and/or head, and it's still there? The mesh bodies I've used won't let you simply "remove" a skin: like the skin on a system body, you have to replace it with another one to get rid of it. Have you tried reapplying your default skin (that is, the one you were using before)? That should remove the demo.

Alternately, assuming that you still have a fresh copy (which you should), replace your current body (or head) with a new copy made from your original, and start from scratch. But I should think that reapplying your old skin should do the trick.

At this point, I think what would probably help most is for you to take a snapshot of your entire screen. There's a selection option in the snapshot window to include HUDs in the snapshot; click that, take a nice big photo of your whole screen, and post that here so we can see you and everything you have on/ active.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rtthgrls said:

I hope this get to all that helped me! greatly appreciated and what a nice community. but because I am a premier I called and they reset my avatar. so a clean slate! to demo my next thinking Maitreya. again thank you for your time!

Prior to demoing a mesh body such as Maitreya, I would suggest doing a couple of things first:

1.  Save the current fixed version of yourself as an outfit.  Click on the Appearance tab on the viewer (it may just show as a tab with a shirt icon on it) and then do a "Save as" on the bottom of the appearance window - name it something like "base outfit".  Then if something gets mixed up later, you can fit this outfit in your inventory under "My Outfits", right click on it and choose "Replace Current Outfit".  This will let you reset your classic body yourself. 

2.  Be sure to read through the instructions that come with the mesh body demo so that you have an idea of what happens when you use a mesh body, and so that you understand the steps involved and which items from the demo folder need to be worn.  

• Like 1

I note that you're a member of the Lena Lush Body group inworld. That, and the details in your initial post -

5 hours ago, rtthgrls said:

my inventory kl lena body basic demo (no modify)(no transfer) locked.

- suggest that you're wearing a demo of the Lena body and it's a timed demo. A timed demo is one that - after a set length of time (usually between five and fifteen minutes) will 'lock' and stop working, meaning that you can no longer change anything about it. Sometimes the scripts that stop these timed demos from working can cause issues if you're still wearing the demo at the moment of time-out. (I've seen at least one other case very similar to yours.) Since a demo body is - as its name suggests - just for demonstration purposes, it's only intended to be tried out to see if you like it enough to pay for the full version, which doesn't time out or lock. A demo - unless it's marketed as a "wearable demo" - is not intended to be worn full time.

Note that a timed demo will usually announce itself with a warning in local chat. Below is a series of local chat timed demo announcements/warnings from a store whose clothing I was trying out a couple of months ago:

[2019/01/05 16:02]  Bakaboo - Luka Pants - Slink:
 WARNING, You have 5 minutes for try this demo.
[2019/01/05 16:02]  **Bakaboo - Luka Pants - Color Hud:
[2019/01/05 16:02]  Bakaboo - Luka Suit - Slink:

You should simply be able to remove the body by right-clicking it in your inventory and selecting 'detach'. You will also need to remove any alpha layer that you had to wear with the body. That said, though -

5 hours ago, rtthgrls said:

can't remove it from inventory I am walking around with two skins

- the above suggests that you tried to remove the body via the inventory and have only removed the alpha (hence the 'two skins'. You're seeing the underlying system avatar's skin as well as the mesh body's skin). If you really cannot remove the body by detaching it from your inventory, then your only option is to reset your avatar.

To reset your avatar you will need to look at the top menu bar of your viewer. At the far left you will see either 'Avatar' or 'Me'. Click that and - in the resulting dropdown - look for 'Avatar Health'. Inside that pop-out menu, look for and click 'Reset Default Female Avatar (Character Test)'. This will set your avatar back to the basic 'girl next door' look, but it will definitely remove the demo body. You can also look for the small viewer 'Avatar' toolbar button that looks like a man and woman standing together, and click that to see a menu of all the other default starter avatars that you can switch to. Any one of them will reset your avatar and remove the locked demo.

1 hour ago, rtthgrls said:

hopefully time will cure it Haha still will not remove. what is RLV lock

Time will not 'cure' an issue such as the one you're having. And if you need to ask what RLV is then you're probably not using it. It's something that only exists in certain third-party viewers, and you have to enable it specifically.

ETA: I see from posts that have been made while I was typing that you have contacted Linden Lab Support and they have reset your avatar for you. Please do still read the above, as it explains why you had the issue that you did, and will help you avoid the same thing happening again as well as explaining a bit more about how basic avatar customisation works. It also explains how to reset your avatar yourself, rather than having to contact Support to do it.

Don't let a small issue like this put you off. The creator was not "being shady"; they simply used a method to stop people from taking their free demonstration body and using it all the time, rather than paying them for the work they put into creating the full body.

Edited by Skell Dagger
Added more info about timed demos announcing themselves as such
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.