Particle Collision

SmacemanSpiff Grau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to trigger a collision event if an avatar touches particles emitted by an object?   Example: Joe walks by my box that is shooting out sparks.  One of the sparks hits Joe (Joe never touches the actual box) and he then catches on fire.  

While I feel bad for Joe because he wasn't wearing flame retardant mesh clothing, I'm curious if this is possible.  If not, any suggestions on how to work around it?

Thanks for any direction.

Smace

Sadly no, particles can not be interacted with in that way. But if the shower of spark particles being emitted by the object is in a static location, you could use an invisible prim to serve as a collision detector.

Edited by Fenix Eldritch
  • Like 1

Depending on the kind of weapon... you might try a llVolumeDetect projectile, which makes the object a sort of phantom, but will still register collision_start events.

Oh! I forgot about llCastRay too. It works like a laser tripwire.. for a single pulse anyway. You could use that in a stationary location, or in a moving one.

Edit: I forgot to add that having your target catch fire might be getting into potential griefing territory if not done extremely carefully. A safe way to do this could be requiring the participating avatars to wear a fire attachment that can be activated when it receives a signal from the spark emitter.

Edited by Fenix Eldritch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.